Samsung Galaxy Fold - First foldable screen smartphone from Samsung

Soldato
What's the point

As mentioned, a bigger screen but pocket sized

Id have one but not for that price when I could have a decent laptop/ iPad (pro) and a phone for similar money

Saying that I’m still using my 4yr old note 4 and have no real plans on changing it as there’s nothing worth upgrading to

Soldato
Wow, what phone do you have at the moment?! I assume a Nokia 3310.

I never had a "Smart Phone" until a couple of months ago.

I always managed to kill my previous ones within a year or so, despite being them supposedly rugardised versions, so I never really considered the idea of an expensive smart phone being a viable one.

Now I have moved to retirement, I have pushed the boat out and got an S40 CAT phone.

Good points-I haven't managed to break it yet. And it was (Relatively) cheap, and it does have some nice features that before I got it I hadn't really appreciated the usefulness of. :p

Bad points-I haven't managed to figure out how it works yet (I am a "Real Man" and consider the idea of actually reading the bloody instructions as an affront to my masculinity! :D )

Also, There is loads of stuff going on that I haven't managed to figure out how to stop!

Why, For instance, am I getting ******* updates and headline news alerts from the Guardian????

Also, I seem to have to spend for ever charging the damn thing up! My old phones I would charge up once a fortnight or so. This needs it every three days and it takes an age each time. Is this normal?

hey, ho.

The idea of actually spending more than I have ever spent on a car on an essentially (in my experience) disposable item of pocket electronics simply boggles my mind!

Really it does!

:eek:

Soldato
Its the first in its generation.
Let others test it till it has gone through many generations.
Think of the tablets/phones in Westworld.

Associate
Ridiculous price for a phone, but that's the way it is for new tech. I gave up wanting the latest and greatest years ago. I have a smartphone alas I always haggle at renewal time to get one that'll cost me less than £20 a month.

Soldato
If the front screen was full size and it had a built in note type stylus I would have been interested

But the fear off dropping it and smashing it would have been frightening

Soldato
Remember the hate aimed at Apple when the iPhone X hit £1,000? There should be double the hate and ridicule for this but I bet there won’t be.

It doesn't aim to be a phone that sells in volumes. It is a proof of concept, hence the silly price. It doesn't appeal to that many people either.

The S10 and Note 10 are the flagship phones.

The Iphone X was a flagship phone.

Soldato
Remember the hate aimed at Apple when the iPhone X hit £1,000? There should be double the hate and ridicule for this but I bet there won’t be.
But that was also very different due the apple X mobile phone was behind on tech or only had the same tech compared to Samsung mobile phones and other mobile phones and bought nothing new to the market

Soldato
My Nokia 6 was £100 over a year a go and I'm typing this message on it right now so you can probably guess my stance on paying that kind of money for a phone and no it's not because I'm cheap it's because I just dont see the point

Soldato
My Nokia 6 was £100 over a year a go and I'm typing this message on it right now so you can probably guess my stance on paying that kind of money for a phone and no it's not because I'm cheap it's because I just dont see the point

Yer but with a top of the range smart phone you could do that whilst looking really smug

Caporegime
Yeah and a Nissan Micra does essentially the same job as a Lamborghini Huracán (whatever that is i had to google it)
but there are morons that will die for a "flash" car.

Being into posh phones is actually a cheaper, smarter choice to waste your money :p

Caporegime
So close to £2k which is about the same price of the Samsung foldable hope that was shown a few days ago.

Love the tech and give it a few yrs and they will be better and hopefully cheaper.

But the only people who would buy these phones are the ones who have that much disposable money to not care that the first gen won’t be that great.

Caporegime
Innovation practically ended in 2015, they’re really isn’t any reason to buy a new phone unless it breaks nowadays.

The only way foldable phones will be useful is if it’s photonics based or if the screen can repair itself with nanometer bezels. It’s ******* useless trash otherwise.

Soldato
You're comparing apples (lol) with oranges. There was nothing unique or new about the iPhone X, it was just yet another incremental mundane generic smartphone update.

Don't worry though, I'm sure Apple will 'invent' this kind of device next year so you'll be able to buy one for £4000 and it will be revolutionary and the best thing EVER!

Back
Top Bottom