Laws for driving LWB Hightop Transit 3.5 tonnes

Soldato
I seem to remember from when I last did a speed awareness course there was some discussion about speed limits for vans, car derived vans and 'grey area' vehicles such as vehicles which were based on the same model but sold in van and MPV forms and pickups. From memory, in these cases which limit applied was determined by the vehicle classification on the V5 rather than simply weight and it was entirely possible for almost identical vehicles to be subject to different limits simply because they were registered differently. I'm not going to say with any certainty which speeds apply to which classifications for fear of giving out misleading information but it's worth you finding out how your truck is classified and starting your research from there.

Man of Honour
I seem to remember from when I last did a speed awareness course there was some discussion about speed limits for vans, car derived vans and 'grey area' vehicles such as vehicles which were based on the same model but sold in van and MPV forms and pickups. From memory, in these cases which limit applied was determined by the vehicle classification on the V5 rather than simply weight and it was entirely possible for almost identical vehicles to be subject to different limits simply because they were registered differently. I'm not going to say with any certainty which speeds apply to which classifications for fear of giving out misleading information but it's worth you finding out how your truck is classified and starting your research from there.

Yeah this is the problem there seems to be no 100% clarity on dual purpose, double cab, pickups - you get information on the one hand that they are exempted (or not) by name or classification and on the other hand that unladen weight still applies despite there often being no clear unladen weight spec for many of them.

(And depending on which question you ask the DVLA you get a different answer).

Soldato
Bit late here but...
With vans it's generally easy to tell, single rear wheels usually means upto 3.5t driveable on a cat B, dual rears is over 3.5t (due to tyre weight ratings, transit tyres are usually about 1000kg per tyre)

Back
Top Bottom