Backed into a car parked in the middle of the road! :(

Soldato
Lapsed MOT won't negate the insurance, but you could certainly make plod aware - or maybe use this to gain some leverage in allowing you to make good on the repairs.

Accidents happen and it's a bit of gits trick if he is trying to push through the insurance - but then again, depends how much damage is done.

Also, i'm sure you'll recoup the monies from him when he is bringing the car in for future works, *sucks teeth* "definitely need a new falange, that'll be £150 +VAT"

Soldato
I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure stationary beats moving. How could a stationary vehicle avoid an accident. Thats why if I'm ever travelling down a narrow country road for example I will always make sure I stop and let the other vehicle pass me. If we collide its the other guys fault..

Soldato
The way I understand this.

The car isn't yours? The car you were driving is not named on any insurance policy you hold directly?

The car you were driving had a lapsed MOT.

You hit a bystanders (if you wish) motor vehicle?

---

If you're driving customers vehicles I would say you need a motor traders insurance policy, which is what my local garage have?

How is the third party going to claim on insurance? What will happen as he will claim on your customers insurance, who will pay out and will then seek to reclaim their costs from you?

I can't see Public Liability covering this either...

Associate
OP
We have motor traders insurance and that is why we have it because we have to use and move all manner of vehicles all of the time. I'm not trying to weasel my way out of it as I contacted my insurance to discuss the issue but I wanted to make them aware that the vehicle had no MOT. I am sure this will come out anyway on the other guys insurance and on my own but I just didn't know how the insurance would view a claim on a vehicle that had no MOT as my understanding was that it would void any policy? No MOT means no TAX or insurance if the police pull you over doesn't it?

The damage was pathetically light and I would have happily given him £300 to sort it (£100 a panel and some compo). Its starting to smell of whiplash claims and all sorts so I am glad the CCTV picks them up wandering around whilst I proceed to back into their empty car :(

Associate
No MOT does NOT mean no tax and no insurance. Can't believe people are still waffling this nonsense. Your insurance company can and may stipulate in your policy that they wont cover you if the vehicle doesn't have a current MOT, however, it's been shown many times in court that as long as a vehicle is roadworthy/any defects were not a causal factor in an accident, insurers have been forced to pay out. You reversed into a stationary vehicle. Even if it was moving, you were reversing and should give way to all other traffic. Your fault, and the insurance claimed will be your companys.

Soldato
No MOT shouldn’t void insurance, it just means the payout for the car if written off is based on one with no MOT which lowers the value.

I had a similar situation last week, no damage to my car, a tiny scratch on the bumper of the other car, which already had loads of paint missing from previous accidents. She insisted on calling the insurance, they turned up and ruled entirely in my favour :D

Don
The damage was pathetically light and I would have happily given him £300 to sort it (£100 a panel and some compo). Its starting to smell of whiplash claims and all sorts so I am glad the CCTV picks them up wandering around whilst I proceed to back into their empty car :(

That is the damage btw.... Could have easily sorted this outside insurance :(

Doesn't matter whether you think it could have been sorted outside of insurance or not?

If it had been a new car that you'd run into, I certainly wouldn't want it being sorted by "dodgy dave's sprayshop" just because you thought the damage was pathetically light.

@turbo - name is quite apt :)

Soldato
Ah, it's a new(ish) Merc? I'd have probably wanted it done by a Merc dealer too under the insurance or cash to cover the job (which would have been more than £300 from a dealership). The other driver does know that this will effect their premiums too?

Soldato
We have motor traders insurance and that is why we have it because we have to use and move all manner of vehicles all of the time. I'm not trying to weasel my way out of it as I contacted my insurance to discuss the issue but I wanted to make them aware that the vehicle had no MOT. I am sure this will come out anyway on the other guys insurance and on my own but I just didn't know how the insurance would view a claim on a vehicle that had no MOT as my understanding was that it would void any policy? No MOT means no TAX or insurance if the police pull you over doesn't it?

Motor Traders will cover you, it's just a ****.

Ah, it's a new(ish) Merc? I'd have probably wanted it done by a Merc dealer too under the insurance or cash to cover the job (which would have been more than £300 from a dealership). The other driver does know that this will effect their premiums too?

It's an old B Class by the looks of things.

Associate
OP
Guys, calm... I'm not asking for advice on how to get out of the issue. I was initially asking for advice to see where I stood and only found out about the potential MOT issue this morning. I was more concerned that my insurance would be void than not being capable of covering me...

Transmission breaker
Don
I fail to see how a commercial garage policy would be any use if there was a stipulation that any car had to have MOT before it could be touched :D

Hence you will almost certainly be covered for moving any vehicle for business use in the line of your work.

Soldato
What is going through your mind here?! You reversed into someone’s car, stop trying to weasel out of responsibility and just accept that you’ve made a mistake that you’ll have to pay for.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I know the damage looks light, but I've just (or rather someone who drove into me has) paid over £450 to have two panels repaired and painted on the focus as I wanted it to look exactly as it did before the car was hit and it's not the easiest paint to match across the bumper / wing materials.

Having said that, I was surprised the other guy didn't want to put it through insurance when I told him the bill, and given he had some minor damage too

Don't think there's much you can do to win here, just need to suck it up. Mot will be a non issue on your policy, though I expect your excess will be over the repair cost anyway?

Back
Top Bottom