Spending money on hobbies - do you keep track?

Soldato
Years ago I only used to have about £30 per week left to myself after paying everything and i used to be really careful what I spend it on..

Now days I have much more spare cash and I waste thousands every year on stuff I really no need..:o

Soldato
OP
Years ago I only used to have about £30 per week left to myself after paying everything and i used to be really careful what I spend it on..

Now days I have much more spare cash and I waste thousands every year on stuff I really no need..:o
Nail, head, why I posted. I'm aware I have stuff I haven't even opened - projects, components for stuff I want to build (electronics).

Saying that, when I was broke I still used to hoard things - I'd find furniture or buy broken stuff and fix it. I want to live leaner, but I think the real aim is to actually utilise my time well.

Associate
I've actually found that the more disposable income I have I am more reserved in what I'm spending my money on. Having lived through days in my twenties where I was genuinely skint I don't really have a desire to blow huge amounts of money unless I can justify it. I'd rather put it in to savings and have a tracker on what I am saving each month. That said I know I am in a very fortunate position where I can spend pretty much what I want without feeling it, just spent 4.5k on a gaming rig for example (However that was my first new build in 10 years). Generally I budget a set amount to spend on what I want, social / tech whatever and that seems to be a good balance between being sensible whilst enjoying life and not being a total bore.

Caporegime
Pretty balanced responses so far. Good to know I'm not in immediate danger of sinking into debt ;)

TBF I spend a lot of time scouring eBay and I'd argue that it's a part of the enjoyment. Love catching a deal, or getting a new toy to play with. Makes for good commute/lunchtime activity.

Went on my first proper holiday last year and have also stepped up my eating out game - food's always been a big passion. Experiences are worth spending out on!

Same.
I've bought so much lego if the flat caught fire it would burn for days and probably raise the atmospheric temperature a degree

Totted up 40-50k pieces!

Soldato
I am reasonably careful about purchases, but sometimes you just have to treat yourself :)

P.S. I did not just click purchase on an Alienware AW3418DW. Nope, definitely did not.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fishtanks and vortech pumps and powerheads are really cheap now days.

I keep telling my GF this... :p

I haven't actually done too badly, got most of the bits second hand, but still easily into 4 figures before any livestock :(

Keep eyeing up a bigger tank, but then to do it properly, you're into holiday of a lifetime, new car, or house extension territory :p

Last edited:
Soldato
While I spent a good deal of money on clay shooting and motorcycling over the years, I never really had the uncontrollable impulse purchasing which was a major part of my PC gaming or airsofting hobbies.

Fortunately, I’ve managed to reign this in with my return to photography.

Soldato
I put aside money for my hobbies every month. When I come to buy something, I use that money. It's not set in stone, but there's normally enough money there to buy something if I really want it without touching other money.

Caporegime
Are we all living off credit cards?
Hell, no.

Apart from the years immediately after uni, I've always maintained a positive bank balance. Additionally I spend much less than I earn annually.

But then I chose to continue living at home, and I understand that this is seen as making me literally worse than Hitler in many people's eyes.

Some people even want to bring back the death penalty for people who live at home past their 23rd birthday.

Soldato
But then I chose to continue living at home, and I understand that this is seen as making me literally worse than Hitler in many people's eyes.

Some people even want to bring back the death penalty for people who live at home past their 23rd birthday.
Over here kids are living at home till an older and older age due to very high house & rent prices..
It not easy for many young people to find or be able to get about 350k for there first house :mad:

Man of Honour

Around here a lot of people are either living with their parents longer and/or moved back and will be living with their parents until quite late in life - a good bit of that is the insane rate rent has increased around here without a similar increase in income. Couple of people I work(ed) with have moved back to their parents in their 40s because they've been priced out of anything other than the **** part of town that no one wants to live in and have limited employment prospects in terms of higher salary.

EDIT: Having said that popping on rightmove I have found a couple of places that are in reasonable areas if they are a little small despite the bulk of the cheaper ones being either in bad areas or being very nasty.

Soldato
OP
Around here a lot of people are either living with their parents longer and/or moved back and will be living with their parents until quite late in life - a good bit of that is the insane rate rent has increased around here without a similar increase in income. Couple of people I work(ed) with have moved back to their parents in their 40s because they've been priced out of anything other than the **** part of town that no one wants to live in and have limited employment prospects in terms of higher salary.

EDIT: Having said that popping on rightmove I have found a couple of places that are in reasonable areas if they are a little small despite the bulk of the cheaper ones being either in bad areas or being very nasty.
This is a big thing; I can afford lots of niceties but buying a house anywhere around where I live is borderline impossible. Certainly it's achievable and I'm saving, but if I forego all my hobbies to save faster, I'd still be saving 5+ more years. House prices and rent have grown far too fast.

Back
Top Bottom