Have i killed my T610?

Associate
I recently picked up a Dell T610 with Intel 2x Xeon E5520 QUAD @ 2.27GHz, 16GB (8x 2GB 2Rx8 8500E) which i installed ESXi and had a few VMs happily running for a couple of weeks under my desk.

Over the weekend i moved it up the loft and tried to add 16gb (4x 4GB 10600R) from my old server. After trying the sticks in various configurations with little success i realised you cannot mix registered and unregistered dimms.

Since then ive not been able to get the server to boot into ESXi long enough to start a VM before it reboots itself.

I have since tried with just the original 8x 2GBs and just the 4x 4GBs but it just keeps crashing with either sets.

There are a number of errors showing in the drac logs:-
Code:
PCIE Fatal Err: Critical Event sensor, bus fatal error (Bus 0 Device 0 Function 0) was asserted
CPU Machine Chk: Processor sensor, transition to non-recoverable was asserted
Fatal IO Error: Fatal IO Group sensor, fatal IO error was asserted
CPU1 Status: Processor sensor for CPU1, IERR was asserted

I left memtest running for 10 hours and it found no errors. As soon as you try to boot up ESXi and it crashes.

I'm going to try removing everything and then test each cpu in turn see if i can resurrect it!

Thought i had done well with the server for £95 since it came with a pair of 2 port intel 10G nics!

Soldato
Have you tried re-installing ESXi? Or Booting into something none-persistent such as a Linux LiveCD. It could just be that swapping the RAM has killed your current configuration.

Associate
OP
Had chance to do some testing.

Removed cpu2 and put 4x4gb into cpu1’s slots and Esxi booted up and was able to start vms.

Swapped cpus and again able to boot and load VMs.

Need to get a magnifying glass and examine cpu2 socket for any bent pins.

Back
Top Bottom