Damaged Pcie slot please help!!!

Man of Honour
So shall I buy that used motherboard now? To have it with me just in case someone else grabs it?
there's only one available, and it's pretty cheap...my gut feeling is yes, just buy it. you can always return it if you change your mind - just check amazon warehouse refund policy first before you click buy though :)

Associate
OP
there's only one available, and it's pretty cheap...my gut feeling is yes, just buy it. you can always return it if you change your mind - just check amazon warehouse refund policy first before you click buy though :)

I just bought the mobo. I’m sure you can return it and they wouldn’t sell a faulty board, if they did sell a faulty board that would be an instant refund anyway.

I found one place in London. Their site is epsilonpc.co.uk

They charge £120 for replacing the mobo and testing everything to ensure everything works. This includes testing the second gpu as well.

I’d have to get a uber/taxi with the rig to their store so they can replace the mobo though. Bad luck since I just recently gave my car back to the dealership too lol.

The board will arrive on the 21st of February. And my second option is call the company which built my pc and see if they can replace everything. But that requires buying packaging for the rig and sending it out. That will take longer most likely as well.

What do you think? I’ll still give the original builders a call tomorrow, as it wouldn’t hurt to see my options.

Associate
OP
I'd go with this option

Well then I’ll wait till the mobo arrives then either the same day or Friday go to them. They can’t overclock the cpu or anything though. So how will I be able to get the overclock I have with my current mobo back? I have the overclock bios setting file if that would help, I can just replicate all the options found in the file.

I just hope the gpu is not broken, lets all hope.

I’ll keep this thread updated. Thanks for all of your help btw buddy :) It’s much appreciated. I was very mad last night when this issue happened. I Felt like smashing everything in my house lol. I can’t do work or anything at the moment and will have to use my laptop temporarily. The most frustrating thing about when your main pc gets damaged is the fact that you have all of your work, programs and important stuff all on that pc. All accessible as well. I have an ultrawide monitor so I really do enjoy doing all of my work on that monitor/pc.

Replacing the mobo wont change the layout of my programs or mess with any of the storage/programs, ram, (hopefully) gpus, cpu etc right? Just so I can have peace of mind, hoping this issue didn’t affect or fry everything connected to the damn mobo.

Soldato
Once you've got everything up and running again - purchase a NAS (Qnap or Synology) or get some cloud storage. Then you can make sure you always have a copy of all of your important files if the very worst happens - good luck with everything matey!

Man of Honour
They can’t overclock the cpu or anything though.
they can, it just takes a while to find the optimum settings, so they may charge extra.

So how will I be able to get the overclock I have with my current mobo back?
DIY

I have the overclock bios setting file if that would help, I can just replicate all the options found in the file.
you can replicate the settings as the bios layout should be the same, but i don't think you can't load the bios file onto your new mobo as it's a different model. m8 hero (old) vs m8 extreme (new)

I just hope the gpu is not broken, lets all hope.
it shouldn't be. doesn't look like there's any physical damage on the gpu. only on the mobo.

I can’t do work or anything at the moment and will have to use my laptop temporarily. The most frustrating thing about when your main pc gets damaged is the fact that you have all of your work, programs and important stuff all on that pc. All accessible as well. I have an ultrawide monitor so I really do enjoy doing all of my work on that monitor/pc.
you can use your main pc, just plug your monitor cable to the mobo's graphics port (ie not your gpu graphics port)

Replacing the mobo wont change the layout of my programs or mess with any of the storage/programs, ram, (hopefully) gpus, cpu etc right?
no, shouldn't do.
what will happen, however is that windows will detect a hardware change, and will need reactivation.
when that happens, you can either automatically reactivate it, or call microsoft uk helpline to help with reactivation.

Associate
OP
they can, it just takes a while to find the optimum settings, so they may charge extra.

DIY

you can replicate the settings as the bios layout should be the same, but i don't think you can't load the bios file onto your new mobo as it's a different model. m8 hero (old) vs m8 extreme (new)

it shouldn't be. doesn't look like there's any physical damage on the gpu. only on the mobo.

you can use your main pc, just plug your monitor cable to the mobo's graphics port (ie not your gpu graphics port)

no, shouldn't do.
what will happen, however is that windows will detect a hardware change, and will need reactivation.
when that happens, you can either automatically reactivate it, or call microsoft uk helpline to help with reactivation.

The guy on the phone from epsilonpc.co.uk told me they don’t overclock when I had asked. So I’ll have to do it myself by replicating the options on the bios file I have. The easiest way to do this would be to take a pic of the options and carefully change tge options. Hoping I don’t do another mess up lol.

When windows reactivates will anything change or can I do it automatically and my desktop will be the same? And I wont need to recover windows or anything right? Because I don’t think I have the recovery disc/usb. Also is there a way to make a backup recovery of windows just in case in the future another issue comes up.

And I may use the onboard graphics hoping it doesn’t blue screen or anything just for the next few days.

I’ll add you as a friend, you seem like you know a lot about hardware and software :) I may need to PM you in the near future if I run into any issues when hopefully I get the pc mobo replaced and fixed.

Edit: I cant seem to find “add as friend” option and I cant message you.

Once you've got everything up and running again - purchase a NAS (Qnap or Synology) or get some cloud storage. Then you can make sure you always have a copy of all of your important files if the very worst happens - good luck with everything matey!

