*** Nintendo Switch ***

Man of Honour
Their first party offerings have been trash, but people seem to lap up the full priced ports and third parties have carried its success in combination with an ideal form factor.

Soldato
Nintendo have played a binder with the Switch. Literally only had to knock out 4-5 proper new AAA games for the console and they have sold an insane number of units. Things like BOTW, DK:TF, MarioKart, SMB:U Deluxe have all made them huge amounts of money for moving a game from the Wii U to the Switch.

Personally I think they have been rubbish when it comes to first party new games. BOTW was for the Wii U so where is the next zelda game? Where is the next MarioKart or more DLC?

They are slowly bringing some games like Animal crossing, Metroid, Pokemon etc across but it feels like they didn't even start to think about these games until the Switch started selling like hot cakes.

They're also, weirdly, in a "lucky" position because the Wii U was such a flop. I owned one, but so many Switch owners won't have been able to play BOTW, DK, MK, SMB:U etc. previously, so to them they're brand new games.

fez

fez

Caporegime
They're also, weirdly, in a "lucky" position because the Wii U was such a flop. I owned one, but so many Switch owners won't have been able to play BOTW, DK, MK, SMB:U etc. previously, so to them they're brand new games.

You can't really blame Nintendo for cashing in especially with the Wii U being such a flop but its the lack of new entries that is annoying.

Their first party offerings have been trash, but people seem to lap up the full priced ports and third parties have carried its success in combination with an ideal form factor.

I mean, if you remove third party ports from the Switch as well as first party you would have a ridiculously thin game selection on the Switch. The fact that the a good chunk of "good" games coming out in the next year are ports and that Nintendo themselves push these old "remasters" in their official directs etc shows how little they are releasing that is new and up to date. Will be interesting to see whether things like Luigis mansion 3, Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Bayonetta arrive in 2019. My bet would be that Pokemon will be 2019 regardless and the others will all be pushed back to 2020.

Soldato
I never owned a Wii U so this is all new for me. I've loved my time with most of the ports I've bought.

Life cycles on consoles is generally around 7 years so who knows we might even see another 3D Zelda on this machine - rumour has it that they've already started on the next one. I don't think Nintendo expected this kind of success so they've been caught out a bit. They'll catch up though and I think towards the end of this year and into the next.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having been burnt by the Wii u I'm still yet to pick up a switch. For me though the amount of 'new' games is depressing given I have all the big wii u games.

I'd be looking at a sub 200 price cut and games like fzero to come out before moving to get one and I guess by that point a new model will be out too.

It does surprise me that games have been trickling out on the system given its success. I remember the wii days and the constant flow of games

Man of Honour
Having been burnt by the Wii u I'm still yet to pick up a switch. For me though the amount of 'new' games is depressing given I have all the big wii u games.

I'd be looking at a sub 200 price cut and games like fzero to come out before moving to get one and I guess by that point a new model will be out too.

It does surprise me that games have been trickling out on the system given its success. I remember the wii days and the constant flow of games

I have a ton of games but most of them are indies, with the odd game like Odyssey, Octopath or Mario & Rabbids sprinkled in there.

Associate

1st Party has been limited so far if you were a Wii U owner, but judging by the recent direct and what we didn't see but know is coming in the next twelve months things are beginning to move in the right direction. Xbox One and PS4 were also slow out of the blocks with both taking a couple of years to gain decent momentum.

Caporegime

i don't know about "new" games but the amount of games available is vast. i owned a wii for a bit never owned a wii u or anything else nintendo. i was on the sega side of things way back when but i was always jealous of that bazooka thing with the eye scope you got for the nes / snes.

Soldato
"Trials Rising" open Beta is available as a Free download in the estore. Seems a bit funny releasing an open Beta, when my full version is due for delivery tomorrow; is this normal practice for Switch releases? I guess Open Beta is another terminology for Demo?

Associate
I mean I've been VERY happy with my Switch and games released. Understand why others who owned the Wii U may be annoyed but I'm getting the opportunity to replay all the fantastic games that I missed out.

Soldato
Instant Gaming have Celeste for £14.99, might go for that tonight. I've bought PSN credit from them before, was a bit of an odd process with an ID verification stage but after that the code came right through.

Soldato
"Trials Rising" open Beta is available as a Free download in the estore. Seems a bit funny releasing an open Beta, when my full version is due for delivery tomorrow; is this normal practice for Switch releases? I guess Open Beta is another terminology for Demo?

Have you seen the coverage or tried it, looks like a pretty poor version from what I read which is a shame.

Soldato
Have you seen the coverage or tried it, looks like a pretty poor version from what I read which is a shame.
Yes. Not too happy tbh. Playing the demo the fog is only in the first level and not noticing supposed drops less than 30FPS. Overall enjoying the demo untill my copy arrives, in a lack lustre kind of way.
Will not be blind preordering any more Switch titles.

Soldato
Just seen that there's a rumour doing the rounds about Microsoft using the Switch as a testing ground for streaming of Game Pass titles. Really hope that's true :D

Also, they apparently might announce that they're going to start publishing games to the Switch.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/games/.../xbox-game-pass-rumour-report-nintendo-switch

I saw this too. Pretty crazy stuff if true. Fits if MS want GP to be a Netflix type thing which can run on any platform. Interesting times.

Back
Top Bottom