Gaming laptop, MSI GGS75 Stealth,worried I've made a big mistake. *UPDATED*

Associate
Hi fellas, So I was excited for the 2080 series of laptops and went ahead and ordered the GS75 Stealth as I love that design of laptop, I've tried one with the 1070 Maxq and whilst I was impressed I felt I wanted a little more performance.

I've since been looking at benchmarks and it's looking like the 20xx series almost if not has no performance increase what so ever over the 10 series which has me worried, as I've spent £3200 on the GS75 Stealth 2080 MaxQ. I've no real interest in RTX as if I want that I'd use my desktop for that if i chose to upgrade from the 1080ti however I have no plans to in the near future.

My question is should I drop the GS75 stealth with the 2080MaxQ in it and go ahead and buy a 1080 series laptop? I Love the sleak design and thin bezel of the MSI GS laptops so ideally I'd love to stick to that sort of design but I'm not worried about swapping to another brand. I have around £3k budget but a lower price is always better but that's what I'm aiming to spend max. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? I was told by OCUK the 2080MaxQ benches 10% faster than a desktop GTX1080 GPU hence the reason behind ordering the GS75. This here also shows the 2080 MaxQ is quite a significant boost over the 1070MaxQ

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...Nvidia-GTX-1070-Mobile-Max-Q/m704710vsm301524

*UPDATE* So people have been asking me what my opinion on this laptop is, the MSI GS75 2080 Max Q. By no means am I an expert reviewer this is just my take and my opinion on this specific laptop.

Build Quality: First of all, the build quality for the asking price of £3400 with 32GB of ram is just not there for that amount of money, it's a plastic chassis but a very flexible and weak one at that, it does make it lighter however given a drop test I've no doubt in my mind it would easily break the plastic and possible break the system. It flexes beyond my comfort zone of such an expensive device should do. The plastic only has a weak layer of paint which given over the time would wear down. Should you sit it at a desk and never move it, you'll have no problems however you are paying a premium for the weight, thinness and portability, which begs the question, why not just get a desktop for half the price in that case?

Performance: Now the performance is actually very good given the size of the laptop chassis and what they've managed to squeeze into such a small chassis, however from various bench marking and testing it proved a very small upgrade over the 1070 Max Q GS65 STEALTH.

Heaven Benchmark itself only proved to be 400 over the 1070 Max Q and only 200 more than a 1070 MaxP now this isn't an RTX test but testing a non RTX vs an RTX is pointless. The frame rates during the test of Heaven Benchmark were within a range of 10 fps difference, not that big of a deal.

I did try overclocking the 2080 Max Q to achieve the utmost performance I could squeeze out of it but it just wouldn't play ball, I'd get a small OC and run into problems not 10-20 mins into gaming. This would be down to a power limit.

Thermals: CPU Wise, on 100% CPU fan speed (which even with noise cancelling headphones) I could still hear it and it would still thermal throttle even after an underclock down to 3.6ghz and an undervolt of 150mv and -50 on cache. I had to knock it down to 3.2ghz to achieve an under 88 Degrees on games like Apex - World of Warcraft - Anthem - Hitman 2 - Battlefield V. sometimes even with these underclocking and volts it would still go over 91 occassionally. I did notice whilst gaming my left palm would get hot after a 2+ hour gaming session, it did make it uncomfortable sometimes, but with the size and the power, it's to be expected. A hoodie sleeve on my palm negated it.

GPU Wise, never saw it over heat, at 70% fan it wouldn't ever thermal throttle.

Screen: No complaints about the 144hz thin bezel screen, the colours are wonderful, fantastic 3ms response time, aside from the build quality again, it's an impressive screen.

Noise: With cooler boost on it was unbearable, absolutely horrific noise wise, it whined a bit and out right even with headphones on low music playing in the background of games it was still extremely noticeable. Now the problem I personally had was MSI have (not saying this is strictly MSI only) However the BIOS itself would override any settings you put on the dragon center, no matter how quiet I wanted it even when it wasn't under heavy load it would just override them settings I assume to avoid damage, now that in itself sounds good right? Wrong, even when just browsing youtube or the internet it would spike up and down and the fans would go mental to compensate, it wouldn't calm down and settle, if I left it doing nothing at all it would be silent, and even watching a movie for example would spiral the CPU fans to go hectic. GPU Noise levels were more than adequate and not relatively annoying at all.

Up-gradable: The GS75 comes with 3 M.2 slots mine came with 1TB of storage (2 raid 0 512gb drives) and one slot spare for an additional drive, plenty of drive space for a laptop and more adequate than a lot of laptops I have tried. It does not have a 2.5 drive bay however given it has 3 M.2 slots, I'd say that's a fair compromise and it does in fact give the laptop itself more battery life as it's capable of a larger battery.

