• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** HIGH-END 2080TI's NOW IN STOCK: STRIX, TRIO, LIGHTNING, AORUS, WATER-COOLED ALL IN STOCK!!! ***

Associate
Do you have any plans to sell the RTX Titan?

CaseKing sell the cards

https://www.caseking.de/en/nvidia-titan-rtx-24576-mb-gddr6-gcnv-009.html

It is a bit late for me this time but I prefer to buy all my components if possible from OcUK because of the great service and support.

It would be nice to have Titans for sale here. The Nvidia Store can be an interesting experience - support takes a long time to get a proper response from, there's no proper next day delivery, sometimes shipping emails arrive after the item does, etc. It seems like after GTX Titan Kepler and Maxwell, Nvidia locked Titans down to their store. But now they do seem to be pop up outside again so I assume it isn't something they are enforcing anymore.

Man of Honour
It would be nice to have Titans for sale here. The Nvidia Store can be an interesting experience - support takes a long time to get a proper response from, there's no proper next day delivery, sometimes shipping emails arrive after the item does, etc. It seems like after GTX Titan Kepler and Maxwell, Nvidia locked Titans down to their store. But now they do seem to be pop up outside again so I assume it isn't something they are enforcing anymore.

I am not happy buying anything direct from NVidia as I don't think the support is anywhere near as good as OcUK.

Associate
There will always be room for high spec gaming PCs.

Not really the jumps in performance vs price increase will really bring high end gaming PC's to an end and when sales drop so will developer support. Any honest person will admit that generational upgrades are getting more and more an expensive extravagance than a necessity or even just a justified performance boost based on cost.

The truth is people who grow up playing console generally stay on that platform in adult life, most of us on this forum grew up in a time when PC gaming was vastly superior to consoles and the price difference much closer, when we have consoles which can produce the same level of gaming experience with PC basically providing higher frame rates how many people are going to game on PC when a mid tier PC would cost you over triple the price of the console and high end could easily be 8- 10 times the price, the question we should be asking is how can a console manufacturer put mid-high end hardware into £500-700 console but PC users are priced double that just for a stand alone GPU card.

Man of Honour
Not really the jumps in performance vs price increase will really bring high end gaming PC's to an end and when sales drop so will developer support. Any honest person will admit that generational upgrades are getting more and more an expensive extravagance than a necessity or even just a justified performance boost based on cost.

The truth is people who grow up playing console generally stay on that platform in adult life, most of us on this forum grew up in a time when PC gaming was vastly superior to consoles and the price difference much closer, when we have consoles which can produce the same level of gaming experience with PC basically providing higher frame rates how many people are going to game on PC when a mid tier PC would cost you over triple the price of the console and high end could easily be 8- 10 times the price, the question we should be asking is how can a console manufacturer put mid-high end hardware into £500-700 console but PC users are priced double that just for a stand alone GPU card.

I grew up in a time when PCs were more than 20x the price of consoles and the former are still going strong.

Associate
Actually I would just get the MSI gaming trio X for £1199 on preorder from somewhere else.. 20% saving for probably less than 0.5% performance

Associate
Rightly or wrongly I'm seeing the Lightning Z as a real OC enthusiasts card that can get hot and noisy and should probably be under water with a warranty service I know northing about and the FTW3 as clocked slightly lower out of the box but with the same OC potential and has the best warranty in the business? Fair?

Associate
Yeah i would say thats fair. Evga do seem spot on regarding warranty. I do also like the fact they send you a replacement (charge your card and refund when received) before they receive the faulty one

Soldato
I’m happy with my purchase if my 2080ti I no ppl don’t like them .but to me I’m happy with my card and can’t say enough about OCuk they have been really exellent with all my rma s with all my kit and I’ll be gettin all my kit of them in future best support ever!.

Soldato
If you want, for example, low latency esports-type stuff or high VR performance with foveated rendering, there are a number of problems:

1) The speed of light
2) The light bounces as it travels through the fibre cable. This adds a lot of distance - to solve this we'd need to a) invent something vastly thinner yet stronger and b) replace all cabling in the world with it.
3) Light moves more slowly through the material than in a vacuum.
4) Every router and cable connection adds further latency as we move between material contacts.

If you're the kind of person who buys a gaming monitor for 1ms response and that sort of stuff - not to mention demands of forthcoming VR, then we're already in trouble before we even move into other problems.

Cloud gaming may well replace the low end pc gaming market and low end gaming laptop segments - at 30fps, the increased response doesn't matter as much. But to think of the "internet" as an ever exponentially increasing performance commodity is as wrong as assuming that cpus will endlessly node shrink to go faster. They won't, Physics exists.

Obviously can't disagree with the gist here, and I do agree with you that high end gaming PCs aren't going away any time soon but I personally see (at least) two big things that threaten it in the relatively near future.

Firstly, you are completely correct that the latency can only be improved by so much, but do bear in mind that there may be other solutions to this both in the near future and others further away that haven't been thought of yet. Microsoft has been making noises about their upcoming gaming cloud infrastructure, and I believe I remember reading that they have been putting a lot of work into splitting the games into latency sensitive and non sensitive tasks, the former runs locally and the latter can be offloaded to the cloud. In theory at least it allows much lower end hardware at the user's end with a lot of the heavy lifting done elsewhere while still maintaining a local-esque latency feel.

Secondly, what will happen to the high end if the mid range money factory does indeed lose out to the cloud... will the money be there to fund all the R&D required for these high end cards? Obviously someone has to provide the processing clout needed for the cloud servers, but what do the margins look like compared to selling all the individual people their own cards?

Associate
Integrated graphics will cover the low end, Cloud gaming hasn't found its place yet because imho it cannot answer enough of the use cases.

I think what we'll see is a reluctance from developers to push the graphical demands because the buy-in too high end; PC gaming has never been more niche. So you'll just see these gimmicks and half hearted efforts for the next few years. It is what it is the market has basically stifled its of progression so here we will stay for a good year or two.

OcUK Staff
OP
Integrated graphics will cover the low end, Cloud gaming hasn't found its place yet because imho it cannot answer enough of the use cases.

I think what we'll see is a reluctance from developers to push the graphical demands because the buy-in too high end; PC gaming has never been more niche. So you'll just see these gimmicks and half hearted efforts for the next few years. It is what it is the market has basically stifled its of progression so here we will stay for a good year or two.

The AMD integrated graphics are now so good its really removed the need for stuff like RX 550's and 1030's which are not far off £100 anyway, so discreet for gaming is now really 1050 and RX 560 upwards. Plus discreet manufacturers prefer making high-end cards, better for both revenues and profits.

Back
Top Bottom