Extended notice period due to long service

Caporegime
Well so long as you're not reliant on them for a good reference then in most cases they'd probably not do much. I guess technically you might end up being officially sacked/terminated though if they're not happy with you just deciding to not work your notice/not turn up. After all they're not going to want to pay you for that period of time and if they didn't agree to it then simply not turning up at work would be grounds for a disciplinary AFAIK.

Soldato
OP
Well so long as you're not reliant on them for a good reference then in most cases they'd probably not do much. I guess technically you might end up being officially sacked/terminated though if they're not happy with you just deciding to not work your notice/not turn up. After all they're not going to want to pay you for that period of time and if they didn't agree to it then simply not turning up at work would be grounds for a disciplinary AFAIK.

Well my new job is subject to satisfactory references so I'll need a reference. If there's no leeway I'll just have to ask my new employer if they could possibly delay my start date by a few weeks.

Caporegime
Well my new job is subject to satisfactory references so I'll need a reference. If there's no leeway I'll just have to ask my new employer if they could possibly delay my start date by a few weeks.

Did you not tell the new employer what your notice period would be in the first place? I mean that would surely have been easier than potentially needing to spring this on them later.

Soldato
From a hiring point of view the length of your notice period wouldn't be an issue for me for the most part, if you're the right candidate then waiting 4 extra weeks isn't going to make me suddenly withdraw the job offer - and even if I did I've then got to go through the faff of more paperwork, potential re interviewing, etc. The only time I'd be put off is if it was for an interim role where I just looking for a warm body to make up the numbers.

Soldato
OP
Did you not tell the new employer what your notice period would be in the first place? I mean that would surely have been easier than potentially needing to spring this on them later.

With hindsight this would have been the best thing to do but I couldn't find anything suitable with a start date over 6 weeks away, and by the time I'd applied and got.an interview that was down to 5 weeks.

We had new.contracts of employment about a year ago and although the extended notice for long service was now written in, many people were still giving 1 month notice with no apparent problems so it appeared this new clause wasn't being actively enforced.

So I thought I'd play it by ear, hopefully things will go smoothly but you're right, if I end up in a corner it's my fault.

Soldato
OP
From a hiring point of view the length of your notice period wouldn't be an issue for me for the most part, if you're the right candidate then waiting 4 extra weeks isn't going to make me suddenly withdraw the job offer - and even if I did I've then got to go through the faff of more paperwork, potential re interviewing, etc. The only time I'd be put off is if it was for an interim role where I just looking for a warm body to make up the numbers.

Well apparently this new employer does recruit regularly so if I've caused problems by trying to leave earlier hopefully they might delay my start date if, as you suggest, that's not a massive deal. It makes sense to me.

Soldato
Well apparently this new employer does recruit regularly so if I've caused problems by trying to leave earlier hopefully they might delay my start date if, as you suggest, that's not a massive deal. It makes sense to me.
Why haven't you just spoken to your new employer and said my notice period is 9 weeks, is this ok?

In fact how did you get offered the job without having already told them this? Did you lie to them?

Currently you are basically saying "screw it I will do what I want without a care for my contract". When I hire I don't care about notice periods as long as they are reasonable (2-3 months is perfectly normal) but I would care if a prospective candidate didn't adhere to a contract they signed with a previous employer. Breach of contract shows a lack of care, and to a new employer that isn't good.

Back
Top Bottom