Author of a new VR book about Oculus and Facebook is live on the VR Roundtable Podcast today

Associate
Blake J. Harris, author of "Console Wars" has a new book out on the 19th called "The History Of The Future: Oculus, Facebook, And The Revolution That Swept Virtual Reality".

He's a guest on today's live episode of VR Roundtable in just over an hour (approx 5pm GMT, 6pm CET) from this post if you're interested.

Last edited:
Soldato
Listen every week to the audio at work.

Always great when guests appear on shows, fresh perspectives and all that. That voodoo guy the other week was interesting, good to see another guy enhancing the show.

Associate
OP
Always great when guests appear on shows, fresh perspectives and all that. That voodoo guy the other week was interesting, good to see another guy enhancing the show.

Looks like there might also be an extra episode this week on Wednesday (yet to be confirmed), with the new US operations manager from Pimax as a guest.

Soldato
Well it was an interesting listen. If you take his insight in to facebook as gospel, then it quite telling as to where they sit with VR, and are using the current generation and those that support it as more of a vehicle.

Less interested with the Palmer stuff. More of a eulogy to his character and persona, where the better story would have been with the roots and inception of VR and his relations with Carmack. Getting that Pimax guy is a good get. All we know and hear from the origins of the company is that they steam ahead with everything on happy abandon, hopefully this guys got his head screwed on and not living on the cool aid.

Hopefully the guys can quiz him on the marketing aspects and realizations of customers expectations of bringing a high value product to the western market.

Soldato
Have to say, that pimax guy inspired me with no kind of confidence. A bunch of well you know... answers for nearly everything. Obviously they aren't Facebook or HTC in size or number, but using that as an excuse for all their short comings wasn't great.

The ending question and his answer was the kicker for me. When asked about other units coming to market and one upping their offerings, his trailing answer of I've seen these things, others aren't even close... was about as believable as.....

I wanted to hear some sort of plan going forward, retail distribution, building confidence with consumers.

The guy was just a VR fan like any of us. I would be surprised if anybody carried the device in the uk. Thanks to the Roundtable guys for taking the time to nail this guy down, they do sterling work.

Back
Top Bottom