• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia DLSS 5 months on-a win or fail?

Caporegime
I mean both FXAA and forms of TAA can be custom implemented as well as just turned on - The Division has its own built in TAA for instance but it didn't take months of development.

I'm not sure where Athlon gets his ideas from sometimes.

TAA does take a lot of work to get right in modem game engines. There were developers yalojnh about DLSS and how it would save a lot of development time . Will hunt for the link later.

Of course there are off the shelf solutions buy then the quality is bad and this is where DLSS will.lkkely have the biggest impact on offering better quality 30-40% faster

Soldato
I think this just highlights how much potential DLSS and how much the technology can be improved in the next year.

That is a massive improvement in just a few weeks and 1 single patch.

It also shows that those early comparisons were clearly flawed. Something was wrong. It is also disappointing Nvidia would have been happy to release the DLSS support shown earlier when it was clear not up to par. That has cinema lot of damage that will be hard to convince the sceptics of the potential.

A lot of the skeptics are total numties

On reddit and youtube comments it's a bag of trash, so many people all over the place saying things like "DLSS is fake" "DLSS is just upscaling with a new name"
Not understanding at all how DLSS actually works, despite being detailed thoroughly time after time again

I posted pictures on other websites of the Port Royal demo to show what DLSS looks like with enough training and got told "thats just fake Nvidia marketing"

And yet here we are, Metro DLSS now looks like native AND has a big performance boost

Soldato
Still waiting for them to get it to work with HDR. We'll see if they work on it any further or bail now that it doesn't look like complete shik. In Exodus.

Man of Honour
TAA does take a lot of work to get right in modem game engines. There were developers yalojnh about DLSS and how it would save a lot of development time . Will hunt for the link later.

Of course there are off the shelf solutions buy then the quality is bad and this is where DLSS will.lkkely have the biggest impact on offering better quality 30-40% faster

Not months of actual developer time spent on it though - while work on a TAA solution can be spread over months of an engines development it will be the odd day here or there updating the technique as new features are implemented.

These days there is detailed information on the technique and best practises for handling motion vectors, etc. - initial setup for custom TAA takes around a day to implement, then a couple of weeks once you have your engine feature mature to make sure everything renders nicely with it. The theoretical advantage of DLSS (not really working out so far) is that TAA quality is quite easy to break or find instances where it doesn't play nice down the line requiring more work whereas in theory DLSS solves that with machine learning).

FXAA is well inside a week to implement.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not months of actual developer time spent on it though - while work on a TAA solution can be spread over months of an engines development it will be the odd day here or there updating the technique as new features are implemented.

These days there is detailed information on the technique and best practises for handling motion vectors, etc. - initial setup for custom TAA takes around a day to implement, then a couple of weeks once you have your engine feature mature to make sure everything renders nicely with it. The theoretical advantage of DLSS (not really working out so far) is that TAA quality is quite easy to break or find instances where it doesn't play nice down the line requiring more work whereas in theory DLSS solves that with machine learning).

FXAA is well inside a week to implement.

Right now Nvidia is probably funding it, but they will only do that while it's a new thing. We'll see months/years from now how many devs are actually bothering with it.

Even after the update it's a long way off. It's smudging the textures and they end up looking flat. Not a good trade-off for some slightly better shadows (even that is debatable), as well as the performance hit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No DLSS is not pointless, it is incredible.

If I were the developer, I would happy to use DLSS which can be implement in just a day rather than months to implement FXAA, TAA, SMAA which waste a lot of money.

Think you'll find it takes longer to add dlss, just look at BFV which was the rtx poster child.

Caporegime
The issue is DLSS is made for people with LOW FPS.. not those with High FPS (who were hoping DLSS would maintain them at 144++).

I can't think of anywhere they said it wouldn't work for High FPS titles at their opening event. They just said it would be faster and higher quality. Neither true.

Wouldn't be the first time they spewed some bs at one of those events. Remember the 1080 launch event? They showed it running at 66c at over 2ghz on the UE demo and said nothing about the fact the core was heavily overclocked and the cooler was screaming like a banshee to keep it at those settings. They just made out like "yeah this is what it runs like out of the box" and didn't spill the beans til a few days later about what was really going on.

Mind you the most irritating part of that entire launch was that girl in the front row who seemed to be near a mic and you could hear her blabbering all over the show.

Soldato
Wouldn't be the first time they spewed some bs at one of those events. Remember the 1080 launch event? They showed it running at 66c at over 2ghz on the UE demo and said nothing about the fact the core was heavily overclocked and the cooler was screaming like a banshee to keep it at those settings. They just made out like "yeah this is what it runs like out of the box" and didn't spill the beans til a few days later about what was really going on.

Mind you the most irritating part of that entire launch was that girl in the front row who seemed to be near a mic and you could hear her blabbering all over the show.

Don't believe anything they say at these events. They have proven more than once they are full of ****.

Soldato
The issue is DLSS is made for people with LOW FPS.. not those with High FPS (who were hoping DLSS would maintain them at 144++).

I can't think of anywhere they said it wouldn't work for High FPS titles at their opening event. They just said it would be faster and higher quality. Neither true.

I went through a bunch of their presentations last week wrt RTX & Turing. What I noticed is they used DLSS 2x a lot in order to up-sell on DLSS' qualities but equivocated between which mode it was they talked about. So people hear DLSS and hear all these wonderful things Nvidia is saying, only that Nvidia is referring to DLSS 2X not the DLSS we actually have. Of course, we now see DLSS 2x doesn't even get a mention anymore so you have to wonder whether they actually plan on releasing it or if it was just a marketing tool to cover their ass legally while boosting DLSS' rep.

Example: Remember this moment when they were bragging about how it improves temporal stability & has fewer artifacts than TAA? They were talking about DLSS 2X not DLSS.

https://i0.wp.com/www.techarp.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-slide-82.jpg?zoom=2&fit=1280,720&ssl=1

Associate
It surprises me that people are shocked the Metro DLSS has improved. That is basically what DLSS is. It’s machine learnering. It learns and improves. People just hate for the sake of hating sometimes.

Associate
People's hate is well justified, the first commercial mass played AAA game it was released for has been a total crapfest.

How so exactly? And in your post you’ve said it all. THE FIRST. First game. FIRST PASS. People are so entitled nowadays...

It’s new tech. There is always a learning curve with these things.

Soldato
It looks a big improvement in screenshots but as we seen with GN's FF15 DLSS video the screenshots dont tell the whole story, lets see game footage not still images.

Associate
It looks a big improvement in screenshots but as we seen with GN's FF15 DLSS video the screenshots dont tell the whole story, lets see game footage not still images.

I’m playing it right now and looks good to me...

Still not perfect but MUCH better and proves how well DLSS is learning! Good enough to want to play with DLSS!

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
First impressions do count for a lot, I mean just look at the Radeon V11 launch reviews, total diaster, but now we know the card can be tamed and good results can be had.
DLSS is no different, just look at the improvement already, in just a short while it has gone from total diaster to 'Ok it can work' who knows how far it will improve from here on in.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I’m playing it right now and looks good to me...

Still not perfect but MUCH better and proves how well DLSS is learning! Good enough to want to play with DLSS!
Lets hope it learns a lot by the time the 3000 series is out and there are more than a handful of games that support it :p

Even more importantly, Jensen needs to learn that he cannot keep increasing prices. the 3080 Ti needs to be priced similar to the 1080 Ti, maybe max £100 more.

Back
Top Bottom