• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Lev

Lev

Associate
@Illuminist

Question, was the card you RMA'd also a Sapphire model?

If so that's 3 people I've found with Sapphire models having the system crash or dual monitor issues.

Soldato
@Illuminist

Question, was the card you RMA'd also a Sapphire model?

If so that's 3 people I've found with Sapphire models having the system crash or dual monitor issues.
Yes it's a sapphire, and I disabled and unplugged the 2nd monitor to test.
I tried playing r6 last night and it crashed on default stock settings, not only that but r6 wouldn't close so I opened task manager, task manager crashed and had no icons
Pressed restart windows and the whole screen froze.
Tried to play again with 100% fans which was the most awful gaming experience of my life, it lasted probably 1 hour before the screen froze and the same happened again, task manager wouldn't work to close the game, the windows restart button did nothing when i clicked it and clicking shut down froze the screen and mouse with sound still coming out the headphones.

Is there an RMA thread on the forum because I'm worried they aren't going to understand my problem, if they just run a benchmark it will seem fine, or shall i leave a note inside the package explaining ?

Last edited:
Associate
Is there an RMA thread on the forum because I'm worried they aren't going to understand my problem, if they just run a benchmark it will seem fine, or shall i leave a note inside the package explaining ?

Best bet would be to just return it rather than RMA it. if the card works at stock then the likelihood of the RMA being accepted would be slim.

Associate
It works at stock in a benchmark
In 3 games I've tested they all crash
Here's one to try, just run Fire Strike Ultra Stress Test. That really does warm the card up far more than Timespy as its the 4K version. Its sounding likely it won't pass with that you've said so far!?
If it doesn't its time for it to be returned.

My results from yesterday under different conditions (with and without the glass on and central heating radiator on within a meter of the case ect)

Fire Strike Ultra:
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fsst...017126/fsst/1017142/fsst/1017168/fsst/1017192

TimeSpy:
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/tsst/389052/tsst/389072/tsst/389107

Last edited:
Soldato
Here's one to try, just run Fire Strike Ultra Stress Test. That really does warm the card up far more than Timespy as its the 4K version. Its sounding likely it won't pass with that you've said so far!?
If it doesn't its time for it to be returned.
It wouldn't pass the timespy one on stock settings so it's not going to make it through the firestrike one.

Soldato
Fair enough, just one last thing in that case. I've noticed your system looks nicely tweaked. Have you run the card with a default bios to rule out an issue with a CPU or Ram setting?
I have indeed set everything to default on cpu and ram, my case has beautiful airflow and even got 2 140mm corsair mag lev fans for the front to blast cold air into the case.
I also tried undervolting the card which even 10mv it hates and crashes on anything i run
I also tried reseating the card, reinstalling windows and the drivers, lowering the powerlimit, all things dont help
It's a biscuit of a chip in this card, I just spoke to OCUK and they wrote some notes, so I will get this sent back to them this afternoon.

Associate
I have indeed set everything to default on cpu and ram, my case has beautiful airflow and even got 2 140mm corsair mag lev fans for the front to blast cold air into the case.
I also tried undervolting the card which even 10mv it hates and crashes on anything i run
I also tried reseating the card, reinstalling windows and the drivers, lowering the powerlimit, all things dont help
It's a biscuit of a chip in this card, I just spoke to OCUK and they wrote some notes, so I will get this sent back to them this afternoon.
Game over! For that card then. Just out of interest what does that card use for its default voltage? Mines using 1074mv.

Soldato
kfsYPhy.jpg[

Game over! For that card then. Just out of interest what does that card use for its default voltage? Mines using 1074mv.
1061 mv default sometimes 1062mv

Associate
Wow that picture is huge sorry, just showing that its not a mini atx and my airflow is all great (no side case either)
xwB3l6s.jpg
That was my test case, just stole my sons case for a couple of afternoons lol.
One interesting thing using that machine is the PSU I used in it. "PROJECT 7 P650" The fan hasn't moved as its complete silence at loads below 60%, so meaning the system has been using under 390w total.

Lev

Lev

Associate
Yes it's a sapphire, and I disabled and unplugged the 2nd monitor to test.
I tried playing r6 last night and it crashed on default stock settings, not only that but r6 wouldn't close so I opened task manager, task manager crashed and had no icons
Pressed restart windows and the whole screen froze.
Tried to play again with 100% fans which was the most awful gaming experience of my life, it lasted probably 1 hour before the screen froze and the same happened again, task manager wouldn't work to close the game, the windows restart button did nothing when i clicked it and clicking shut down froze the screen and mouse with sound still coming out the headphones.

This worries me then if I replace the card with another Sapphire card. I'm starting to think this might be a manufacturing defect on the first batch of Sapphire cards, instead of a simple driver issue.

Associate
My default voltage is 1094mv.
Interesting! Looking like there seems to be around a 30-40mv difference across that I've seen so far then. What PSU are you using out of curiosity? I'm going to be using a SUPERNOVA P2 1200W when it makes in into my loop, and used a PROJECT 7 P650 for testing. Both of which are Platinum rated. The core difference is either down to binning of the silicon or PSU ripple maybe or both!?

Associate
This worries me then if I replace the card with another Sapphire card. I'm starting to think this might be a manufacturing defect on the first batch of Sapphire cards, instead of a simple driver issue.
Mines a day one Sapphire card without issue.
My results from yesterday under different conditions (with and without the glass on and central heating radiator on within a meter of the case ect)

Fire Strike Ultra:
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fsst...017126/fsst/1017142/fsst/1017168/fsst/1017192

TimeSpy:
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/tsst/389052/tsst/389072/tsst/389107

Caporegime
Interesting! Looking like there seems to be around a 30-40mv difference across that I've seen so far then. What PSU are you using out of curiosity? I'm going to be using a SUPERNOVA P2 1200W when it makes in into my loop, and used a PROJECT 7 P650 for testing. Both of which are Platinum rated. The core difference is either down to binning of the silicon or PSU ripple maybe or both!?
I have a 2000W Leaex PSU. Overkill but i used it back when i had Fury X QuadFire/ProDuo

Back
Top Bottom