I regret going 1440p

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I jumped from 1080p to 1440p/144Hz after using a mates screen for a few weeks whilst he was away, and I loved the difference! My GTX970 didn't have too much trouble either at the time (playing mostly PUBG and CSGO then), but I am starting to feel it slowing down and dipping well below 60fps in some games (with a variety of settings I might add) has reduced my enjoyment somewhat. And like many others I suspect, reluctant to spend the money required these days to see a reasonable jump in performance.

Associate
I jumped from 1080p to 1440p/144Hz after using a mates screen for a few weeks whilst he was away, and I loved the difference! My GTX970 didn't have too much trouble either at the time (playing mostly PUBG and CSGO then), but I am starting to feel it slowing down and dipping well below 60fps in some games (with a variety of settings I might add) has reduced my enjoyment somewhat. And like many others I suspect, reluctant to spend the money required these days to see a reasonable jump in performance.

1440p 144Hz High/Max settings, does take a lot of CPU/GPU power to run that consistently.

However, I kinda cheat with my RX580 8Gb.

I too have a 1440p 144Hz Monitor, and only got it recently...

I regularly have to trade between (beautiful visuals for a game like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey at High/Very High settings, getting [1080p 50-60FPS] ...
Or for purely competitive play, like Battlefied V in 1440p Low/Medium settings, hitting 100-120FPS.

Is there something stopping you from doing the same?
What about upscaling the res from 1080p, or the opposite, say 1440P but only 80% resolution ( remember that 1440p has almost twice the pixel count compared to 1080p { approx 1.8x } ).

If you got a GTX970, what CPU are you running?

And yes, probs worth waiting for something decent to come out mid 2019...I am sure there will be many more options to choose from (rather than have to go for an overpriced 2060/2070...).

But don't underestimate the RX580 8Gb or newere RX590 8Gb...they are excellent 1080P card and pretty good 1440P ones too (as long as you're willing to sacrifice a few settings at times)..

bJN

bJN

Soldato
1440p 144Hz High/Max settings, does take a lot of CPU/GPU power to run that consistently.

However, I kinda cheat with my RX580 8Gb.

I too have a 1440p 144Hz Monitor, and only got it recently...

I regularly have to trade between (beautiful visuals for a game like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey at High/Very High settings, getting [1080p 50-60FPS] ...
Or for purely competitive play, like Battlefied V in 1440p Low/Medium settings, hitting 100-120FPS.

Is there something stopping you from doing the same?
What about upscaling the res from 1080p, or the opposite, say 1440P but only 80% resolution ( remember that 1440p has almost twice the pixel count compared to 1080p { approx 1.8x } ).

If you got a GTX970, what CPU are you running?

And yes, probs worth waiting for something decent to come out mid 2019...I am sure there will be many more options to choose from (rather than have to go for an overpriced 2060/2070...).

But don't underestimate the RX580 8Gb or newere RX590 8Gb...they are excellent 1080P card and pretty good 1440P ones too (as long as you're willing to sacrifice a few settings at times)..
8086k @5.2 here, everything was upgraded over summer and I held off the GPU whilst waiting for RTX to show it's face. There are options I turn down, and regularly do, but there are some situations where purely more graphics processing grunt is needed to see me through. That and the limited VRAM is starting to get much more noticeable these days.

Res scaling I've played with in the past, and honestly wasn't a fan; slightly perceivable differences that just bugged me and take away from the enjoyment / competitiveness.

The dreaded wait continues...

Associate
I would try and get a second hand 1080ti, i have one with 1440p 144hz and can handle nearly everything not problem.

Like already stated, 1440p at medium settings still looks a lot better then 1080p at Ultra.

Associate
Easy answer - As others have said just get a second hand 1080ti for like £450.
THEN buy an NZXT g12 and overclock it, when it shows its age in 2020. That thing OC'd will do high FPS @ 1440p for years.

Does your monitor have freesync? If I bought a monitor again it would be for gsync or freesync. The whole point being when my rig gets to a point where it cant play games at 1440p, they still look smooth even at 40-50fps.

Just bought a new TV myself... 55" monster! You can't beat a 4k hdr cinema sized screen for immersion IMO, esp in FPS or adventure! Absolutely gorgeous PQ on the x9000f. Probably cost about the same as a g-sync monitor and all innit fam.

Since having a Tv as a monitor I've always found monitors to be a bit... Bland.
I know you see the keyboard warriors out there saying "youre not a true gamer unless you gots less than 1ms for gaming". ******** IMO - I tested on my new Sony AND my last Panasonic 4k, and even with ALL THE PROCESSING ON, including frame interpolation (just for the hell of it), which is probably around 80-120ms input lag, I can game just fine.

Associate
THEN buy an NZXT g12 and overclock it, when it shows its age in 2020. That thing OC'd will do high FPS @ 1440p for years.

forgot to mention, adding an AIO water cooler will also mean you can probably OC your cpu more - Set the gpus rad as an exhuast and all that hot air that used to cook your cpu no longer exists inside your case ;)

Associate

Does your monitor have freesync? If I bought a monitor again it would be for gsync or freesync. The whole point being when my rig gets to a point where it cant play games at 1440p, they still look smooth even at 40-50fps.

