• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
That was a timespy stress test at default, I touched nothing, it crashed before the end and gave me a 0 failed
The temps were 92 core and 115 junction

I then tried with a 10mv undervolt and it instantly crashed on the stress test

I turned the fans to 100% just now and ran the stress test at default. It passed the test but the junction was 109.c for the majority of the run.
So In conclusion, unless I run the card at 100% fan all the time, my games will crash.

First, I have been reading this thread (and others regarding the Radeon VII) since launch and want to thank you for all your information shared, very appreciated.

Second, since I got my card yesterday I would like to give some feedback regarding your problems Illuminist.
I think your temperature is way to high, I believe 110°C ist the point where thermal throtteling occurs and I think you shouldnt pass that if possible.
Have you checked the airflow to the card in your case? How are your mainboard temperatures?
I attached my results for two 10+mins Timespy Extreme (@1080p) stress test runs with stock and undervolt + underclock settings for comparison to your results. I also added my motherboard temperatures and the 3dmark resultpage for comparison.
My card also hits 109°C TJunction in steady state at the stress test, but lowering voltage und clock it only reaches 87°C with the fan rapidly switching between 2100 rpm and 2900rpm (needs tuning so it stays quite).
Also you could try to carefully increase the mounting pressure on the backplate like descibed here under "hotspot": https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/33.html
It should be enough to tighten slightly the two opposing screws without the sticker, so warrenty is not voided.

Also, if undervolting try to activate the manuel fan curve. I have the impression the automatic fan curve is not working correctly and the fans do not spin as much as they should, so temperature rises to high (need to confirm this though).
Another bug is that the rpm is read out falsely in WattMan from time to time in manuell mode. It stays at ~900rpm even though temperature suggests a higher spin rate as well as acoustics of the fan xD.

I have the impression my card undervolts rather good but I still need to figure things out.
Here are my results for stock settings (1801MHz@1071mv):
stock_timespy.jpg

board_stock.JPG

3dmark_stock.JPG

Here the results of 1700 Core clock @938mv:

1700_938mv_timespyv2.jpg

board_1700.JPG

3dmark_1700.JPG

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Lev

Lev

Associate
Returning my card as of today.

It's not worth the headache I keep having with games black screening to a restart.

I've done everything, including a fresh w10 install, and the problem has persisted. It's either the card or the driver, but at this point I'm too frustrating to care which.

Associate
Returning my card as of today.

It's not worth the headache I keep having with games black screening to a restart.

I've done everything, including a fresh w10 install, and the problem has persisted. It's either the card or the driver, but at this point I'm too frustrating to care which.
Sounds like it's over heating to me. The fan curve seems to go a little into a world of its own in some cases if settings are tweaked in wattman. Or are you getting these issues with stock settings?

Lev

Lev

Associate
Sounds like it's over heating to me. The fan curve seems to go a little into a world of its own in some cases if settings are tweaked in wattman. Or are you getting these issues with stock settings?
I wish it was overheating.

I've had the issue even when underclocking AND undervolting the card (down as far as 1650/960mV), and still replicating the issue. During this, I set a manual fan curve to never go above 50% fan speed, and monitored temps while stress testing, and saw junction never reach 90. This is not an overheating issue.

Associate
I wish it was overheating.

I've had the issue even when underclocking AND undervolting the card (down as far as 1650/960mV), and still replicating the issue. During this, I set a manual fan curve to never go above 50% fan speed, and monitored temps while stress testing, and saw junction never reach 90. This is not an overheating issue.
Fair enough, sounds like an RMA is a good idea. Just one thing, what PSU are you using and are you running 2 separate 8 pin power cables to the card?

Lev

Lev

Associate
Fair enough, sounds like an RMA is a good idea. Just one thing, what PSU are you using and are you running 2 separate 8 pin power cables to the card?
750w evga supernova g2, yes two separate cables.

I first assumed it was a PSU limitation, until I started reading about more people having similar issues.

At this point it's either sapphire related (model I own I say this because the other user having similar issues has a sapphire model https://youtu.be/JDFviKeGOVA?t=952 ; plus there are two users here that I saw with similar issues as well[unknown model]), a fault with x number of cards, or driver related. I'm leaning toward driver related, but I want to RMA anyways just to be sure.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My V64 is not a great clocker as others I have seen.

QtrACmw.jpg

Seems as if clock for clock no gains on VEGA20. Sorta of shame as they respun die to have more thermal sensors, etc but no other improvements.

There looks to be a lot of headroom on the core and memory for Radeon VII, more so than Vega 64.

I have an excellent overclocking V64 Liquid, does up to 1175Mhz on the HBM and achieves high core clocks with a -0.050mv undervolt from stock.

I am uploading a video of V64 Liquid Vs Radeon VII at the same clock speeds for core/memory set in Wattman.

There is a huge difference in the power draw between the two.

I will post the YT videos here once they have uploaded and processed.

Sneak peak of the results though (which don't show the power draw differences)
Radeon VII
ac5sZZP.jpg

Vega 64 Liquid
YH37rR8.jpg

Man of Honour
In terms of tjunction mine seems to sit around the high 90s in benchmarks, the highest I have seen it in any task is about 103.

Caporegime
There looks to be a lot of headroom on the core and memory for Radeon VII, more so than Vega 64.

I have an excellent overclocking V64 Liquid, does up to 1175Mhz on the HBM and achieves high core clocks with a -0.050mv undervolt from stock.

I am uploading a video of V64 Liquid Vs Radeon VII at the same clock speeds for core/memory set in Wattman.

There is a huge difference in the power draw between the two.

