• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
I received my Radeon VII yesterday and first day of tweaking and benchmarking was smooth sailing ,no issues .Even managed to get a decent score in FS (30788 GPU score) and I was pleased .Problems started today when I went back to improve my score .Suddenly ,my settings that gave me good scores yesterday can barely get me past 25500 in GPU score ? I don't understand what is going on ,everything is the same but scores are not .Stock settings still give the same results as yesterday.I reinstalled drivers as well but no change .If anyone has any suggestions id be very interested to hear them .

Man of Honour
Bit of a late reply, but Gamesnexus tested the memory with the intention of hitting the limits of the 2080 and other than one test, found no benefit to the VII- And they had to go to the point where games were unplayable anyway...

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3438-amd-radeon-vii-anti-aliasing-5k-8k-benchmarks-vs-2080

This is the problem with gauging VRAM utilisation - a lot of games use lazy garbage collection, etc. and/or keep a certain amount of data cached depending on VRAM size just incase it is needed with often zero impact on performance.

Associate
Good review. Fair. Basically says either or. Matter of preference. Personally I love my Radeon VII. It's undervolting like a champ, runs just as cool as a 2080 if not more and fan RPM sits at about 2500 RPM.

Oh and of course it's not Nvidia :D

Associate
Good review. Fair. Basically says either or. Matter of preference. Personally I love my Radeon VII. It's undervolting like a champ, runs just as cool as a 2080 if not more and fan RPM sits at about 2500 RPM.

Oh and of course it's not Nvidia :D

This seems to be a trend with reviews that were done after the release drivers were available: it seems closer to a toss up (and everyone's a bit disappointed from both sides). 2080 still seems a few % points faster on average, runs on a bit less power, and quieter; VII has more memory and a better game bundle... and well, it's not nV.

And, as Metro: Exodus still shows, RTX is near useless at present (and not worthwhile for the performance hit).

Permabanned
Makes sense as well as it matches the underside of the gpu so you have 2 vents of similar size instead of one being restricted because of a logo. VqRZ5D6.jpg

ZPe5B1B.jpg

Someone with a 3D printer could make new shrouds with out any sides to it to maximise airflow going through & out from the heatsink, I'd happily buy one. It could do with it as the better side for airflow on the stock cooler is hitting the motherbard which means it does no better than the other side anyway.

Soldato
Try to think about it as, would you buy those games and at what price would you decide to purchase them. If not then how much would you be able to get for the bundle if you can be bothered with the hassle.

Back
Top Bottom