Have I bricked my new NVMe

Associate
Hi Folks,

I purchased a new ADATA SX-8200 Pro. Popped it in and started bench marking, playing around, all was fine. I also did a few formats, clone copies of Windows over, clone of games drive. Basically doing loads of test to find an optimal setup.

Then today I go and clone over my main copy of Win10 to use as my daily drive, but the ting refuses to boot. It is visible in the BIOS, visible in Windows. But when I select to boot it just hangs, and then the next time I boot it does the windows 'repairing your pc' but just tells me to restart and hangs again.

I have tried multiple things, experimented with bios settings etc, but its as if I did something inadvertently with my formatting and have bricked it. Is this possible?

Soldato
Doubt you’ve bricked it. Sounds like the clone didn’t work correctly. Possibly some interaction between the UEFI bootloader and the GUID of the disk. What did you use to clone? Does it have any options for repairing the GPT?

Associate
OP
So I used Acronis and also tried Macrium. Both exhibit the same problem. Very strange as I was doing this fine yesterday.

I can install a fresh copy of Windows on the new drive, but I really do not want to go down this route as its so laborious.

I am just trying to work out what changed and why I was able to clone to it with no problem yesterday, but impossible today?

Associate
OP
Yes, system starts in safe mode. And when it restarts after safe mode it works!

Thanks very much for that simple suggestion! Wish I had thought of that one before spending half of yesterday pulling my hair out!

Soldato
If you have cloned it once complete turn off the pc and then remove the old drive you cloned from and try booting again.(Forget that looks like you have sorted it.)

Caporegime
Yes, system starts in safe mode. And when it restarts after safe mode it works!

Thanks very much for that simple suggestion! Wish I had thought of that one before spending half of yesterday pulling my hair out!
Probably a controller driver issue then, I've seen something similar when going from ahci to ide.

Back
Top Bottom