What have you done to your car today?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Nothing on there unfortunately.
What year is the cooper S? I might be missing something glaringly obvious as i do not know these cars, but there are non OEM HPFPs all over ebay (new) for as little as £115 listed as compatible with the Cooper S Turbo. There are also genuine OEM items listed at around £340 which may be preferable.

As i say, probably missed something obvious, or your car differs from the models below. But i was interested in a £600 part as it seemed expensive.

for Mini R55 Cooper S & JCW models N14

for Mini R56 Cooper S & JCW models N14

for Mini R57 Cooper S & JCW models N14

for Mini R58 JCW models N14

for Mini R59 JCW models N14

Associate
It's an R56 with the N18 Engine. I've seen them listed on ebay but the ones suitable for cheap are from China which im not interested in because I don't trust them. I could get a genuine part on ebay from the UK for about £300-400 but I don't see the point as they don't come with replacement pressure hoses or tubing or same warranty, which is included with the OEM BMW part at the dealership.

The HPFP form the dealership breaks down as:
> Fuel Pump - £407.84
> New Tubing - £30.60
> Pressure Hoses - £14.92
> Tube Collars - £0.48

So £453.84 for the OEM parts which come with a 3 year warranty and I've been told its an improved design so shouldn't die again. £68 labour and then the standard 20% vat on it all takes it up to around £626. So for peace of mind its the best option really. If I wasn't getting 50% goodwill I'd definitely be going the ebay route as £1252 would be ridiculous.

Caporegime
Been offered a V8 E39 as a swap for my MX5. It has a years ticket on it and it works, which for that kind of price/deal is good enough for the opportunity to try a V8 and an auto even if its only for a year to then strip it. :p

Only trouble is that I might be getting a new job further away, so going from a car that can do 35MPG to one that does maybe 27 isn't the best plan... :eek:

Caporegime
Been offered a V8 E39 as a swap for my MX5. It has a years ticket on it and it works, which for that kind of price/deal is good enough for the opportunity to try a V8 and an auto even if its only for a year to then strip it. :p

Only trouble is that I might be getting a new job further away, so going from a car that can do 35MPG to one that does maybe 27 isn't the best plan... :eek:

If you can't afford to run the difference in 8mpg then you can't run a V8 and all that comes with it…

But won't this be like the 3rd time you are getting rid of a MX5 or a good car in general into something unknown?

Caporegime
If you can't afford to run the difference in 8mpg then you can't run a V8 and all that comes with it…

But won't this be like the 3rd time you are getting rid of a MX5 or a good car in general into something unknown?

It would represent about £80 a month in additional fuel. For this sort of money I'm not particularly worried about it going wrong. Anything which would be expensive will be the demise of the car, I can easily break it and get the money back. People pay £500 for the engine alone.

TBH I might just do it even if I only keep it for a handful of weeks/months. Why not eh... Bit of an experience :p

I will also say though, I'm not exactly a stranger to obscene maintenance and repair costs. -cough- E30 -cough-

Caporegime
It would represent about £80 a month in additional fuel. For this sort of money I'm not particularly worried about it going wrong. Anything which would be expensive will be the demise of the car, I can easily break it and get the money back. People pay £500 for the engine alone.

TBH I might just do it even if I only keep it for a handful of weeks/months. Why not eh... Bit of an experience :p

I will also say though, I'm not exactly a stranger to obscene maintenance and repair costs. -cough- E30 -cough-

I think we've given up trying to stop you as it never worked so please report back :D

Soldato
Not today, but yesterday i sold the 340i :( I'm absolutely gutted, but it's undoubtedly the right decision. Motivated me to go to the Nurburgring for the first time, which is a place that I now absolutely adore.

****-box run around for a few months and using the motorbike for work, then middle East for 6 months with work. I have a real hankering for a Fiesta ST when I come back, but I will not spend such an amount of money (or more accurately, such a percentage of my salary) on a car again. It was a little crazy :p But if not now, when.

Not sure what model of ST; I love the Mk 7 in Spirit Blue, but the nwe model just looks like such an upgrade. Hopefully they'll be a couple grand cheaper in a year or so when i'll be looking to buy one.

Caporegime
As far as I know, it needs two bushes, two brake pipes, one door handle has snapped off and the cruise control doesn't work. But it represents £900~ for something which has a V8, a years MOT, and works. :p

There are a ton of things he is not telling you, ignore the MOT, I bet it’s full of leaks, vibrations and all sorts which will drive you nuts.

Man of Honour
I had to replace the Corrado ignition barrel. That was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. Seat out, under trays out, upper and lower steering column covers off, height adjustment lever off, then drill into the anti theft metal sleeve to release a hidden latch. Swap the barrel and then refit everything. But at least I know I won't get stranded again after it jammed a couple of times.

God I love driving this car on a bright sunny day :)

Back
Top Bottom