What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Alita-Battle Angel, Good film, awesome CGI, crap ending! 7.5/10

It's supposed to be the first of a trilogy, but until they know they have the numbers to get the second one made, they wanted to round off the first film in such a way that it isn't a cliff-hanger and can stand on it's own if they don't make any sequels.

Associate
Not very satisfying is it.

When the credits went up I just left, but nobody else in the cinema moved from their seats. I think they were expecting more :p
I know, i was like wtf?

It's supposed to be the first of a trilogy, but until they know they have the numbers to get the second one made, they wanted to round off the first film in such a way that it isn't a cliff-hanger and can stand on it's own if they don't make any sequels.
I hope they do make more they need to finish the story, unfortunately it dont look like its doing great numbers , only asia can save it , think its going to be another Warcraft

Alita - very good and I think they have taken the quality of cgi up a notch, amazing visuals 8/10.
The Monster - I think there was a half decent movie somewhere but the ending ruined anything before it. Amazing how a director can actually get this movie made and come to the decision of such a ridiculous finale 2/10. If you have seen it you will know what I mean.

Soldato
A Private War - disappointing ... 6/10 lots of running around, and scene changes, but felt superficial, and did not learn much about Marie Colvins character/motivation;
itr - recent podcast of her biography much better. ... had not realised she interviewed Gadaffi though.
not a patch on archetype Salvador.

Caporegime
The Green Book - Okay film with very good performances. The standouts are the 2 leads.

It's kinda a shock to see how much weigh VM put on, not sure if it's for the role but it made him look at lot shorter with all the pounds, but i guess he plays a guy who loves to eat so it makes perfect sense.

Enjoyable but also will be forgotten in a year or so.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Free Solo - "the first person to ever free solo climb Yosemite's 3,000ft high El Capitan Wall with no ropes or safety gear.."

Started watching it and fell asleep! The description doesn't do it justice as the bit I saw (practice climbs) was very tense, if a bit repetitive.

Associate
Happy Death Day 2U (2019) - 9/10

Quirky and funny with a great cast of characters, it’s an enjoyable and entertaining film.

The plot does lose pace a bit in the middle and the horror takes a back seat to the comedy, but the jump scares as still very well done and Rothe as the lead is just as likeable as ever.

Soldato
Robin hood 2018 - 6/10
Half baked, It had some good ideas but they made a mess not knowing what to do, what was worse is they tried focus too much like big block buster (shots) and the clothes who had that bright idea.

Caporegime
Velvet Buzzsaw.

Dan Gilroy's ambitions foray into the popular and well established drama/horror/art world satire genre has received mixed reviews—including a frankly bizarre 2.5 on RoberEbert.com—but I personally believe it's one of his best works.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Toni Collette are the standout performers. John Malkovich is criminally under used, with no opportunity to show off his full powers. Tom Sturridge deserves credit for his excellent portrayal of an oily, backstabbing Boer.

The cinematography is superb, thanks to the genius of Robert Elswit. His long shots are particularly impressive. Colours are bold, brilliant, and almost oppressively strong. Gilroy insisted on a wide gamut colour pallette (which added an extra $2.5 million to the budget) and this decision has been utterly vindicated by the final product.

Velvet Buzzsaw aggressively explores the intercourse between postmodernism and late capitalism, while challenging the audience with poignant questions about subjective reality, human identity, and interpretive transactionalism. It is very much a film for our time, but also a film for times that are not ours, and might never be.

Gilroy is confrontational (as always) but never gratuitous. He speaks directly to us, yet also through us, and in some cases beyond us. In this sense, it is the story that invites interpretation, rather than the other way around.

I rate Velvet Buzzsaw at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a glorious 8/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Associate
A Quiet Place
Really liked it, not sure why I avoided it for so long. A few bits, I was like “why don’t you just do this” but was intense in some bits.

Creed 2
Not as good as the first but was still ok ever if predictable.

Velvet Buzzsaw
Bit of a let down since I’m a big fan of Night Crawler, I just think it was another poor Netflix movie, shame because the idea was really good.

Donnie Barascco
Not seen for years, still a great film and I’ve read the book.

Soldato
Filth. I've had it on my PVR for what seems like years as the girlfriend wasn't interested in watching it (even taking into account her love for James McAvoy). She was out last night so I thought I'd give it a whirl as I ended up reading good things about it. GEt home to find it's been deleted, ugh. Thoroughly hyped for watching it so I rented it from Amazon :o

It's actually pretty good fun. Very dark, pretty mad. Had you not read the book you'd find it a bit "out there" but as I knew the book, I knew what to expect. As another commentator said online, JM should have won some awards for his performance.

Back
Top Bottom