Anyone using a noose chain?

Soldato
Hey,

My current chain is barely long enough to go around a post and the rearmost part of the wheel, so I’m planning on an upgrade that will hopefully be both more secure and a bit easier and less mucky to do.

I don’t park up away from either home or the office, both quite secure, aside once a week when I have to park for a couple of hours in a city centre motorbike bay.

A noose chain looks like a good option for portability as it almost halves the length of chain required.

I get that one end goes around either the bike frame or anchor, but how do I secure the other end?

I saw one option of creating another loop at the other end by cutting the sleeve and passing a link through another link, and securing with a padlock. While that sounds good, it means some extra length to the chain. Also, the space to get in around the frame is quite tight. The U-part of a lock fits okay, but a chunky chain might not.

yai417nl.jpg

Another option (as I’ve mocked up above using my bicycle lock) would be to have the noose tail run up to the bike, and then use a disc lock such as this Abus to lock the bike and chain together. There are are also D locks like the Pragmasis D lock, but I worry that at 130mm, it will leave too much space with in the D, leaving it vulnerable to levering.

If anyone else is using a noose chain, how are you securing the tail end?

Soldato
What bike have you got. This is quite a neat chain and lock - I use just the Abus Granit 68 disc lock itself, and another disc lock on the other wheel, as I rarely work somewhere with something I could chain to.

If you're wanting to secure through the frame then Almax do a pinch-pin that you might be able to use with a noose-type chain...

Soldato
OP
Hey

Thanks for the reply. I actually bought the Abus noose this morning that comes with the padlock type disc lock you linked to in your first post, in the hope that it will fit around my frame. My bike is a Vanvan, so naked with a traditional tubular exposed frame.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Actually, I ended up cancelling that order as while the lock is pretty beefy, it's actually only a 10mm chain.

I think the 1.5m noose Pragmasis 13mm is looking like the one to go for at the moment, and perhaps their small D lock or something similar to the red Abus to lock it to the frame.

Fortunately most places I park tend to have dedicated motorbike parking with something to chain it to.

Back
Top Bottom