The Grand Tour

Soldato
Have to say, I didn't know anything about Jim Clark, so enjoyed that section. I have to say, although I'll sound an idiot I'm sure, I was a little surprised when Hammond said the year he was in 65 races, did he say he won 8? He wont 3 championships didn't hr say? How did he do that only winning 8 races?

Soldato
Have to say, I didn't know anything about Jim Clark, so enjoyed that section. I have to say, although I'll sound an idiot I'm sure, I was a little surprised when Hammond said the year he was in 65 races, did he say he won 8? He wont 3 championships didn't hr say? How did he do that only winning 8 races?
I think it was 8 Formula 1 victories, not total across all the series he took part in...

Soldato
I'd never heard of Clark before, even the wife enjoyed that bit.
I have to say Hammond is particularly good with those sort of pieces.

Associate
Although I enjoyed the Jim Clarke section I'm feeling this series of the grand tour. I loved top gear but I'm finding the humour of Clarkson, Hammond and May straying well into old man jokes territory.

I also watch YouTube car vids so the content they are showing feels somewhat 'off the pulse' which isn't helping with the enjoyment of the programme.

Soldato
Not sure what you mean the jokes are identical to the old top gear throughout all 3 seasons. In fact outside of the different set and no Stig the series is pretty much indistinguishable from the Clarkson era in top gear, particularly the last episode was very much classic top gear.

They ragged round a car hardly anyone can afford to own, talked **** for 10 mins, ragged another car hardly anyone can afford to own and payed a tribute to a piece of motoring history. If that isn't just what exactly top gear used to be then I don't know what is. The jokes have always been a bit 'old man' they are 'old men' after all.

Man of Honour
They ragged round a car hardly anyone can afford to own, talked **** for 10 mins, ragged another car hardly anyone can afford to own and payed a tribute to a piece of motoring history. If that isn't just what exactly top gear used to be then I don't know what is. The jokes have always been a bit 'old man' they are 'old men' after all.

They're not that old. Hammond turned 38 last year.

Caporegime
Last episode was great. Enjoyed the Alpina and Lamborghini SUV bit and the Jim Clark section was excellent.

I think this series has been great so far (ep 4 being the weakest but still fairly entertaining).

Caporegime
Not sure what you mean the jokes are identical to the old top gear throughout all 3 seasons.

Perhaps. And perhaps that's the problem: they're just retreading old ground. Apart from the most recent episode, it feels stale. The jokes feel forced. The pratting about feels repetitive. The PC-needling too deliberate. It needs something to freshen it up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had not been overly impressed with the series so far but that last episode was a corker. Loved the Jim Clark retrospective and the Urus review.

Agree with this. I don't know much about motor racing and I didn't previously know who Jim Clark is, but I thought it was an excellent and informative segment. All three of the presenters can do serious very well, but I am getting a bit bored of the silliness; the pick-up episode was by far the weakest.

Back
Top Bottom