Fractal Define R4 Fans

Associate
I'm thinking of replacing the stock fans on the define R4.

Ideally I'd like 2x140mm intakes and a 120/140mm outake fan.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what fans to use? I'd like to keep the noise to a minimum too.

The R4 does have the 5/7/12v switch on the front which I could hook the fans up too.

Ideas/thoughts are appreciated :)

Associate
I've got an R4 still and updated all the fans a while back to help with idle noise. I went for the grey Noctua Redux fans, two 140mm on the front, and a single 140mm on the back exhaust. They're all NF-P14s 1200rpm PWM models, setup to run at nearly minimum speed when the cpu temp is low, and zoom up when gaming to keep the 1080ti cool :)

Associate
OP
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p14-pwm-pst-black-fan-140mm-fg-04k-ar.html

Dont think you can go wrong with these, high static pressure and VERY quiet, can be daisy chained also :)

Thanks for this. Will take a look at the specs and see how they compare!

I've got an R4 still and updated all the fans a while back to help with idle noise. I went for the grey Noctua Redux fans, two 140mm on the front, and a single 140mm on the back exhaust. They're all NF-P14s 1200rpm PWM models, setup to run at nearly minimum speed when the cpu temp is low, and zoom up when gaming to keep the 1080ti cool :)

This was my initial go to fan. I don't think i'd need anything higher than 1200RPM, the Three in there at the moment are 1000RPM and seem to do a decent job, just want something a little quieter with the PWM ability!

Associate
Yes if my graphics card had one of those if definitely be using that to set the PWM fan speeds on my system. You could use a PWM hub if you want to keep it looking clean inside, run all the fans off the hub.

Soldato
Could use the Define R4's stock fans on the bottom if there's any room for them as well.

The exhaust fan is the fly in the ointment for separate GPU temp-synched chassis fan cooling. i.e. Which do you synch it to? CPU or GPU. Ideally, motherboards would all start coming with software to raise fan RPM based on either CPU or GPU temp, whichever is highest.

Associate
OP
Yes if my graphics card had one of those if definitely be using that to set the PWM fan speeds on my system. You could use a PWM hub if you want to keep it looking clean inside, run all the fans off the hub.

I believe the 1070 has two? So i could potentially hook one up to that and the other to the mobo? or would it make more sense to hook them both up to the GPU?

Could use the Define R4's stock fans on the bottom if there's any room for them as well.

The exhaust fan is the fly in the ointment for separate GPU temp-synched chassis fan cooling. i.e. Which do you synch it to? CPU or GPU. Ideally, motherboards would all start coming with software to raise fan RPM based on either CPU or GPU temp, whichever is highest.

There may be room for one on the bottom, it depends if my new PSU doesn't interfere with the space.

This was my thought. Maybe i have an intake and the bac exhaust hooked up to the GPU, with the one remaining intake to the Mobo?

Soldato
Yeah. Or even (since you have two spare fans) 1 Bottom (intake) + 1 Front (intake) + 1 Rear (exhaust) = GPU. 1 Front (intake) + 1 Top (exhaust) = CPU.

Each on their own little eco-system, so to speak.

Associate
OP
So the depth of the fans was the issue. I had to snap the holding clip, then screw them in!

Bit of a design flaw, not sure on whose part?

One front and the exhaust connected to the GPU, and I've got them to kick in as and when.

Second front fan, connected to the motherboard, this one sits in front of the drives and keeps the cool air flow hitting them.

Impressed with the fans in terms of sound, a lot better than what i had in. Have yet to hear them at a high RPM, but, I can't ever see them reaching anything too high!

Last edited:
Soldato
Odd. They are the same thickness as the Fractal stock fans. You didn't have the fan cable side pressed against the dust filter right? Easiest explanation other than some flaw.

Apparently if you'd used 120mm fans you'd have to screw them in anyway, so no biggie.

Soldato
Oh ohhhh wait. You bought the Arctic P14 PWM not the Noctua Redux NF-P14s that Mike mentioned earlier lol. Yeah those are 27mm thick instead of 25mm.

Associate
OP
Oh ohhhh wait. You bought the Arctic P14 PWM not the Noctua Redux NF-P14s that Mike mentioned earlier lol. Yeah those are 27mm thick instead of 25mm.

I did yeah. Wasn't something I thought if really, just automatically thought they'd fit. Snapping the clip off and screwing in the two screws at the bottom sorted it though!

Time to tinker with fan%'s and curves! :/

So the depth of the fans was the issue. I had to snap the holding clip, then screw them in!

Bit of a design flaw, not sure on whose part?

One front and the exhaust connected to the GPU, and I've got them to kick in as and when.

Second front fan, connected to the motherboard, this one sits in front of the drives and keeps the cool air flow hitting them.

Impressed with the fans in terms of sound, a lot better than what i had in. Have yet to hear them at a high RPM, but, I can't ever see them reaching anything too high!

They are great fans, have two of them on my gfx card and i never hear them, my card in benches would hit 69c and be very audible but with these fans they dont go above 55 and totally silent.

Soldato
To help you out a little more.

The two intake at the front are: http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/case-fans/silent-series-r2-140mm - These two are attached the front 5/7/12v switch.

The rear exhaust is the same as the above.

I'd like to switch to PWM and have them all attached to the board so SmartFan 5 can take control of the RPM as and when it's needed.

The quieter the better too!
I suggest 2x 140mm front and 1x 140mm bottom intakes with all back PCIe slot covers removed (greatly improves rear venting around GPU resulting in cooler temps and lower GPU fan speeds) and extend feet so there is about 30mm space between bottom of case and what it sets on for better airflow to bottom vents .. or make an open center castor base so case can be rolled case out to get bottom filter out easier. I've built a bunch of Defines' over the years and always use both front and bottom intakes.

Arguably the best are be quiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM high speed. I haven't used new Arctic P series but have used Arctic F series and while not as good as top tier fans are definitely not bad fans .. and considering we can buy 3 or 4 Arctic for the cost of a single Silent Wings 3 are a good deal.

I would suggest looking at Phanteks PH-F140MP 2-pack for £16.26 but they are out of stock. Very good fan normally costing £13-14 each for £8.13 each in 2-pack makes them a great deal .. when in stock.

Back
Top Bottom