Micro-ATX Browsing Experiment

Associate
This can't be quite a proper log as I have already built the new system.

First the motivation.

My primary and secondary are very slow to start up and can sit for a couple of minutes with Task Manager showing the disk at 100%. This suggests that an SSD would be a good idea.

I tend to have several browser tabs open, which soaks up memory. The secondary only has 4 GB and is not upgradable (rather old ...) So plenty of RAM would be a good idea.

I don't play games that require high powered graphics, so one system with a reasonably good graphics card will do fine. I tend not to add extra cards, so I don't need many slots.

My previous builds have been ATX midis, but the factors above suggested I go for a micro with on-board graphics. Does this reasoning sound OK?

Associate
OP
So:
Case - Kolink KLM-001 Micro-ATX
MB - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H-CF AMD Micro-ATX
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 2200G VEGA 3.7 GHz 4 core
System Disk - WD Blue 250 GB M.2 SSD
Filestore Disk - WD Blue 2 TB

I could add a photo but I don't think it would add anything to the description.

Associate
OP
My opinions of the build:

It's very difficult to work in the cramped interior of a micro-ATX case. I don't think I'll go this route again.

It does start up very quickly, which was one of the aims.

It doesn't quite meet the need as both Firefox and Opera repeatedly lock up and say "No Internet". I haven't solved this yet.

What else should I add to this thread?

Soldato
My opinions of the build:

It's very difficult to work in the cramped interior of a micro-ATX case. I don't think I'll go this route again.

That solely depends on which micro-ATX case, its size and also its design, PSU orientation (bottom or top) etc. Plenty micro-ATX cases aren't difficult at all to build in. That Kolink is one of the exceptions despite being a tower and not even smaller form-factor cube/HTPC type.

It doesn't quite meet the need as both Firefox and Opera repeatedly lock up and say "No Internet". I haven't solved this yet.

Try posting in the Network forum for help on this if you haven't. Sometimes releasing and renewing IP address and flushing DNS cache (and some other stuff I don't recall but you will find if you search for the previous two) can help. It can be anything but it did solve what you describe for me a few years ago.

What else should I add to this thread?

Well, pictures always good if possible, even if neither a tidy or expensive build. They can help others determine what they could get away with if they were planning on using similar components.

And add the type of memory, CPU cooler (presumably you used the stock cooler) and PSU, to the spec.

Associate
OP
Here's a photo of the interior -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2znhh5rnn83ij41/General Interior.JPG?dl=0
I don't usually tie up the cables but I couldn't see what I was doing with them loose.

It looks as if there is an empty optical bay at the top, but there isn't because it's the power buttons, lights and front USB ports.
The upper hard drive is held on two screws as it's a 5" bay. The only empty bay is the vertical SSD bay in the middle.

The memory is two by 8 GB Vulcan T-Force DDR4. Stock cooler. Kolink Core 500W PSU.

Soldato
It's spaghetti hell, but with that case and non-modular PSU with no sleeving or ribbon composition at all, case fans with molex, molex and sata on the same cable adding to the fun etc, it'd be quite the task to do a semi-proper cable management job. You'd have to make very good use of the back, the side-panel is blown outwards a bit to provide a bit more space, and possibly the floor (tie what you could to the floor), and it still wouldn't look great. So as long as the components aren't heating up much, all good. Treat yourself to a nicer PSU and case at some point.

Soldato
It's amazing how far cases have come in terms of cable management. Like, a rear tray and some through holes make a big difference. In my experience the main value of pricier cases is features that allow a tidy build.

Associate
OP
This build was largely an experiment. I chose the micro format because it would have sufficient scope for the RAM, disks and add-in cards I planned to use. I saved money on the case and PSU, and have come to the conclusion that it was a poor decision. A larger case wouldn't have the problem of squeezing cables in, and I have tucked unused cables into an empty external 5" bay before. This case doesn't have an empty bay and sleeved cabling is easier to manage too. I take the point about a pricier case with a rear tray and holes.

I could start a thread about my primary build. It's fairly old now but with recent upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom