• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia rumour to be launching new GTX 11 series without ray tracing

Associate
You have to hand it to nVidia they have very skillfully manipulated people into paying ever more and thinking its good value.

GTX 970, 3.5GB: £270
GTX 1070, 8GB: £380
RTX 2070, 8GB: £470

No one questions it, in fact i have seen people argue that the 2070 is great vale at nearly £500, they never explain why tho, perhaps its because its nearly as fast as a previous generation card at not much more money?

I'm going to make a prediction, or two.

RTX 3070: £560
RTX 4070: £650

While i do like to agree with you about nvidia the gtx 970 was the best bang for the buck at the time so i got 1 of those. i missed the 1070 out. The only reason the 2070 seems bad is because the vega 64 is on a good price and a palit 270 is only 60 quid more than a vega 64 and it is faster.
The new cards @700+ are just silly really on both sides.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
You have to hand it to nVidia they have very skillfully manipulated people into paying ever more and thinking its good value.

No one questions it, in fact i have seen people argue that the 2070 is great vale at nearly £500, they never explain why tho, perhaps its because its nearly as fast as a previous generation card at not much more money?

Oh don't worry, it's not gone unnoticed! You'll always get the people making excuses about the ridiculous price increases, more so on forums like these, where there is a more elitist attitude.

Caporegime
Oh don't worry, it's not gone unnoticed! You'll always get the people making excuses about the ridiculous price increases, more so on forums like these, where there is a more elitist attitude.

I think its more along the lines of tribalism. what they don't realize is nVidia don't appreciate those type of people, they see them as people to be taken advantage of.

Associate
OP
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/...inventory_pileup_at_nvidia_sales_slaughtered/

Yesterday nVidia acknowledged publicly that their higher end cards are too expensive and people are not buying them, and this was nVidia CFO (chief financial officer) Colette Kress.

"sales of the high-end next-gen architecture, the GeForce RTX 2080 and 2070, came in lower than planned. The products "deliver a revolutionary leap in performance and innovation with real-time ray tracing and AI but some customers may have delayed their purchase while waiting for lower price points or further demonstrations of the RTX technology and actual gains."

There is no way around this for nVidia, because they cannot lower the prices of the cards without a major U turn in marketing policy and they cannot force the release of games with ray tracing to demostrate the technology and create demand. The only real option open to them is to release a product line without the RTX like the 1660 which allows customers to make the choice whether they want to buy into RTX or not. If they fail to release these cards, it is very likely that the Radeon VII is going to take a lot more market share than nVidia might want it to.

Associate
OP

The thing is that after the Q4 statement yesterday, they simply haven't persuaded anywhere near enough people to pay these prices.

Caporegime
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/...inventory_pileup_at_nvidia_sales_slaughtered/

Yesterday nVidia acknowledged publicly that their higher end cards are too expensive and people are not buying them, and this was nVidia CFO (chief financial officer) Colette Kress.

"sales of the high-end next-gen architecture, the GeForce RTX 2080 and 2070, came in lower than planned. The products "deliver a revolutionary leap in performance and innovation with real-time ray tracing and AI but some customers may have delayed their purchase while waiting for lower price points or further demonstrations of the RTX technology and actual gains."

There is no way around this for nVidia, because they cannot lower the prices of the cards without a major U turn in marketing policy and they cannot force the release of games with ray tracing to demostrate the technology and create demand. The only real option open to them is to release a product line without the RTX like the 1660 which allows customers to make the choice whether they want to buy into RTX or not. If they fail to release these cards, it is very likely that the Radeon VII is going to take a lot more market share than nVidia might want it to.

Greedy ****.

They pushed it too far.

Soldato
Is not needeed, as the above if from FFXV benchmark, which is known for it's heavy Nvidia optimization.

But if it's going to be = 1070 then the 590 decidedly loses against it, so they can't position 590 too close in price to 1660ti. I think AMD has room to drop the price on it though, Polaris is quite cheap to build, as we can see from 570 & 580.

Soldato
im surprised it might be quite close to the 2060 in performance ?

They're just setting up the pricing ladder & going to have GPU variants at each pricing interval, so there's no big jumps in-between. E.g. if you look at AMD you had very big jumps between 570/580 & Vegas (before all the recent deals) in terms of pricing (still do, >£50; used to be ~£100ish), but Nvidia had something within ~£50 of each card.

bru

bru

Soldato
According to the leak with the benchmark their will be both 3GB and 6GB models of the 1660 non Ti, not that, that makes it any better of a card for the prices the article is suggesting.

Back
Top Bottom