Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

Man of Honour
Remember that it would have been measured in gross back then....basically an engine on the stand with no accessories etc. Modern day (net) it'll be more like 250bhp I'd guess.

Also love how much american muscle has been seen over the last couple of weeks!

A lot of people forget this, the old mechanically coupled coolings fans can consume upwards of 50hp alone

Soldato
So what would the equivalent be today if it was say 300 in the 60's? I know a lot of american cars put out quite lower hp/tonne (excluding the ones on the grand tour). It seems to me they're NA engines are just weedier than the european versions (albeit not many of those around now). Although fair play to them for sticking with it and not just slashing displacement and sticking a turbo on.

Soldato
They aren't as efficient as European ones, but they tend to be bomb proof.

Euro engines are dainty and complicated with very tight tolerances. American ones are...well, American.

Soldato
So what would the equivalent be today if it was say 300 in the 60's? I know a lot of american cars put out quite lower hp/tonne (excluding the ones on the grand tour). It seems to me they're NA engines are just weedier than the european versions (albeit not many of those around now). Although fair play to them for sticking with it and not just slashing displacement and sticking a turbo on.

Yeah I mean that climate change... made up right?

Personally I'm happier that people are managing or trying to make cool looking fast cars that don't require antiquated technology.

the noise is a loss fair enough, but I think what you're mourning here is progress.

Soldato
Yeah I mean that climate change... made up right?

Personally I'm happier that people are managing or trying to make cool looking fast cars that don't require antiquated technology.

the noise is a loss fair enough, but I think what you're mourning here is progress.
Apart from when turboed cars are used at the limit they probably produce the same amout of pollution as the older NA ones (obviously not when cruising). And lets face it, the amount of these big engined cars are sold in so few number compared to a mainstream car that pollution is a small factor.

Soldato
Apart from when turboed cars are used at the limit they probably produce the same amout of pollution as the older NA ones (obviously not when cruising). And lets face it, the amount of these big engined cars are sold in so few number compared to a mainstream car that pollution is a small factor.

Yeah I get it I'm being awkward for the sake of it although I highly doubt a massively turboed smaller engine ever gets within a country mile of using the same fuel as a big block US type car which is what we were talking about.

Also.. again whilst it's a fractionally small part of the overall market there's no no money in it as things have moved on so you're unlikely to get much in new development.. why would anyone bother?

Soldato
Turbo cars produce more emissions than a NA engine of the same size usually, or even bigger ones when driven quickly. But it's harder to fudge emissions test using a NA engine as they are more consistent.

Last edited:
Soldato
Obviously not a valid comparison.
Might just be a slight power difference lol. I do like the look of some of the older muscle cars and Tbh I know I'm being stubborn as I've gone from an older turbo car to a more modern NA (911 to M3) and quite frankly I preferred the drive of the turbo car for daily use. Turbo cars are much easier to drive as there's normally more torque available.

Soldato
Is there a situation under which clamping is still legal on private land? Saw this two weeks ago in a newish residential estate.

yRzwSoF.jpg

2Jzjuuf.jpg
JosQVkQ

Soldato
those have to be the naffest looking clamps i've ever seen,

personally i'd have a pair of spare wheels and leave the 2 clamped wheels on the road ;)

Back
Top Bottom