First new PC since 2013 - high spec or not?

Associate
Hi all,

My current PC is on its last legs, with an error stopping it from booting into windows. I am still trying to find the specific problem and have another thread running in the general section. However I am also realistic enough to think this might be it for my current build.

So, I am looking to put together a new build, I won't need a keyboard, mouse and i think I am going to keep my current monitor (HP2475w) and graphics card (970) and look to upgrade those in the summer, when I can save up a bit. But everything thing else is up for grabs.

This is what I am thinking;

Case - NZXT H500 / H500i - any others to consider?
CPU CORE - I9-9900K 3.6GHZ (COFFEE LAKE) - I have gone large, but should I consider i5 - 8400 as an alternative?
CPU cooler - NZXT Kraken x62 or COOLER MASTER ML240L RGB AIO CPU COOLER - 240MM - will the ML do the job?
Power supply - EVGA SUPERNOVA G3 850W 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
Ram - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB DDR4-3200
Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
Hard Drive - Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
OS - Win 10 pro

This is about £1500, although if I did downgrade the CPU that would drop the price quite a bit. I am probably not going to o/c this build. Long term I would like a 4k monitor (32inch) and graphics card.

Happy for any opinions. Cheers

Soldato
If your just gaming, i7 9700k and save cash towards GPU. Extra threads wouldn't gain much performance and at 5ghz all cores still get max/ min FPS numbers the .2700x at 4.3ghz all core 1080p/1440p - 4k numbers as very slim difference unless is a Heavy CPU based game like Arma etc .
Corsair for better warranty then the rest .
Aorus RGB, cheaper then G.Skill and Samsung B-Die. Timings are very loose so get set to 3600hz speed .

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,193.13 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Associate
Hi. I am looking for a PSU and I am assessing what people are going for.

May I ask what's the difference between this PSU and the FOCUS PLUS 750W 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY? What makes, for example, you go for this one and not for the FOCUS?

Thank you.

Soldato
Hi. I am looking for a PSU and I am assessing what people are going for.

May I ask what's the difference between this PSU and the FOCUS PLUS 750W 80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY? What makes, for example, you go for this one and not for the FOCUS?

Thank you.

Both upper tier PSU units. Seasonic actually make AXi units for Corsair as they are a very large OEM.
Both have 10 yr warranty, difference is RMA . Corsair is UK based and believe Corsair rep @CorsairChris has mentioned that they replace units for RMA rather then repair .
Seasonic repair I believe is in Germany via 3rd party .

BOTH units are solid quality !

Corsair are a little more expensive as that's what you pay for

Soldato
Seasonic replaces their units new for old and they offer transferable warranty, so if you decide to sell your unit within the warranty period the new owner will be covered too. Their RMA center is in the Germany but least time I used them (2012) I sent it to someone in the UK for testing and then they sent me a new one from Ger many. The whole thing took 5 days turnaround.

Associate
OP
CODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,587.52 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Thanks orbitalwash - I have fiddled a bit. The Li lian case you suggested was not in stock, so I have added another. I was also not sure about a refurbished part, so swapped out too.

Any more thoughts?

Associate
OP
Thanks.

On reflection RGB is not a must as the case is not even that visible where its going to sit on the floor. I am looking at the 600's now, the 601 looks decent too.

Man of Honour
if it's going to sit on the floor, any decent case is good enough.
no need to spend hundreds on a case.
p350x for £65 is a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom