Xbox One X

Soldato
I'm not in two minds if I should keep my XBOX, I play on it occasional but the PC has more games I play, the main attraction on XBOX is 4K HDR which is just reliable, it works, even if it isn't "true 4k", but feels like I'm waiting 400 quid just hardly using it! And if a XBOX "TWO" is around the corner, well.. not sure what to do.

Caporegime
I'm not in two minds if I should keep my XBOX, I play on it occasional but the PC has more games I play, the main attraction on XBOX is 4K HDR which is just reliable, it works, even if it isn't "true 4k", but feels like I'm waiting 400 quid just hardly using it! And if a XBOX "TWO" is around the corner, well.. not sure what to do.

Flog it now whilst it's still worth a few bob. Prices will tank when the new gen is revealed as people look to sell theirs. Backwards compatibility is 99.9% assured so all your games will carry forward if you pick up Xbox Two.

Associate
Anyone had any major issues with the launch project Scorpio version? just hooked it up to my new LG oled viewed about 30 minutes of a 4k disc had to go out so switched it off came back to it and it would no longer boot up the disc, just displaying the blue - blu Ray boot screen then returning to the home screen after maybe 10 seconds, tried a reset, power shutdown etc light come on but no boot up, sometimes switches itself off a few seconds after the slight clicking HD’s or disc drive noise. Honestly it’s had maybe 30 hours use since launch maybe 10 movies and 20 hours of gaming if that, seems ms want £188.18 for a repair :(

Associate
Anyone had any major issues with the launch project Scorpio version? just hooked it up to my new LG oled viewed about 30 minutes of a 4k disc had to go out so switched it off came back to it and it would no longer boot up the disc, just displaying the blue - blu Ray boot screen then returning to the home screen after maybe 10 seconds, tried a reset, power shutdown etc light come on but no boot up, sometimes switches itself off a few seconds after the slight clicking HD’s or disc drive noise. Honestly it’s had maybe 30 hours use since launch maybe 10 movies and 20 hours of gaming if that, seems ms want £188.18 for a repair :(

The bluray app is notoriously shonky when it comes to playing 4k discs, I often have to do a hard reset (hold power button down for 10 seconds) to get discs to play on mine but games discs work fine so it seems to be the software rather than the drive. The other problems do sound more like a hardware problem I'm afraid, my scorpio does not not behave like that.

Associate
Yeah mine does the same. Could barely read a disc. I rip a load of blu rays and will rip the odd 4k one, what you usually get told on the makemkv forums is even though your disc can be brand new out of the box and have 0 marks on it, it can still be dirty and have trouble reading.

Mine wasn't reading at all last night, had it in and out loads of times and even the app crashing. Took it out, used my disc cleaner on it and it worked straight away. Coincidence? Maybe, but it could be worth investing in a wee disc cleaner.

Soldato
Flog it now whilst it's still worth a few bob. Prices will tank when the new gen is revealed as people look to sell theirs. Backwards compatibility is 99.9% assured so all your games will carry forward if you pick up Xbox Two.

Must say I'm struggling to flog it! Thought it'd be easy to flog it, 375 for One X + 8 games and a controller seems reasonable? I had it at 400 with a 2TB external drive too.

Soldato
Must say I'm struggling to flog it! Thought it'd be easy to flog it, 375 for One X + 8 games and a controller seems reasonable? I had it at 400 with a 2TB external drive too.

Offers on new and refurb consoles have been quite aggressive lately. Under £400 for a new console with three or four games, or £280-£300 for a refurb (sometimes with games). Combine that with there being no shortage of used Xbox One X consoles and it's something of a buyer's market at the moment.

Plus, if it's a big bundle you're never likely to sell it for its full value; there will always be stuff in the package that the buyer isn't bothered about. There will be games people have already, or don't want, or accessories that they don't need.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Xbox One X brand new is £339 currently at a high street retailer. Ouch. Second hand ones will have to drop to £250 or so.

EDIT: Scratch that. They must have made a boob and put two 3's instead of two 9's. As it's £399 again.

Soldato
New are around £400 even the White Spec Ed everyone wants is that or £420 with 3 recent games if you look around.....

Used its not even worth anymore than £250 now. Best just to keep MS are unlikely to launch the new model anytime soon they have hardly no games which fully take advantage of the X yet! Pointless moving to newer hardware until they do & that takes time to optimise the software!

Soldato
Xbox One X brand new is £339 currently at a high street retailer. Ouch. Second hand ones will have to drop to £250 or so.

EDIT: Scratch that. They must have made a boob and put two 3's instead of two 9's. As it's £399 again.
That deal was real @ 339 it just sold out fast!

Soldato
New are around £400 even the White Spec Ed everyone wants is that or £420 with 3 recent games if you look around.....

Used its not even worth anymore than £250 now. Best just to keep MS are unlikely to launch the new model anytime soon they have hardly no games which fully take advantage of the X yet! Pointless moving to newer hardware until they do & that takes time to optimise the software!

The X won't be retired for years. They'll just roll the iterations, One/S gets retired, X becomes entry model, X2 or whatever become the new premium....etc. They'll just say to devs when the X2 comes out you no longer have to support the One/S (but can If you want).

Soldato
The X won't be retired for years. They'll just roll the iterations, One/S gets retired, X becomes entry model, X2 or whatever become the new premium....etc. They'll just say to devs when the X2 comes out you no longer have to support the One/S (but can If you want).
Yeh I think that's how it will go too.

Soldato
Yeh I think that's how it will go too.

Not only that, but when devs don't have to support the weak-sauce CPU in the One, it'll give em a lot more room to push features on the X.

Right now you basically just see graphics dialled up, higher res, better texture streaming, more stable FPS. There's no scope to implement gameplay affecting enhancements like AI and other systems.

Caporegime
Not only that, but when devs don't have to support the weak-sauce CPU in the One, it'll give em a lot more room to push features on the X.

The problem is the X1X will still be using the Jaguar CPU. The new consoles will probably be using Zen. They need to drop support for the Xbox One family altogether or else the new games will still be hobbled with under utilization of the CPU. The big games should concentrate on PS5/XB2 only and if the owners of the last gen family want to play those games without shelling out on new hardware, there will be xCloud and PS Now streaming.

Soldato
1X CPU is well ahead of the 1, it'll be a big boost to drop support for the 1.

No way in hell the One X is going to be retired when the next One comes out.

Soldato
I've got my One X for sale, but looking at the cost of PC, considering I have a GTX1070 laptop, it seems if I want any better game experience it's going to be considerable cost, even a 1200 quid PC isn't that much better in the graphics department.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
1X CPU is well ahead of the 1, it'll be a big boost to drop support for the 1.

No way in hell the One X is going to be retired when the next One comes out.

I thought the One X and One /S share exactly the same CPU architecture (jaguar), but just that the X is overclocked a few hundred mhz?

Soldato
I've got my One X for sale, but looking at the cost of PC, considering I have a GTX1070 laptop, it seems if I want any better game experience it's going to be considerable cost, even a 1200 quid PC isn't that much better in the graphics department.
Yeh as an X owner I've been wondering whether to sell up all my PC gear, getting really expensive to run a PC that can beat a top console.

Back
Top Bottom