• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Lev

Lev

Associate
@Lev they are all made in the same factory and then sent to the aib partners.
Ok, looks like it's just anecdotal. I wasn't sure if AMD supplied the blueprint, chip, and memory, or if they were built sent to the AIB to have their sticker thrown in.

Still, odd that Sapphire is the brand that keeps popping up with issues, but then again I imagine there isn't a lot of cards and most of the people are too busy tinkering with theirs.

Associate
My V64 is not a great clocker as others I have seen.

QtrACmw.jpg

Seems as if clock for clock no gains on VEGA20. Sorta of shame as they respun die to have more thermal sensors, etc but no other improvements.

There looks to be a lot of headroom on the core and memory for Radeon VII, more so than Vega 64.

I have an excellent overclocking V64 Liquid, does up to 1175Mhz on the HBM and achieves high core clocks with a -0.050mv undervolt from stock.

I am uploading a video of V64 Liquid Vs Radeon VII at the same clock speeds for core/memory set in Wattman.

There is a huge difference in the power draw between the two.

I will post the YT videos here once they have uploaded and processed.

Sneak peak of the results though (which don't show the power draw differences)
Radeon VII
ac5sZZP.jpg

Vega 64 Liquid
YH37rR8.jpg

Radeon VII

ac5sZZP.jpg

Vega 64 Liquid

YH37rR8.jpg

Thanks for the videos :) .

If I looked at Bit Tech review I could think RVII gives ~40% more performance for 16W less than V64. Reality is somewhat different if averages are looked at. For example to Bit Tech I've added TPU data, link.
  • Average (Gaming): Metro: Last Light at 1920x1080 because it is representative of a typical gaming power draw. We report the average of all readings (12 per second) while the benchmark is rendering (no title/loading screen). In order to heat up the card, the benchmark is run once first without measuring its power consumption.
  • Peak (Gaming): Same test as Average, but we report the highest single reading during the test.

Performance per Watt
The following charts show the efficiency of the cards in our test group. We used the relative performance scores and typical gaming power consumption result. These numbers are based on the performance summary with all games included.
Performance Summary
This page shows a combined performance summary of all the tests on previous pages, broken down by resolution. Each chart shows the tested card as 100% and every other card's performance as relative to it.

Associate
@Lev I think the sapphire cards were the cheapest as that’s why they are more popular. The other thing to consider is that it will take amd a few versions to get the drivers spot on. I remember the 64 drivers having a few quirks on day one and it took them a little while to sort it out.

Caporegime
Thanks for the videos :) .

If I looked at Bit Tech review I could think RVII gives ~40% more performance for 16W less than V64. Reality is somewhat different if averages are looked at. For example to Bit Tech I've added TPU data, link.
Admittedly i did under volt the Radeon VII to the maximum possible whilst keep stability at stock.

My Vega 64 can undervolt further, but not whilst maintaining 1750Mhz core clock speeds.

Lev

Lev

Associate
@Lev I think the sapphire cards were the cheapest as that’s why they are more popular. The other thing to consider is that it will take amd a few versions to get the drivers spot on. I remember the 64 drivers having a few quirks on day one and it took them a little while to sort it out.
Problem is it's hard to tell if it's drivers or a faulty card, because I'm able to run some system benchmarks without issue, but just about any real world gaming has crashes on the regular regardless of settings used in wattman or without touching wattman alltogether. I've reported what I could to AMD, but I don't know. The only real artifacting I've noticed with this card is when I first boot up Apex Legends (which crashes for me constantly, but sometimes I'll get lucky and just get booted to desktop [which I assume it a typical crash] instead of a full system restart). The artifact only occurs at what I assume is low HP, it's a bunch of black boxes where what would be I'm guessing a particle effect of some sort. It's easily replicatable when I first load up the training level, so that appears to be a driver issue or a file corruption (haven't attempted to re-install the game yet).

Soldato
Problem is it's hard to tell if it's drivers or a faulty card, because I'm able to run some system benchmarks without issue, but just about any real world gaming has crashes on the regular regardless of settings used in wattman or without touching wattman alltogether. I've reported what I could to AMD, but I don't know. The only real artifacting I've noticed with this card is when I first boot up Apex Legends (which crashes for me constantly, but sometimes I'll get lucky and just get booted to desktop [which I assume it a typical crash] instead of a full system restart). The artifact only occurs at what I assume is low HP, it's a bunch of black boxes where what would be I'm guessing a particle effect of some sort. It's easily replicatable when I first load up the training level, so that appears to be a driver issue or a file corruption (haven't attempted to re-install the game yet).
I get that in Apex also !!!
I said to my friends "what are these black staggered outlines for" and they are saying "what black outlines" lol
But I get the same crashes in Apex that I get in Re2 rainbow6 and pubg, like you said, I don't get crashes (at default) on benchmarks, but i do in the stress tests

Lev

Lev

Associate
I get that in Apex also !!!
I said to my friends "what are these black staggered outlines for" and they are saying "what black outlines" lol
But I get the same crashes in Apex that I get in Re2 rainbow6 and pubg, like you said, I don't get crashes (at default) on benchmarks, but i do in the stress tests
I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing them then.

I seriously thought it was one of those "hacker" things you see in video games where the screen will distort. I then realized it was an artifact, but it was consistent that I assumed it was driver related.

I did find out that if you go to training, then exit and reload training they will go away. Too bad it doesn't fix the crashes, but Apex has a ton of crashes on AMD hardware from what I've been reading that I avoid the game atm because it's not a good way to replicate my issues.

Lev

Lev

Associate
BTW, when did Micron start making HBM2 memory? I checked GPUz on my R7, and it shows manufactured by Micron.

Lev

Lev

Associate
When you do the training, can you confirm if you see a black artifact thing? It's right as you load, and it's very obvious.

Man of Honour
When you do the training, can you confirm if you see a black artifact thing? It's right as you load, and it's very obvious.

Of course, I shall record it. My card at this point is still stable and my machine has 6 days uptime with probably 10 hours gaming since the install, as yet no artefacts or anything to report, it's also been running 1235 memory for the last 3 days as well. Got to be honest was expecting many more problems but so far it's been plain sailing. I'll see if I can't replicate the issues today.

Man of Honour
Gigabyte also here. :)

Good man, in not saying that the giga card is any better than the sapphire but I'm not seeing anybody with a giga card complaining. Perhaps that's simply down to there being a lot more sapphire cards out there. Perhaps even giga spent a bit more time with the card and that's where my extra £150 went. Who knows, I do know though that I'm just not experiencing issues like others seem to be.

Back
Top Bottom