Unlike it's predecessor the GS65 it is not upside down inside so you can just take the bottom off, and upgrade your drives as you require without needing to take the whole thing apart, you can also access the GPU and CPU fans and thermal paste this way, highly advisable as MSI's paste hasn't been deemed worthy and there are hundreds of posts on various sites showing the thermal drops with higher quality paste.

Battery Life: Extremely better than a few gaming laptops I have tested, however I put this down to no 2.5 bay, and the lack of GSync not draining the battery. I got a little over 5 hours from full to empty watching movies and browsing.

Verdict: Overall would I recommend the GS75? Well that's a 2 part answer. Yes and No.

Yes: The performance is fantastic for such a small thin laptop, it weighs a little over 4.9lbs and is extremely portable, it's got great gaming potential and it played everything I through at it at about 70 fps, including some of the latest titles. It's sleek, beautifully designed, and the fact they packed so much into such a small thin chassis is nothing but impressive.

No: £3,400 - I cannot stress this enough, 3 thousand 4 hundred GBP for this laptop, it's nothing special over any other 2080 gaming laptops currently, it has a much weaker Max Q Variant of the 2080 and even for the thinness it doesn't warrant that price vs performance. The GE75 has a full size 2080 in it and is about an inch thick total.

If you're in the market for a RTX gaming laptop this 2080 Max Q Will not give you the performance you desire with RTX, now yes bare in mine this isn't a desktop and the drivers aren't optimized, however the non Max Q version performs quite a bit better and a much, much lower cost, around £1,000. I have read there will be as much as 15% increase from the 20XX Series with time to optimize drivers better, this is still not enough to net you 60fps stable with RTX on, I did not notice much performance difference between low and ultra on RTX, around 10-12FPS. Battlefield V Would give about 47 FPS average up to 60 with not much going on and not much loaded.

I did not keep mine and I sent mine back for an RMA refund, I instead opted for the Alienware Area 51M with a 2080 and an I9 9900k and a full size 2080 and it worked out cheaper, not much but it was about £200 cheaper. However this will rather heavy and may not be suitable for some, I personally would recommend the GE75 if you want to stay with MSI, you get a full size 2080 - much better thermals, lower noise and it's only about an inch thick with the lid closed.

I stress this is my personal opinion, my review of the GS75 stealth as an avid gamer for 25 years, and an IT Technician for 10 years. If you would require anymore information and would like to ask feel free and I shall give the best answer I can.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 20 series are direct replacements on the laptops, so 2070 replaces 1070, 2080 replaces 1080 and so on, performance increases are not really worth the price, I was looking at a laptop upgrade, the main thing would be a CPU bump more than anything.

Associate
Once the drivers get updated and going forward speculation is that in 6 months or so the RTX laptop cards will start to improve further. One of the other main factors to consider is that the RTX cards run at high performance at a lower temperature than the GTX cards.

I am after the MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8SG which has a mobile RTX 2080 inside rather than the Max-Q variant. Overclockers don't list it yet but it sits between the GS and the GT series and looks ideal for me. The mobile version of the card performs better than the Max-Q variant.

Associate
OP
Yeah I’ve read a few things about the cards drivers not being fully optimised yet and potentially could increase performance by up to 10-15%.

The reason I was learning towards the GS75 is the thin bezel screen and the portability, it’s only 5 pounds in weight, the only downside is it’s £3200 for the same spec 1070 variant only a 2080 max Q instead, so I’m worried that the extra £1500 may not be as big as I’m expecting in an increase, the 1070 MaxQ GS65 I had played most games pretty well though some not so great. My biggest issue was having to turn settings down quite a lot to make use of the 144hz screen.

I’m trying to future proof myself for years to come as I’m moving near London and could do with something with the power that’ll last a long time.

Associate
OP
Linus has a review up:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jjoOzISB8mY&t=0s

Seems a step up from the 10x0 series but that build quality!

I feel their build quality test is excessive, it's a laptop and it'll 90% sit on a desk somewhere, If I drop it I expect something so thin and light to break anyway. Their track pad test was plain daft I'll never push that hard on the laptop, however the trackpad size is a stupid design in itself but it does turn off. I had a Zephyrus M GS501 1070 laptop and that build quality was slightly better but again, I feel as though as it would just break being dropped anyway and that thing weighed a a lot more and the "cooling gimmick" with the bottom lifting up made almost no difference when I was using it, I still had to throttlestop it at 3.2ghz and undervolt it for it to not throttle itself, as such I'd of expected that level of cooling to sustain the i8750H without throttling. With a full 1070 as well the performance on all the games I tested side by side was minimal. Heaven benchmark only being 200 points different, which is why I was seeming to move closer to the MaxQ version for portability. The lack of Gsync really puts me off too.

Perosnally I think the Asus GX701 is ugly as hell and the keyboard layout instantly puts me off. I'm still firm that £3400 for the GS75 is too steep but that performance is pretty damn good, however I'm not seeing an alternative in a 17" that copies the GS's style.

If anyone has any other recommendations that are similar to the GS style I'm happy to change my order to something else, it does seem £3400 is too expensive if I can save quite a bit and redeem the same sort of features and power.

Last edited:
Associate
How important is the thin portability? I'm looking at the MSI GE75 2070 rather than the GS75 because for my gaming laptop portability isn't really very important. Weight wise it's only 0.4kg heavier and just less than 1cm thicker. For me i'd rather get the full 2070 vs a thin 2070MaxQ where my budget is about the £2300 region. When cooling is taken into account the full maxq 2080 only seems to give you about 1-3% more FPS than the full 2070. But the cost premium is high essentially for thinness rather than performance.

For me if portability if isnt an issue i'd go for the GE75 with a 2070 and upgrade the Hdd to a second SSD rather than get the thin MaxQ 2080. That's the decision i've settled on at least for me.

Associate
OP
I’d say that portability is a key feature however what I’d consider not so portable is the really chunky heavy laptops, although still portable too heavy to carry on a motorbike I’d say. The MSI GE75 also comes in a 2080 version as well for a little over 300 more, however I suspect heating may be an issue? I loved the design and how comfortable the GS is but I’m struggling to justify the extra £1000-£1300.

I do know the battery life is good on the GS laptops and the heat on them is quite good once undervolted. The GE75 with a 2080 is a huge competitor for that much of a price difference. Though the heat worries me, and I can’t find any real answers on how much a 2080 will perform better than the MAXQ version.

Also wondering if I could OC the max Q to closer to a 2080 as I know some people on the 1070 MQ got some good and close clocks to the Non MQ as the MQs do run quite cool there’d be some headroom.

Last edited:
Associate
From the benchmarks I've seen generally 2060~2070MaxQ, 2070~2080maxq and 2080 stands out on its own.

Nvidia have pulled a swift one on names for me.

I'm assuming and from what I've seen the ge75 cooling will be better due to added space inside. For me the laptop will sit 99% of the time by the side of the sofa. But if you are carrying it around battery life and size will be important. There are some good reviews and benchmarks of the ge75 2070 on YouTube, give them a look.

It's also worth noting that especially with the 20 chips the chassis seems to have a large effect on performance primarily due to the power (w) they are set to by the supplier. So more than ever before when looking at benches you probably need to see the exact laptop benchmarks not just assume chip X in an MSI will be the same as an Acer or gigabyte chassis

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oh definitely, the 10 series was the same with heat as well, so I always checked the specific laptop rather then assuming all cards will be the same especially on the thinner laptops.

I’ve got the GS75 coming today so I’ll give it a test and see how it goes but the GE75 really seems like the more bang for buck option.

Associate
I would be very interested to hear your view of the GS75 as I was considering this model as a replacement to my old AORUS X7, but after watching the review by Linus I am concerned about the build quality (mainly the flex in the chassis, keyboard rigidity).

Associate
I was looking at these. RTX didn't seem worth the money so I ended up with a GS65 1070 for £1599 (a bit less with a 6.5% gift card discount) which turned out to have a defective display.

The shop had no more stock so I went for the more expensive Razer Blade 15 1070. Cost me about £1580 and has a much better build quality and seemingly lower temps. The mobo isn't upside down so it shouldn't be difficult to upgrade the SSD unlike the GS65.

Associate
OP
* UPDATE* Sorry I've been in the process of moving so I haven't had a chance to get around and write this, I'll update the OP now with my views on the laptop.

Man of Honour
Thanks for your honest opinion. Quite an insight there. I'm not at all surprised about your findings - pretty much on par with some of the reviews I have read. I reckon they've have had to accept quite a few returns...

Speaking of which I have actually had to RMA my GT75 8SF today, unfortunately. The webcam was faulty and the keyboard was a hybrid mix of European and American keys in a most bizarre way. Almost as if Stevie Wonder had put the keys on himself.. I absolutely loved it apart from those issues. In terms of value for money and performance it was superb, and it was quiet to boot, even under relative load. But then it wasn't a thin and light. To be honest, I can't see the thin and light chassis being more than a fad - you just can't compromise.

Soldato
Going from my 17" MSI to a 15" slim Aorus (usually you'd get a MAX-Q in this) I think MSI have good cooling in the thicker laptops, really quiet even when overclocked. Slim laptops are loud beasts that can only be tamed with re-paste, undervolt and throttling.

Back
Top Bottom