Lets talk snapd!

Soldato
So.... I am currently trailing Ubuntu 18.10.

For some reason my Fedora 29 install developed audio crackling issues so I took the opportunity to switch back to Ubuntu.

Having moved the dock to the bottom from the left I am much more happy and actually quite like it.

The theme is nice and subtle things like menus and fonts I like too.

Poking around I noticed lots of snap packages. Firefox and VLC for example.

As far as the internet tells me snap packages are auto updated (which is good) but then I was wondering why for example Firefox comes as a stock app from the Ubuntu repos as well as a snap package from Mozilla.

The internet rightly or wrongly tells me that there (at least was) issues with the Mozilla Firefox snap package.

Then I was trying to find information on the VLC snap package as that is at version 3.0.6 which is the latest as opposed to 3.0.4 which is in the Ubuntu repos.

Same goes for LibreOffice. Snap package is at 6.2.0.3 and Official is on 6.1.4.2.

How many of you use snap packages rather than the ones from the core repos?

Soldato
How many of you use snap packages rather than the ones from the core repos?

I don't bother with snap pakages, cant see the point when the repos update the packages for you

There again aur repos update almost instantly when a new release is out, one of the reasons why I don't do *butu based distros. That and the faf if on AMD

Soldato
OP
I don't bother with snap pakages, cant see the point when the repos update the packages for you

There again aur repos update almost instantly when a new release is out, one of the reasons why I don't do *butu based distros. That and the faf if on AMD

aur repos?

Also faff AMD? I have an older AMD card but in my experience and from what the internet says the opensource drivers work well on AMD on the other hand Nvidia needs the proprietary Nvidia drivers to be installed which can be more or less painful depending on distribution.

Last edited:
Soldato
aur repos?

Also faff AMD? I have an older AMD card but in my experience and from what the internet says the opensource drivers work well on AMD on the other hand Nvidia needs the proprietary Nvidia drivers to be installed which can be more or less painful depending on distribution.

Yes the aur, though am using Antergos so theirs too.

Older AMD cards are fine as their not updated that often by comparison to vega,
You are correct regards AMD/Nvidia across distros. Take Ubuntu for example, to get the latest Mesa you need to add a ppa, For AMDGPU driver you need to add another ect. Whilst AMD still works fine it's nice to get the benefits that have been upstreamed to the latest Mesa/AMDGPU.

Back
Top Bottom