I will post the YT videos here once they have uploaded and processed.

Sneak peak of the results though (which don't show the power draw differences)
Radeon VII
ac5sZZP.jpg

Vega 64 Liquid
YH37rR8.jpg

Radeon VII

ac5sZZP.jpg

Vega 64 Liquid

YH37rR8.jpg

Permabanned
@LtMatt , Hi, You're just showing that to make me feel better. :D My cpu oddity was 3DMark recording my 2700x as boosting to 4.7 ghz. I wish. Maybe it's replacement will in the Summer. :D

My stock VII isn't that far ahead of what my overclocked V64 could manage.https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/16907464/fs/18241004

Undervolting the VII has had a big effect on the noise levels & for 3440x1440 it's a great card.

I've an issue I could do with help fixing, I record using Wattman & I want to upload some footage now & then but for the last year or so everything I upload comes with a letterbox view, I can't figure out what is causing it & any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

They've gone from looking like this:
to this:
& I'm not sure why.

Also I put a VII result in the Dirt Rally bench thread, I know you suggested starting a new thread but Dirt Rally 2's out in a few weeks so if it has a benchmark included I'll do one for that if no-one beats me to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
First, I have been reading this thread (and others regarding the Radeon VII) since launch and want to thank you for all your information shared, very appreciated.

Second, since I got my card yesterday I would like to give some feedback regarding your problems Illuminist.
I think your temperature is way to high, I believe 110°C ist the point where thermal throtteling occurs and I think you shouldnt pass that if possible.
Have you checked the airflow to the card in your case? How are your mainboard temperatures?
I attached my results for two 10+mins Timespy Extreme (@1080p) stress test runs with stock and undervolt + underclock settings for comparison to your results. I also added my motherboard temperatures and the 3dmark resultpage for comparison.
My card also hits 109°C TJunction in steady state at the stress test, but lowering voltage und clock it only reaches 87°C with the fan rapidly switching between 2100 rpm and 2900rpm (needs tuning so it stays quite).
Also you could try to carefully increase the mounting pressure on the backplate like descibed here under "hotspot
It should be enough to tighten slightly the two opposing screws without the sticker, so warrenty is not voided.

Also, if undervolting try to activate the manuel fan curve. I have the impression the automatic fan curve is not working correctly and the fans do not spin as much as they should, so temperature rises to high (need to confirm this though).
Another bug is that the rpm is read out falsely in WattMan from time to time in manuell mode. It stays at ~900rpm even though temperature suggests a higher spin rate as well as acoustics of the fan xD.

I have the impression my card undervolts rather good but I still need to figure things out.
Here are my results for stock settings (1801MHz@1071mv)

Hope that helps.
750w evga supernova g2, yes two separate cables.

I first assumed it was a PSU limitation, until I started reading about more people having similar issues.

At this point it's either sapphire related (model I own I say this because the other user having similar issues has a sapphire model https://youtu.be/JDFviKeGOVA?t=952 ; plus there are two users here that I saw with similar issues as well[unknown model]), a fault with x number of cards, or driver related. I'm leaning toward driver related, but I want to RMA anyways just to be sure.
First of all it is a sapphire card.
My motherboard is very cool at 50.c I have 2 140mm maglev fans pumping air into my case, I even tried with the side panel off and it's a similar story
I cannot, repeat cannot undervolt at all so any hope of reducing these temps is impossible.
All I can do it run 100% fans and ride the 105 - 110.c while gaming resulting in 1650 clocks some of the time.
I have tried a fresh install also and wish it was the driver but I think not, I will try the new asrock bios on techpowerup later today and see if that does anything at all
But it's looking like it's an extremely massively poor sample of the chip, I cannot touch any settings if I want to game other than more fan.
Benchmarks seem completely fine ish though I was 38th place on 3dmark with 8961 points in timespy
I just don't get it

Caporegime
@LtMatt , Hi, You're just showing that to make me feel better. :D My cpu oddity was 3DMark recording my 2700x as boosting to 4.7 ghz. I wish. Maybe it's replacement will in the Summer. :D

My stock VII isn't that far ahead of what my overclocked V64 could manage.https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/16907464/fs/18241004

Undervolting the VII has had a big effect on the noise levels & for 3440x1440 it's a great card.

I've an issue I could do with help fixing, I record using Wattman & want to upload some but for the last 6year or so everything I upload comes with a letterbox image as you can see when compared against my uploads before, I can't figure out what is causing it & any help would be appreciated.

They've gone from looking like this:
to this:
& I'm not sure why.

Also I put a VII result in the Dirt Rally bench thread, I know you suggested starting a new thread but Dirt Rally 2's out in a few weeks so if it has a benchmark included I'll do one for that if no-one beats me to it.
Try tweaking Display Scaling under Radeon Settings > Dsiplay or perhaps, ReLive recording resolution.

Permabanned
GPU Scaling does not need to be enabled to adjust the scaling options.
BHJpJDo.jpg

That's a bit odd, I turned GPU scaling on & recorded a quick race in Dirt 4 & it's fixed it. I already have it as preserve aspect ratio so I haven't touched that, it doesn't matter though it's fixed so all is good in my World again. :D Thanks.

Associate
That well known manufacturer of gpu's Asrock has cards in stock for £750. :eek:
"ASRock Inc. is a Taiwan-based electronics manufacturer which focuses on the development of motherboards, industrial PCs and HTPCs. ASRock was originally spun off from Asus in 2002 in order to compete with companies like Foxconn for the commodity OEM market."
£50 less that Asus too, Bargain lol.

Back
Top Bottom