would a m.2 ssd make a good single drive solution?

Associate
Also interested in this.

I currently have a 500gb Vertex 4 for OS / apps / My Docs, and then a 1TB 850 evo for games.

Considering slimming down and going for a single drive nvme 1 TB. But unsure if there are advantages to keeping the OS and games separate.

Would a 500gb nvme OS drive and my 850 games drive be a better option? I know the nvme makes only seconds difference, but I want the best :)

Soldato
I would keep os and games drive separate. I have 512gb nvme and 2tb drive for games.

No point in NVME drives for games, normal SSD will do, you wont notice the difference in loading or speed. But for OS nvme is a must, windows installs FAST and loading is also very quick.

better to buy a 2tb normal SSD than a 1tb nvme. 1tb game drive fills up FAST, 2tb is good compromise. 4tb is expensive still.

also wanted to add, my 2tb mechanical drive when used for gaming made hardly any difference compared to my 2tb nvme. Yeah games loaded faster and installed faster, but the speed difference was not worth the money. The games loaded few seconds faster, that was it. Rather wait those fee seconds and save £400. A good compromise is normal SSD, loading speed is not far off nvme tbh, i went nvme more for space constraints that speed. If i had room would just of got mechanical or normal ssd.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for reply.

well in my case i just wanted a single drive option in m.2 for to allow smaller builds, but for now i am waiting delivery of a 240gb wdg m.2 ssd, i was nearly getting a 500gb wdb version as im taking delivery of a sugo sg13 as well, but in this instance im going to need my mech drive for the moment.

i am replacing my system with a 2nd gen itx version, however i was looking at the Asrock b450m pro4 which has 2 m.2 slots which i might get at a later date and use that instead then i wont need a mech drive at all and could probably do away with a 500gb + 1tb m.2 setup.

i was just curious how good a m.2 be long term and price over a 1tb .25 ssd.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

better to have multiple drives if you ask me.

I have 2 ssd's, 1 for boot and 1 for games. and I have a 4tb HDD for media

Associate
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to provide a bit of information regarding the question of 1 vs 2 drives.

I have for years ran with a 500gb ssd for OS and a 1tb ssd for games.

I went and purchased a 1tb nvme drive with the thought of putting everything on one drive, but a few tests had me back peddle. Basically I found in my very crude testing that with everything on one drive games take longer to load. In one instance load times were increased by 10 sec's (DCS world) with everything on the nvme vs separate SSD's.

So after a days worth of testing I decided to do a fresh install of W10 on the new nvme and keep my 1tb games SSD drive.

Windows definitely running snappier, and starts a good 5 seconds quicker, but worth the cost.... probably not. Certainly a underwhelming updrade, but my old OS SSD was pushing 6 years old so figure a fresh drive was not a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom