US: Star Trek: Discovery

Man of Honour
Absolutely loving this season so far. The guy who plays pike is perfect. So much mystery, adventure into the unknown - brilliant. A few niggles, but it finally feels like trek.

Caporegime
Loving it but they need to dial back Tilly a touch.
Yeah, it's a sad sign of political correctness that they feel they have to force obvious "body proud" scenes of a larger framed female in an episode. Tilly is clearly the poster girl for a: "Hey look, heroines don't have to be pretty or cool and we are going to ram it down your throats continually in a really annoyingly scripted way just to be politically correct" movement. It is fast becoming The Tilly Show and immersion (and my patience) is suffering as a result.

Caporegime
Dear God, episode 3 drove me nuts. Not only are they persisting with shoehorning annoying-as-****-Tilly into every scene, but the casting choice for the portrayal of her childhood friend/spectre is just awful beyond belief. Irritatingly shrill voice, irritating mannerisms, unconvincing acting... once more it seems like they chose someone for the sake of diversity and not for their acting chops.

If you get rid of Tilly this is actually a decent show with gravitas. Her writing and storyline in combination with her supremely annoying acting is actually ruining this show for me. :(

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Tilly really is awful, I just wish they'd stop trying to make us believe she's command material... Every Tilly scene is just jarring.

Enjoying the rest of the season so far though.

Soldato
Starting to dislike saru as much as tilly tbh. Shame they can't ditch both of them permanently and keep pike. He's excellent. Drop Bernham down the line too. Those three are so disgustingly preaching and melodramatic...

Soldato
I quite like Saru, but with...

... the amount of time they took giving him a send-off, I thought there's no way this is a fake-out.
Shows you how much I know.
Be interesting to see how his character changes now he's got no head tentacles.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I quite like Saru, but with...

... the amount of time they took giving him a send-off, I thought there's no way this is a fake-out.
Shows you how much I know.
Be interesting to see how his character changes now he's got no head tentacles.

I'm expecting Red Dwarf Lister after he gets his fear sucked out by the Polymorph.

If Saru isn't strapping a photon torpedo to his head and headbutting Klingons they've gone wrong :D

Caporegime
Tilly really is awful, I just wish they'd stop trying to make us believe she's command material... Every Tilly scene is just jarring.

Enjoying the rest of the season so far though.
At least in this episode she was quiet through virtue of being drugged and enveloped by a sentient space mushroom. :D
Starting to dislike saru as much as tilly tbh. Shame they can't ditch both of them permanently and keep pike. He's excellent. Drop Bernham down the line too. Those three are so disgustingly preaching and melodramatic...
Dude wtf are you on! :confused: :eek: :p

Saru has one of the best backstories in the entire show. According to him, his entire Kelpian race are (ignoring the potential plot holes this genocidal story brings to mind) basically cattle for a 'predatory species' who they never actually see known as the Ba'ul and now he has just learned that his ganglia falling off does not mean he is ready only to die and be culled as all Kelpians believe, but that it is actually a maturity process that turns him into a freaking fearless badass with his already superhuman speed, strength and senses. He is literally one of the first of his entire race in their sad collective living memories, as fully sentient and highly advanced beings, to have been able to reach this point, so if you think about it so the storyline possibilities of this are pretty epic and really exciting.

Just think... with the Federations help he could lead the Kelpians into a revolt against the Ba'ul (whatever they turn out to be) and ultimately liberate them. I swear the thing I am most wanting for this entire series (or the next) is this scenario because I think it is slowly leading up to it with all of the dripfeeding of the Kelpian lore that everyone is going damn crazy about. They have kept it just mysterious enough that it is begging to be explored in more detail and I really hope the show is allowed to explore that storyline because if done right it could be some of the best episodes of any Star Trek.

This short I saw which goes into Kelpian backstory was a little dissapponting because I was expecting the Ba'ul to be brutal and physically dominant beings that stalk and harvest the Kelpians accross the lands, which would then give a good and logical reason for the Kelpians to actually have evolved to be physically swift with amazing senses like super-intelligent alien gazelles. However they seem to have taken the easy and less traumatic way out and set up the Ba'ul as beings that are never seen but that remotely harvest the Kelpians, who appear to go there semi-willingly as they are brainwashed into thinking it is maintaining some kind of balance. According to theories, the Ba'ul may possibly even be mature Kelpians and somehow known to the Federation already. I hope that have a damn good explanation for all this though because some of the plot holes are pretty obvious.

Short: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ykqrw

Review: https://www.space.ca/star-trek-discovery-short-the-brightest-star-recap/

As for Bernham, think she is a great lead character... disciplined yet extremely empathetic and soulful and I think overall very well portrayed by the actress. Her and Pike basically make another great Kirk and Spock-esque duo.

The aquaman alien thing still sucks but at least they took the opportunity to make him seem slightly less of a comedy set piece by giving him a few lines, one of which was half sensible.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not convinced by the wall of text. Burnham is just so over acted. When the orb exploded she went into Oscar mode about how it saved them, her eyes were practically bugging out her head with lame passion. It's sickening.
Saru is similar he's it as bad but he's never gona be the Data character they want him to be. I'm not interest in whiney back story, bores me. Cry me a river skeletor.

Soldato
Ref: Saru

They REALLY should have gone the comedic route with him in that episode. They should have got to the point of him almost dying and then gone the "agonising pain for the rest of my entire life... How will I manage 100+ Years of this?" to a WHUT??? and it turns out that its just the Kelpian version of Manflu! To groans all around but would be a nice callback to some of the more humorous episodes of TOS and TNG... :D

Back
Top Bottom