Will do, thank you! I’ll keep this thread updated.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The easiest way to do this would be to take a pic of the options and carefully change tge options.
yes

When windows reactivates will anything change or can I do it automatically and my desktop will be the same?
correct, nothing will change.
i've transplanted my computer when my old mobo broke before, just a matter of reactivating windows, that's all

And I wont need to recover windows or anything right?
as long as it's all transplanted correctly, then no. nothing else needed except reactivating windows

I’ll add you as a friend, you seem like you know a lot about hardware and software :) I may need to PM you in the near future if I run into any issues when hopefully I get the pc mobo replaced and fixed.
np, just post in this thread, if it isn't me, then someone else will always help :) being a computer enthusiast forum and all that lol...

Also is there a way to make a backup recovery of windows just in case in the future another issue comes up.
this^ especially if you have work and important stuff you can't afford to lose. always backup, backup, backup

Associate
OP
yes

correct, nothing will change.
i've transplanted my computer when my old mobo broke before, just a matter of reactivating windows, that's all

as long as it's all transplanted correctly, then no. nothing else needed except reactivating windows

np, just post in this thread, if it isn't me, then someone else will always help :) being a computer enthusiast forum and all that lol...

this^ especially if you have work and important stuff you can't afford to lose. always backup, backup, backup

Ok great. I will do a backup and purchase whats mentioned above. I’ll update the thread in due time :) thanks again for your amazing help buddy honestly.

Soldato
I’m not sure why you haven’t considered fitting the board yourself, it’s really not as difficult as you think and a substantial saving while learning some new skills?

I would say despite what happened have a bit more confidence and all you really need to do is read/watch how to reapply your AIO cooler, the rest is pretty basic plugging in. Sure someone would talk you through it if they can via discord also... Up to you, beats cabbing your PC about and paying £125 vs about 10 mins to transplant the components yourself.

Associate
OP
I’m not sure why you haven’t considered fitting the board yourself, it’s really not as difficult as you think and a substantial saving while learning some new skills?

I would say despite what happened have a bit more confidence and all you really need to do is read/watch how to reapply your AIO cooler, the rest is pretty basic plugging in. Sure someone would talk you through it if they can via discord also... Up to you, beats cabbing your PC about and paying £125 vs about 10 mins to transplant the components yourself.

I thought about that but wouldn’t I also need thermal paste to reapply on the cpu and cooler? To much risk to mess anything up and if there was any error code on the mobo I would have no idea what the cause would be. Or if the pc would not boot etc. But I do understand the possibility that this would be a good chance to gain experience and learn a new skill. Also despite the fact that I’m currently studying to become a game developer :p So I’m definitely into the whole pc tech/gaming scene. Doing the replacing myself and possibly messing up a core component would cost a lot more than when compared to paying roughly £120 to get all of that done plus testing ensuring everything works.

Cheers for your response though.

Soldato
They are soldered through so replacing it wouldnt be all that difficult, as well as im pretty sure the entire plastic slot comes off leaving the pins behind. Not tempted to just purchase say a replacement slot and take to a repair company to have it replaced?

If you are to bin it, dibs :p

Plus yes replacing the mobo is not hard by any means, certainly worth learning.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Smffy maybe you can help @2K4KGamer since you're both in ld
They are soldered through so replacing it wouldnt be all that difficult, as well as im pretty sure the entire plastic slot comes off leaving the pins behind. Not tempted to just purchase say a replacement slot and take to a repair company to have it replaced?

If you are to bin it, dibs :p

Plus yes replacing the mobo is not hard by any means, certainly worth learning.

The CPU, wiring, Cooler etc is complicated and knowing myself I could plug in the wrong wire from the mobo into something lol.

I think people underestimate when things do go wrong and it certainly looks easier than actually doing it. At least that’s what I think.

@Smffy maybe you can help @2K4KGamer since you're both in ldn :p

Would be great if someone could do the replacing in my own home lol. But I don’t think that’s an option from the research I’ve been doing.

Man of Honour
I think people underestimate when things do go wrong and it certainly looks easier than actually doing it. At least that’s what I think.
Would be great if someone could do the replacing in my own home lol. But I don’t think that’s an option from the research I’ve been doing.

it's pretty easy tbh. there's loads of guides on how to build a computer if you google around.
the difference in your case is that you have to disassemble your current computer first (but that's basically "how to build your computer" in reverse)

there's always a chance for things to go wrong, granted though. although it's nice to DIY a build. i sense that you'll probably want someone to help you in the first instance rather than diving off the deep end right from the start

Associate
OP
it's pretty easy tbh. there's loads of guides on how to build a computer if you google around.
the difference in your case is that you have to disassemble your current computer first (but that's basically "how to build your computer" in reverse)

there's always a chance for things to go wrong, granted though. although it's nice to DIY a build. i sense that you'll probably want someone to help you in the first instance rather than diving off the deep end right from the start

I’ve been considering since yesterday to do the replacing myself as this is a valuable opportunity to “build a pc” but technically in reverse, having thought about it.

I’ll just bubble wrap the pc and put a bag over the pc and the same for the second gpu separately and get a taxi over to that store mentioned previously lol. If this experience goes wrong then I’ll have to take another option and do it myself. Although it shouldn’t go wrong but it’s always good to have a backup option.

Mobo should be arriving on Thursday. Let’s hope amazon doesn’t delay the delivery :/

Cheers guys again.

Back
Top Bottom