• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA RTX 2080 Black fan noise

Associate
Hi, I don't know if I've gotten a faulty card so I wanted to check here with everyone else.

I've upgraded from a Gainward 980 to the EVGA 2080 Black and have found a few things to be off.

The fans on the 2080 at low temperatures are constantly turning off and on and every single time they do there is a sort of grinding sound the moment they turn on (just a split second). An exampel video would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sVX_UVKNSI - as you can see his fans slow down, speed back up and the noise occurs exactly the same as mine, even tho it's not a EVGA. Is this a faulty card?

Other than this, I unfortunately never paid much attention to the heat levels of my old card but if memory serves me right the temperature while just idling/watching videos on youtube was in the mid 30s while on my rtx 2080 its in the 45-50 range. Should this be normal at all or should I look into returning this card?

Soldato
By what you’ve described this is something that would likely be fixed with an updated bios. Have EVGA released an update for your card?

It sounds as if the fans are PWM controlled rather than voltage, as PWM sounds horrible when just on the edge of having enough juice to make the fans spin.

The idle temps do seem a tad high but if the fans aren’t spinning I guess it is to be expected. If a bios update isn’t available maybe a custom fan curve will help?

Soldato
This does seem to be common issue and occurs on mine also. Best solution is to just set the fan at 15-20% and it's inaudible, and you avoid the start up 'grind'. Set it with Precision X1 and ensure that it's set to start with Windows, and you'll never have this problem again. Basically you can't let the fan stop... it's when it starts from a stop position that you get the noise.

Soldato
It seems silly you have to negate one of the big selling features of the card tho - I've always spent a bit more to get a 0% fan card

Yes, daft really... it obviously runs fine at 0% but it's at the point where it needs to start up that the problem arises. A fan curve tweak would easily resolve this of course, either such that it's always on (at a low speed it literally is inaudible), or you just delay that start up point so it only kicks in at a higher temp.

Given how common an occurence this appears to be on the EVGA cards though, it's unforgivable something wasn't done to fix it beforehand. I can't believe it wasn't noticed, and despite being a GPU priced at over £1K (the 2080Ti that is) they obviously thought "nahhh, let's not bother with that."

Back
Top Bottom