Just bought a new TV myself... 55" monster! You can't beat a 4k hdr cinema sized screen for immersion IMO, esp in FPS or adventure! Absolutely gorgeous PQ on the x9000f. Probably cost about the same as a g-sync monitor and all innit fam.

Since having a Tv as a monitor I've always found monitors to be a bit... Bland.
I know you see the keyboard warriors out there saying "youre not a true gamer unless you gots less than 1ms for gaming". ******** IMO - I tested on my new Sony AND my last Panasonic 4k, and even with ALL THE PROCESSING ON, including frame interpolation (just for the hell of it), which is probably around 80-120ms input lag, I can game just fine.

If you want a monster immersive tv, Samsung are making a 219" wall of tv :D

Man of Honour
Ive been 1440p gaming for years on my Dell U2711's driven by a GTX980. I have not once felt it lacked the power to drive my games to a very high standard on that platform. I have now gone 2080TI and new 165mhz monitor at 1440p and though I like the slickness of that refresh rate it is nowhere near as game changing as I was lead to expect.

Associate
Ive been 1440p gaming for years on my Dell U2711's driven by a GTX980. I have not once felt it lacked the power to drive my games to a very high standard on that platform. I have now gone 2080TI and new 165mhz monitor at 1440p and though I like the slickness of that refresh rate it is nowhere near as game changing as I was lead to expect.

High refresh rates are a VERY personal thing. Some people "need" high refresh rates, some don't care.

Personally, I am very sensitive to judder, and love the soap opera effect (if I watch a movie without it, to me it looks sub par) and complete smoothness in films and games.
Despite that, anything over 60fps in games doesn't really interest me. Hardly notice it.

My new TV is a 120hz panel, but bought it for 120hz use in films only (120hz is useful for a strong soa / interpolation).

However - if it was freesync, I'd deffo turn that on, as if fps dips below 60, I'm less likely to notice it.
I think that's where 120hz+ monitors become interesting for a lot of people - what's not to like about that?

Associate
Apparently it's made up of blocks of micro led screens that you piece together, not sure how it would look but I bet it you would need a mortgage to get one!

Maybe one day in the future tvs will be like lego and you can just join them together to make massive building size tvs
As crazy as that sounds, as long as they're using the same tech, there's no reason why that wouldn't be possible :D

Associate
I just switched from a 1080p 120hz TN panel from 2010 to a 1440p VA 144hz MSI mpg27cq.

Currently using an i7 2600 and 980 and it's it's aly running better than I thought it would. Some demanding games like assassin's creed odyssey has gone from 50-70 frames on mix of high/ultra to 35-45 frames which is unplayable but after tinkering with the settings, knocking shadows down etc it's running at 50-60ish again.

My main games dirt rally and killing floor 2 are not demanding at all and have gone from 120 mostly locked FPS to 70-100. However battlefield 4 has gone from 90-100ish to 60ish which is not smooth on a fast paced game after using high Hz for years.

All depends on what settings and framerates you expect, honestly I thought some games would be a slideshow with the 4gb 980 but it handles it okay. I will be switching to a 2600x / Vega 56 next month though, long overdue my currently build is 8 years old except for the SSD/gpu from 4-5 years ago.

1440p Res also blew me away, even on the desktop it's so much sharper and having two chrome windows open next to each other is perfect.

Soldato
This is my sentiment exactly. While it is better to have than not to I sense the uptake is being pushed by those that benefit.

Associate
When I had my GTX 970 and the 1440p 165hz gsync monitor, I was happy playing all my games and it didn't struggle in the slightlest, even on high / ultra settings, I think the lowest frames I saw was around 70-80fps, I upgraded to the 1080ti purely for the increased fps, I doubt I would notice the difference now if I was to go back, but i know that I have the power available for the ultra settings and high fps, and the latest games if / when I buy them.

Associate
OP
Well, the end result of my predicament when I started this thread has been quite the roller coaster ride. As per my first post, I really wanted to upgrade I just didn't want to pay the extortionate price for it. I was already looking at getting a second hand 1080ti but even at £500 ish I didn't think it was exactly good value for money, even though feasibly it was my only option. Last night I ended up buying not one, but TWO complete new systems within 1 hour :D Which is hilarious when you think about it as I didn't want to spend £500 on a second hand GPU then I ended up spending £2175 on two new PC's lol. I am going to make a new thread this evening where I will explain everything, and hopefully show method to my madness. What have I gotten myself into lol.

Associate
Ill join in now... I sit too close to my monitor (fixing that shortly) but at 1440p shows up all sorts of minor imperfections that I'd never even see before, rather than being satisfied with something like Metro 2033 or Battlefield 4 at 1080p I'm now sat staring at all the imperfections or odd lighting now in glorious 1440p

Its also more taxing on my i5 9600K@5GHz/16GB/RTX2070 setup than I expected at 1440p. here was me thinking I'd be ok to drop a couple of settings down to get a reasonable frame rate but its still struggling in places.

Resident Evil 2 remake looks a bit pants to me.

Tempted to sell my 34in ultrawide for something 4k (or even 1080p) <27 inch.

Back
Top Bottom