• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Soldato
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-your-questions-answered/

If your game is already running at high frame rates, your GPU’s frame rendering time may be shorter than the DLSS execution time. In this case, DLSS is not available because it would not improve your framerate. [..] For games running at high frame rates or low resolutions, DLSS may not boost performance.

In other words, forget about DLSS helping you achieve 120/144/240 fps targets. Seems that it's made exclusively with RTX in mind as that has such a heavy performance impact. Though, of course, it's nothing short of idiotic to "upgrade" the IQ of limited areas of a scene while downgrading the entire scene visually.

But hey, gotta help the marketing guys somehow.

Typically for 4K DLSS, we have around 3.5-5.5 million pixels from which to generate the final frame, while at 1920x1080 we only have around 1.0-1.5 million pixels. The less source data, the greater the challenge for DLSS to detect features in the input frame and predict the final frame.

1440p = 3.7 mm pixels / 1800p = 5.7mm pixels. In other words, don't expect DLSS to EVER be better than 1800p, if it even reaches that level.

tl;dr lulz

Soldato
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-your-questions-answered/

In other words, forget about DLSS helping you achieve 120/144/240 fps targets. Seems that it's made exclusively with RTX in mind as that has such a heavy performance impact. Though, of course, it's nothing short of idiotic to "upgrade" the IQ of limited areas of a scene while downgrading the entire scene visually.

But hey, gotta help the marketing guys somehow.

1440p = 3.7 mm pixels / 1800p = 5.7mm pixels. In other words, don't expect DLSS to EVER be better than 1800p, if it even reaches that level.

tl;dr lulz
Yeah that was my take from Nvidia reply few pages back.

Tensor cores are too slow adding latency, so until the card shades are slowed down significantly through Ray tracing heavy load, they cannot keep up to render. And tensor cores are needed for the dlss.

Correct me if wrong but Nvidia all this years was for more fps at any cost...:D

Soldato
Without it being pointed out with side-by-side comparisons, I can't tell which screenshots have RT enabled and which don't. But I CAN see when DLSS is on (it's very blurry).

Soldato
Yeah, pointless really. One of the main reasons I like 4K is the sharpness and clarity of the image quality. Instead of DLSS one can just go back to standard looking 1440p and save on grunt needed right there than enable dlss.
Just played a few hours of BFV will DLSS and you just get used to it. I started even wondering if it was improving as I was playing. That's of course not the case. I did have a problem later where my FPS dropped drastically, something I saw during the early RT implementation. I was playing around with Afterburner at the time so maybe that caused it.
Also playing the new Far Cry game and that's as blurry without RT and DLSS as BFV is with DLSS. Similar FPS second too. While I can get 90-100FPS in FC if I tweak the settings, BFV is not far off if I I use medium RT especially, with DLSS on. BFV still looks nicer IMO.
I dunno. It can improve for sure but I don't mind using DLSS to be honest.
if they can keep progressing both technologies this year, next gen should be good in 2020 :). Not tried metro but interesting to see it's using RT for different things (global illumination not reflections)

Last edited:
Associate
Image quality = fail
Can't be used to boost fps in to higher refresh rate ranges = fail
Restricted access to the feature depending on graphics card model/res/RTX on/off = fail

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
if they can keep progressing both technologies this year, next gen should be good in 2020 :). Not tried metro but interesting to see it's using RT for different things (global illumination not reflections)
Let's hope so. Would be great is DLSS was to work as intended. That together with sane pricing next year would make me happy :)

Soldato
Lol guys, DLSS is already working as intended. It is degrading IQ for performance and anyone who believes differently is a perfect target for Nvidia's marketing BS.

Lol, "it just works" indeed.

Permabanned
IMO, the reason that we see so few titles showing RT and / or DLSS is simply due to the poor performance / results. I feel the series is nothing more than a beta stage rather than ready for market, otherwise we would have seen many titles ready for launch day. The launch demos content suggested this, the buyers should have done their homework first. With the 30 series we will see the RTX +/2.0 range offering much better performance / visuals. The same happened with async compute on Maxwell and with HDR on Pascal, now we have RTX with Turing.

Dose Metro Exodus also offer support for Nvidia's VXGI?

Soldato
IMO, the reason that we see so few titles showing RT and / or DLSS is simply due to the poor performance / results. I feel the series is nothing more than a beta stage rather than ready for market, otherwise we would have seen many titles ready for launch day. The launch demos content suggested this, the buyers should have done their homework first. With the 30 series we will see the RTX +/2.0 range offering much better performance / visuals. The same happened with async compute on Maxwell and with HDR on Pascal, now we have RTX with Turing.

Dose Metro Exodus also offer support for Nvidia's VXGI?

I suspect devs can't be bothered implementing it off their own backs as the time is far better invested in other things. They'll only do it if Nvidia pays them to.

Caporegime
I suspect devs can't be bothered implementing it off their own backs as the time is far better invested in other things. They'll only do it if Nvidia pays them to.

For DLSS its nvidia that are supposedly implementing it (or at least partially) and RT the devs, going by past history it (dlss) will be a fad in a few titles then die off. Ray tracing might have longer legs in that regard.

Soldato
I have no doubt that ray tracing will be the future, but pretty much only the 2080 Ti can handle it at any sort of meaningful resolution/framerate combo right now (unless you start dropping other settings, which sort of defeats the point), meaning you're catering for an absolutely tiny portion of the market. We're at least one generation away from it being available to the masses, and perhaps two. It'll also be interesting to see how strong Nvidia's commitment to supporting it via dedicated hardware is. The RTX cards have largely flopped due to their high pricing, so it'd need to be the case that they could still include all those extra cores whilst bringing the price down. Given their long history of half-assing and then abandoning technologies, I wonder if there'll even be an RTX round two, or if they'll put profits first and bring out cheaper, "normal" cards again.

DLSS is crap.

Soldato
massive success

massive games library
massive amounts of supported rendering resolutions
honesty in its description, after all its a form of anti aliasing not upscaling right
and finally the image quality, shimmering etc. is superb.

Back
Top Bottom