Cheapest way to get an AM4 bracket?

Associate
I have a Silver-Arrow SB-E extreme and have recently got a Ryzen 1700 and MSI X370 carbon pro. I was under the impression that you could get a free monting kit for AM4, but it turns out the you need to pay $25 shipping & handling + fees would would probably end up being in excess od £20, more than a third the original cost of the heatsink. So what is the cheapest way to get a Thermalright monting kit for AM4?

Soldato
I have a Silver-Arrow SB-E extreme and have recently got a Ryzen 1700 and MSI X370 carbon pro. I was under the impression that you could get a free monting kit for AM4, but it turns out the you need to pay $25 shipping & handling + fees would would probably end up being in excess od £20, more than a third the original cost of the heatsink. So what is the cheapest way to get a Thermalright monting kit for AM4?
AM2/AM3 mounting hole spacing is 48x96mm.
AM4 mounting hole spacing is 54.18x90mm.
Link below to Thermalright shows where the AM4 mounting holes are and how to go about getting an AM4 mount from Thermalright.
http://thermalright.com/2017/02/21/thermalright-amd-am4-cpu-mount-upgrade/

You basically have 2 choices, contact Thermalright and request AM4 mount or if you are in a rush drill AM4 holes in your existing mount.

Cheapest way would be to drill the AM4 mounting holes in our existing mount, but it does require a skill set and tools. Best is drill press, 2nd best is hand drill .. and of course a good drill bit .. and maybe a file to clean-up as needed. Both would require center punching where holes need to be drilled.

I have drill press but got AM4 mount from Thermalright anyway.

Associate
OP
AM2/AM3 mounting hole spacing is 48x96mm.
AM4 mounting hole spacing is 54.18x90mm.
Link below to Thermalright shows where the AM4 mounting holes are and how to go about getting an AM4 mount from Thermalright.
http://thermalright.com/2017/02/21/thermalright-amd-am4-cpu-mount-upgrade/

You basically have 2 choices, contact Thermalright and request AM4 mount or if you are in a rush drill AM4 holes in your existing mount.

Cheapest way would be to drill the AM4 mounting holes in our existing mount, but it does require a skill set and tools. Best is drill press, 2nd best is hand drill .. and of course a good drill bit .. and maybe a file to clean-up as needed. Both would require center punching where holes need to be drilled.

I have drill press but got AM4 mount from Thermalright anyway.

I don't have a drill and have no idea where the original bracket is, what cooler do you have and how much did the mounting kit cost you?

Soldato
I don't have a drill and have no idea where the original bracket is, what cooler do you have and how much did the mounting kit cost you?
I have many coolers with all that I've got in last 13 months have AM4 mounts, but that doesn't matter. I don't have any AM4 systems so haven't bought any AM4 mounts.

I posted link in previous post to Thermalright so you could contact them for AM4 mount. If I needed an AM4 mount for one of my older coolers I would contact Thermalright to get it.

Associate
OP
He did and they want a $25 shipping and handling fee. It states in the link that the kit is free but you need to pay for shipping and handling.

I would be happy to pay a reasonable about for shipping, but $25 via PayPal is more than a third of the cost that the very high end cooler was on the first place, and well in excess of lower end coolers and not to mention the actual cost of the basket, you can get brackets for water cooling heatsinks for £1.99 for example.

Man of Honour
Exactly, it's a rip off. If they made them available to retailers you would probably be less than a tenner including delivery but by forcing people to go through them that "free" upgrade kit is costing $25 and making them more money. It's a pretty poor way to treat your customers after they have paid a premium for one of their coolers.

Associate
OP
What Themalirght website quoted you the $25 postage fee? What is their email address?

I contacted [email protected] that I found the Thermalright site regarding the AM4 upgrade programme, similar to the one posted earlier, although that page lists a .de address. Not Sure if it's a different page or if its changed since I contacted them, I first contacted them a while ago before I purchased the CPU asking about compatibility.

I'll contact the .de address and see if they say anything different.

Last edited:
Soldato
I contacted [email protected] that I found the Thermalright site regarding the AM4 upgrade programme, similar to the one posted earlier, although that page lists a .de address. Not Sure if it's a different page or if its changed since I contacted them, I first contacted them a while ago before I purchased the CPU asking about compatibility.

I'll contact the .de address and see if they say anything different.

Where on Earth are you loacated?

Thermalright has multiple distribution/support areas.
The Americas, Australia, Africa, etc are .com support area.
Europe, Russia, etc. are .de support area
China is another support area.

Associate
OP
Soldato
All I have is what is needed when using it with LGA 2011, the tension plate, 4 screw pillars and 6 screws.
That's a bummer. So you have a bit squarish open centered plate, crossbar that goes over cooler base and 6x screws for it to attach to LGA2011 pillars. Those are the easy parts to find. You need a back plate and all it's pillars & screws to attach to what you have .. both back and front plates need drilled for AM4. While I have a few extra bits and pieces I seriously doubt I have a complete kit. I'm in the process of moving so can't even dig through things anyway. Thermalright does not even sell a mount for Silver Arrow SB-E. The TRUE bolt through mount is for the thick based coolers like Archon, original Silver Arrow, HR-02, etc. All newer coolers are thinner based except for Archon series, so only way you could use the TRUE bolt through kit is with a spacer between crossbar and your Silver Arrow SB-E cooler base. If I had a couple of weeks I could make you a spacer but you would need to get one of the TRUE bolt through kits.
http://www.thermalright.de/en/accessories/48/true-bolt-through-kit?c=11

Associate
OP
That's a bummer. So you have a bit squarish open centered plate, crossbar that goes over cooler base and 6x screws for it to attach to LGA2011 pillars. Those are the easy parts to find. You need a back plate and all it's pillars & screws to attach to what you have .. both back and front plates need drilled for AM4. While I have a few extra bits and pieces I seriously doubt I have a complete kit. I'm in the process of moving so can't even dig through things anyway. Thermalright does not even sell a mount for Silver Arrow SB-E. The TRUE bolt through mount is for the thick based coolers like Archon, original Silver Arrow, HR-02, etc. All newer coolers are thinner based except for Archon series, so only way you could use the TRUE bolt through kit is with a spacer between crossbar and your Silver Arrow SB-E cooler base. If I had a couple of weeks I could make you a spacer but you would need to get one of the TRUE bolt through kits.
http://www.thermalright.de/en/accessories/48/true-bolt-through-kit?c=11

Actually come to think of it I have extra fan clips somewhere, hopefully there is more there. I don't mind waiting until Thermaltight de gets more in stock, its actually nice to upgrade after the initial upgrade to the system.

Associate
OP
I contacted them again, and the bracket is back in stock. Although it is no longer free, despite what their site says. It now costs 5€ with 5€ shipping and 1.99€ for screws I might need.

Soldato
Not sure if I should spend the £15 or so, try and get them to waiver the 5€ or try and get a bracket from elsewhere.
Sorry to be so blunt, but to put htis all into perspective your a Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme, one of the very best if not the very best high-performance air cooler available in the world, and you have it setting on a shelf collecting dust because you can't deside if you want to spend £15 to upgrade the mount.

Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme TY-143 fans are ball-bearing meaning they will run for many many years without issues, so there is nothing to wear out with this cooler. Only problem is your mount.

Also keep in mind the case airflow must be increased to supply the 140+cfm Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme fans flow. Uf case isn't flowing 140cfm to SB-E Extreme, cooler has to re-use it's own heated exhaust air to make up the difference .. and every degree warmer the air into cooler is translates to same number of degrees hotter CPU is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom