• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
Funny thing is the logo is exactly the same size, just moved forward and that piece of aluminium blocking the fins removed. Bit odd why this seemingly never occurred to them, i mean if you look at the pcie power connectors they even have little portions cut out for some fins to show through, yet for the main top area of the card they thought it better to taper it in heavily with aluminium. :confused: Nvidia did exactly the same thing with the turing coolers, the geforce logo tapered in heavily blocking off the fins and minimising the amount of space that air could be funneled through. Though they done it at both the top and bottom of the card which was doubly dumb.

Whether this makes much of a difference in reality we'll never know, unless someone willing to take a hacksaw to their coolers :p

I have to agree, I thought the logo was smaller to be honest, but even so that little detail of allowing the air to move more freely could equate to a few C less in temp. maybe when the warranty is out I will get the Dremel out:p 2 years 363 days to go :D

Associate
you could make another shroud out of cardboard or something to test it, maybe? cant remmber if the shroud comes off easily in a non warrenty voiding way. but yeah theres often asthetics led choices on coolers still that are stupid.

and in this case its obivous and silly free performance they giving up, whatever the gain is.

Soldato
Pointless product, I want to support AMD but they've given us zero incentive to purchase this card.

It performs about as well as a 2080 for the same price as the cheapest 2080 models. It lacks some features but has more memory and no doubt needs a bit more fiddling to get rid of the fan noise. If you are in the market for a GPU at £650 I can't understand why you would have zero incentive to purchase.

Permabanned
It performs about as well as a 2080 for the same price as the cheapest 2080 models. It lacks some features but has more memory and no doubt needs a bit more fiddling to get rid of the fan noise. If you are in the market for a GPU at £650 I can't understand why you would have zero incentive to purchase.

Slightly slower overall vs an RTX2080, uses more power, makes more noise, no Ray Tracing.

Why would you buy one over the RTX2080, makes no sense to me whether it's the cheaper model or not.

Associate
Slightly slower overall vs an RTX2080, uses more power, makes more noise, no Ray Tracing.

Why would you buy one over the RTX2080, makes no sense to me whether it's the cheaper model or not.

It's better at content creation and mining. It seems likely AMD are actually targeting these markets. VRAM will help at 4k in future games too.

Soldato

Because 8gb RAM is a bit tight on a £650 card and AMD have a reputation of wringing extra performance out of their cards, while nVidia let their old ones rot.

Since I've just bought a gsync monitor, I won't be purchasing a Radeon 7, but I can understand why it's an ok product. It lacks polish, that's all.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom