2x16GB set of RAM compatible with Ryzen 7 2700x

Associate
Short Version
I'm looking for recommendations for a 2x16GB set of RAM compatible with Ryzen 7 2700x. The compatibility lists have no 2x16GB options for my setup.

Setup consists of
Ryzen 7 2700X
Gigabyte ax370 gaming 5
Gigabyte 1080ti (not that it is relevant)

Prefer to buy from overclockers. Don't need it to be the best of the best, just reasonably priced & compatible.

Longer Version
I gave away my previous intel setup & am now using my "gaming" pc for everything. The only problem I have is 16GB is great for gaming but not so much for virtual machines & other work stuff. I want a 2x16GB set of RAM compatible with Ryzen 7 2700x. The compatibility lists have no 2x16GB options for my setup.

Associate
OP
That's simply not true & I see people saying the opposite all over the internet including the Gigabyte forum. People talking about having a nightmare of a time trying to get something compatible. If you have this motherboard & cpu & have a 16GB pair working I'd love to know what RAM kit you are using.

Permabanned
That's simply not true & I see people saying the opposite all over the internet including the Gigabyte forum. People talking about having a nightmare of a time trying to get something compatible. If you have this motherboard & cpu & have a 16GB pair working I'd love to know what RAM kit you are using.
All ram will work at spd speeds. Xmp is an overclock.

Like I said if you want ram that will 100% work you need to buy Samsung Bdie ram like what I linked you to.

Permabanned
Short Version
I'm looking for recommendations for a 2x16GB set of RAM compatible with Ryzen 7 2700x. The compatibility lists have no 2x16GB options for my setup.

Setup consists of
Ryzen 7 2700X
Gigabyte ax370 gaming 5
Gigabyte 1080ti (not that it is relevant)

Prefer to buy from overclockers. Don't need it to be the best of the best, just reasonably priced & compatible.

Longer Version
I gave away my previous intel setup & am now using my "gaming" pc for everything. The only problem I have is 16GB is great for gaming but not so much for virtual machines & other work stuff. I want a 2x16GB set of RAM compatible with Ryzen 7 2700x. The compatibility lists have no 2x16GB options for my setup.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £287.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/g.sk...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-10z-gs.html

Associate
Most AM4 motherboard vendors include a list of ryzen CPUs and listed RAM kits which work and at what speed. A lot of memory issues (i.e. not running at advertised speed) were sorted with the Ryzen 2000 series, but not all. As people have said here Samsung B die kits are the way to go if you want a plug and play solution, however there are cheaper kits available such as the corsair vengeance 3000/3200 kits which work just as well at our 60% of the cost.

Associate
My Patriot Viper set claimed it was AMD compatible, but to get it to work I had to disable any XMP settings, use the Ryzen DRAM calculator and set all the values manually. I then had to spend hours stability testing with various pieces of software (with some tweaks here and there when it wasn't stable).

Once it's done, its done, so its not such a big issue, unless you decide you want to start tweaking settings, find one that wont boot and have the clear CMOS... (always write settings down/keep your screenshots folks). There is profiles on the MSI motherboard, but they never actually load, they always throw up some stupid error.

I'm still not convinced mine is stable, it does make it through tests and I can play most games just fine, but for some reason Two Point Hospital will hard lock... it's the only program/game that does, but I cant think what else would cause a hardware instability in the system.

TL;DR... don't listen to manufacturers claiming their RAM Is Ryzen compatible, buy Samsung single rank B Die stuff.

Associate
OP
I'd already looked at G-skill's website board compatibility page & this RAM according to them is not compatible with my board. It isn't just a Ryzen thing, it is this board. Also they stopped listing this as an active product anyway. I don't know if it will be coming back in stock
Most AM4 motherboard vendors include a list of ryzen CPUs and listed RAM kits which work and at what speed. A lot of memory issues (i.e. not running at advertised speed) were sorted with the Ryzen 2000 series, but not all. As people have said here Samsung B die kits are the way to go if you want a plug and play solution, however there are cheaper kits available such as the corsair vengeance 3000/3200 kits which work just as well at our 60% of the cost.
Like I said in the first post there are no 32GB kits on Gigabyte's compatibility list.
If you have corsair vengeance 32GB kit working on this board I'm interested.
My Patriot Viper set claimed it was AMD compatible, but to get it to work I had to disable any XMP settings, use the Ryzen DRAM calculator and set all the values manually. I then had to spend hours stability testing with various pieces of software (with some tweaks here and there when it wasn't stable).

Once it's done, its done, so its not such a big issue, unless you decide you want to start tweaking settings, find one that wont boot and have the clear CMOS... (always write settings down/keep your screenshots folks). There is profiles on the MSI motherboard, but they never actually load, they always throw up some stupid error.

I'm still not convinced mine is stable, it does make it through tests and I can play most games just fine, but for some reason Two Point Hospital will hard lock... it's the only program/game that does, but I cant think what else would cause a hardware instability in the system.

TL;DR... don't listen to manufacturers claiming their RAM Is Ryzen compatible, buy Samsung single rank B Die stuff.
That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, a mate of mine from work had the same board (different cpu) & tried in vain to get a set to work. He could get a 16GB stick to work (but not at the advertised speed). Like me he loved the system, but he needed 32GB. In the end he sold his Ryzen system only a few months after building it. He went back to intel this was after a solid week of RAM hell messing about with it.

Last edited:
Associate
I think it would have been easier if I was happy running at 3000MHz, but I was determined to get it running at 3400ish... I don't remember what I settled at, but I think it was closer to 3200 in the end.

Associate
I was in the same boat, was looking for 2x16gb.

In the end i went for F4-3200C14D-32GTZR. I believe this is compatible as Samsung B Die, and very fast. Being CAS14 with tight timings, i am hoping for some good overclocking, however, i am not expert.

Back
Top Bottom