Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...smart-wifi-upgrade-for-broadband-routers.html

If disabling it fixed your issues, I would leave it disabled.

.608 firmware added it but I believe it has been greyed out for a while and now its in trial to some customers.

@Merlin5, not sure what settings are available on the SH3 but if you can try setting your 2.4ghz to a set channel, try 1,6 or 11 and use a wifi analyser to check the least used. Also if possible use 20mhz channel bandwidth on the 2.4ghz band.

It got added in the firmware within the last 4 months, VM engineer when he came advised leaving it off as it was causing issues especially if your in a area with other people on VM.

Thanks guys. At the moment it's fine with it still enabled, but if it happens again then I'll disable it for good. But I'll also look into your suggestion for setting a channel for 2.4ghz.

Man of Honour
VM can reuse it but won't as they'd only want customers on the latest kit. Customers can't use it as it needs to be set up on your account so swapping it out won't work. If they don't want it back, just take it down the recycling centre the next time you visit it :)

Soldato
Morning all,
I asked this question a few months back but I ended up forgetting about it and moving on. I am now in a new house, with a new router and everything else so thought I would have a go at this again.

I have setup PiVPN on my rPI and I have port forwarded 1194 on the SH3 but no matter what I do it just doesn't seem to connect. Anyone got any tips or does anyone also use OpenVPN/PiVPN with Virgin Media?
I have tried an online port checker with my public ip and the 1194 port and it just says its "closed" :(
Thanks

Soldato
Morning all,
I asked this question a few months back but I ended up forgetting about it and moving on. I am now in a new house, with a new router and everything else so thought I would have a go at this again.

I have setup PiVPN on my rPI and I have port forwarded 1194 on the SH3 but no matter what I do it just doesn't seem to connect. Anyone got any tips or does anyone also use OpenVPN/PiVPN with Virgin Media?
I have tried an online port checker with my public ip and the 1194 port and it just says its "closed" :(
Thanks

Local config issue. Before you go any further consider the speeds you are going to get from this, no hardware AES and a weak CPU = 8-10Mbit throughput max. You might be able to do that over up to 4 client's as it's a quad core, but generally you'll end up paying for a decent broadband service and then taking it back to ADSL speeds for no good reason.

Soldato
Local config issue. Before you go any further consider the speeds you are going to get from this, no hardware AES and a weak CPU = 8-10Mbit throughput max. You might be able to do that over up to 4 client's as it's a quad core, but generally you'll end up paying for a decent broadband service and then taking it back to ADSL speeds for no good reason.
Can you elaborate on the local config issue, this is only for one or two clients and it’s just going to be so I can jump back into my home network when out and about. I am not going to be using it for anything else.

If it was such a poor application then surely it wouldn’t be so widly used?

Associate
Is your VPN using udp or tcp and is that relevant port type the one that you have port forwarded? Check that the port is open on the pi:

Code:
netstat -tan # for TCP connections
netstat -uan # for UDP connections

Soldato
Using UDP, I will give the netstat command a try on the Pi later. I didn't even think to check that!

The port is forwarded on the SuperHub3 as UDP also.

I have an EdgeRouter knocking about so I am going to give that a go this weekend as well. Just knock the SH3 into Modem mode and then try just run it through the ER and see if that port forwarding works. If so then at least I can narrow it down to the SH3 being a bit rubbish.

Soldato
Can you elaborate on the local config issue, this is only for one or two clients and it’s just going to be so I can jump back into my home network when out and about. I am not going to be using it for anything else.

If it was such a poor application then surely it wouldn’t be so widly used?

OpenVPN isn't poor, it's just horribly inefficient by any modern standard and doesn't scale well as it’s limited to running on a single core, the only ways to improve the connection speed are:
Use a CPU with higher single core performance.
Use hardware encryption assistance eg AES-NI if you use an AES based cipher.
Use weaker encryption.

I’ve not plugged my ERX in for a while now, but if I wanted to run a VPN, i’d likely start with IPSec on that as it’d be a hell of a lot quicker.

Soldato
OpenVPN isn't poor, it's just horribly inefficient by any modern standard and doesn't scale well as it’s limited to running on a single core, the only ways to improve the connection speed are:
Use a CPU with higher single core performance.
Use hardware encryption assistance eg AES-NI if you use an AES based cipher.
Use weaker encryption.

I’ve not plugged my ERX in for a while now, but if I wanted to run a VPN, i’d likely start with IPSec on that as it’d be a hell of a lot quicker.
Well I don't have it working at all so I can't say how poor the performance is! ha.

As I said, this isn't for anything major. Not hosting any files or anything like that, just a little something to setup. Just be nice if it worked.

Soldato
Is your VPN using udp or tcp and is that relevant port type the one that you have port forwarded? Check that the port is open on the pi:

Code:
netstat -tan # for TCP connections
netstat -uan # for UDP connections
Just ran this command,
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:53 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:67 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:68 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:1194 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5353 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:48400 0.0.0.0:*
udp6 0 0 :::51097 :::*
udp6 0 0 :::53 :::*
udp6 0 0 :::5353 :::*

So its not being forwarded properly it seems, do you know how to fix that?

Soldato
phoned up to renegotiate my contract the other day. I had been paying 57pm for 350meg/full house tv/phone line, but it was about to go up to 84pm as the contract was about to expire. So i phoned to say i didn't want the tv/phone any more and they offered me broadband only for 40 which i accepted. I then got a call the next day saying I could keep all the services for 45pm which i thought was pretty decent so i took that.

Always worth phoning when your contract is going to expire!

Associate
phoned up to renegotiate my contract the other day. I had been paying 57pm for 350meg/full house tv/phone line, but it was about to go up to 84pm as the contract was about to expire. So i phoned to say i didn't want the tv/phone any more and they offered me broadband only for 40 which i accepted. I then got a call the next day saying I could keep all the services for 45pm which i thought was pretty decent so i took that.

Always worth phoning when your contract is going to expire!

it is a good deal. I have the same package and contract ended early this month (£57 to £84). I called but they didn't offer me anything, at the end I downgraded to mix tv/100mb/phone for £40pm. I will call them again to see if I can cancel or change to player tv because I rarely watch tv.

For the speed downgrade, will it happen right away or after I reboot the hub? I changed the package few days ago but still getting 350mb.

Soldato
it is a good deal. I have the same package and contract ended early this month (£57 to £84). I called but they didn't offer me anything, at the end I downgraded to mix tv/100mb/phone for £40pm. I will call them again to see if I can cancel or change to player tv because I rarely watch tv.

For the speed downgrade, will it happen right away or after I reboot the hub? I changed the package few days ago but still getting 350mb.

It depends when you ask them to downgrade you from, it can be from near instant to 30+ days time depending on what you asked for/what you have, either way hub reboots won't make any difference or all people would do is just avoid rebooting them post downgrade.

Soldato
Its that time of year...Virgin renewal due 12th of March, so under a month.. Will be calling them later
Currently on TV (M), Vivid 100 and Talk more anytime phone. Currently on £43pcm, going up to £58.
The TV box has never been plugged in, and the phone is rarely used, so only need the broadband.. Looking online the best I can see for new customers is £40pcm, so lets see if they can better this for existing customers.

Is it still the usual drill of Customer services then I am thinking of leaving as you are too expensive? Give notice then wait for them to call?
Anyone got any good offers/deal to beat them with?

No bother switching back to BT, used to do 12 months with one then 12 months with the other....

Will call both of them this evening, see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom