What do you want out of biking and where are you going, in 2019?

Soldato
OP
I'd agree with all that. It also avoids the common mistake of buying an overly expensive 125 and then selling it 3 months later, either because you don't like biking or because you do and want a bigger bike.

Associate
I'd like to get my full license this year, but I'm also tempted to get a cheap 125 just to get some more experience and build up my confidence.

It's a world I know not much about so...any suggestions? Was just looking at Malt's thread and it's piqued my interest!

Nah go full licence. A 125 is like messing around on a pedalo versus a jet ski, no way to compare the two. Sell your soul and get a big bike.

My advice is ride as many as you can and see what you like. I grew up on out and out sports bikes but now have 2 modern retros and a sports tourer. I get more joy out of my thruxton than I did my GSXR1000.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd like to get my full license this year, but I'm also tempted to get a cheap 125 just to get some more experience and build up my confidence.

It's a world I know not much about so...any suggestions? Was just looking at Malt's thread and it's piqued my interest!

It's entirely up to you mind, but I wouldn't bother with a 125. If you're over 21, or whatever it is for an unrestricted license, and can afford it - just go for a full unrestricted license. Trust me, you'll learn to respect a bike pretty quickly, and if you've been driving for a while, then confidence will come along pretty quickly too.

Personally I went from zero experience with bikes, to an unrestricted 636 Ninja, then onto a 1000cc R1 :D I did DAS, which I don't think exists any more, as there's a few more hoops to clear these days; but it really was a complete eye opener just how much better a 'big bike' is than a 125. They do everything better, and make your job as a rider much easier, so you get to work on those spidey senses - keeping an eye on all the ****s in cars!

Whatever you decide, best of luck, and I'm sure you'll love it :)

Back
Top Bottom