Tenancy and deposits

Soldato
Hi all

I have lived in my flat for just short of 6 years, it is a local housing authority property, i never had to pay any deposit when i signed the tenancy nearly 6 years ago. Now i have been informed that i owe them 1 weeks rent as a deposit, are they allowed to just decide i owe them a weeks rent as a deposit years into my tenancy? I have never been asked for this before today.

The only thing i know that has changed is that they have joined with another local housing authority over a year ago, besides this there has been no changes and my rent is paid weekly via DD.

Cheers to anyone who can provide 100% clarity on this.

Caporegime
You're a housing association tenant? You could try contacting shelter as they'll likely know the score re: stuff like this.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Bit odd that you've had no deposit at all, most deposit issues seem to involve landlords no giving them back and/or not securing them in an official scheme (which generally means you're entitled to compensation!).

How much are we talking? I can imagine it's not a lot?

True but there the principle of it though and it might be a lot to him, especially given it is a housing association property.

Soldato
OP
Anything in the tenency agreement, are you moving out, is there any damage?
No, as i signed the tenancy in 2014, i was never asked to pay a deposit, now out the blue they say they want a weeks rent as deposit, im not moving anywhere and i look after my flat.

Permabanned
Landlords change terms sometimes, it's basically the same as increasing rent. You either agree it or you don't (and potentially have to move out), but I don't see how they can require it without you agreeing to it.

Soldato
OP
You're a housing association tenant? You could try contacting shelter as they'll likely know the score re: stuff like this.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

Bit odd that you've had no deposit at all, most deposit issues seem to involve landlords no giving them back and/or not securing them in an official scheme (which generally means you're entitled to compensation!).

True but there the principle of it though and it might be a lot to him, especially given it is a housing association property.
Thanks for the link, i will see what they say.

Soldato
OP
Landlords change terms sometimes, it's basically the same as increasing rent. You either agree it or you don't (and potentially have to move out), but I don't see how they can require it without you agreeing to it.
Exactly, ive never been asked once for a deposit, now they are saying they want one.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Exactly, ive never been asked once for a deposit, now they are saying they want one.
Well you should have been asked for one when you moved in. And now you have. It's £100. Seems like you are being difficult for no reason.

Soldato
Never known council housing or housing associations to take deposits. Does your tenancy agreement say anything about deposits or the possibility of requiring one in the future? As mentioned above I would take advice from Shelter or CAB.

Caporegime
Well you should have been asked for one when you moved in. And now you have. It's £100. Seems like you are being difficult for no reason.

Why should he have been asked for one? If they were meant to ask him for one and they didn't it's their error, not his.

I meant to ask you for £100 to reply to your post but I forgot. Gief money now.

Back
Top Bottom