how too cut this ?

Associate
hi,
i need to cut this ikea floating shelf square were the blue line is don't have circular saw so it will be a handsaw job would i be better off scoring first with a Stanley knife ? top material not very thick just don't want too make a pigs ear of it.

cut end will be going tight into a corner but id like it to be as neat as possible.

cheers.

iY2iQ9O.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
If you only have a hand saw use that but cut the top with a Stanley and it will cut fine. Chopped one of them up myself about 5 years ago

Associate
I would try and get something in between the two thin layers, will help avoid snapping the veneer when you saw through it (assuming you do saw it)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I had to do that once. Being a scale modeller, I used a razor saw and smoothed it off with a sanding block. Worked a treat.

Have got a spear and Jackson tenon saw looks similar too one of them not sure if it sharp enough though had it 30 years cant remember last time it was used, will have too dig it out tomorrow.

I would try and get something in between the two thin layers, will help avoid snapping the veneer when you saw through it (assuming you so saw it)

yeah good idea it's like egg box inside seen a video on you tube of some guy chopping one up, i put 3 up today though there pretty sturdy once up Max. load 5-15 kg i got quoted a absolute fortune too have 4m of chunky 30 mm thick pine shelf's made up used to be able to get them from b and q but they no longer sell them.

so am going to replace the pine stuff with lack shelf's.

Last edited:
I've cut up a few of those sandwich type thick IKEA boards myself.
The laminate will chip so you want fine and sharp saw, a good fine tenon saw will work a treat.

I found I needed to a little remedial work when i did mine, a bit of reinforcing with some PVA. Does depend how you are fixing them though.
My main one was to increase the height of a Expedit unit to be 6 high, by 4 wide. So I had a 4x4 and modified a 2x4 to go on top. As i was keeping boxes in it I added a few small brackets as they cant be seen, but even so I needed to stabilise the inner core a little.

Putting tape on the surfaces your cutting can help a little, can also make followig the cut lie easier as you can use contrasting colour and mark a line on that. Or clamp another think piece of wood along the cut lines, this should bear the brunt of the ripping the outer surface can get.

Associate
OP
I've cut up a few of those sandwich type thick IKEA boards myself.
The laminate will chip so you want fine and sharp saw, a good fine tenon saw will work a treat.

I found I needed to a little remedial work when i did mine, a bit of reinforcing with some PVA. Does depend how you are fixing them though.
My main one was to increase the height of a Expedit unit to be 6 high, by 4 wide. So I had a 4x4 and modified a 2x4 to go on top. As i was keeping boxes in it I added a few small brackets as they cant be seen, but even so I needed to stabilise the inner core a little.

Putting tape on the surfaces your cutting can help a little, can also make followig the cut lie easier as you can use contrasting colour and mark a line on that. Or clamp another think piece of wood along the cut lines, this should bear the brunt of the ripping the outer surface can get.

just picked up a laminate saw 14 point per inch not tried it yet can't seem to locate me tennon saw will try the masking tape ta.

Associate
OP
managed too sort it cuts okay not as perfect as circular saw but good enough, decided to take two shelf's full width of the wall happy with the butt joint in the middle had too pack the bottom edge of the right hand shelf bracket with 2ps too kick it up 2mm it was drooping.

wall on the left was 9mm out of square had too cut at an angle left the other side as is only a few mm out of square.
cut side,
IRXM4O4.jpg

bfkhQu6.jpg

XXLfhw5.jpg

bit of gap right side left as is, in tolerance i thought dodgy walls.
3pY43Gw.jpg

it occurred too me after should i have left expansion gaps as i have gone full width across the wall like you do with laminate flooring ?

Back
Top Bottom