Bohemian Rhapsody

Man of Honour
4 Oscars out of 5 nominations isn't bad.
Best editing, best sound editing, best sound mixing and best actor.

Came out with the most Oscars of all the winners too.

Don
I don't think it would have worked cutting between vintage footage of the real thing and the dramatised bits with the likes of the other characters at the side of the stage, plus there would be limited angles and shots available.

Soldato
Shame about the rest of the film, the timeline and mistakes are shocking.
I have watched it four times though.

Yeah it was a bit weird that that particular scene was so accurate but then the rest of the film was apparently littered with inaccuracies - but it didn't really affect my viewing because I wasn't aware it was wrong at the time!

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Not just littered with inaccuracies though - practically none of it happened as shown on screen.
It wasn't how they met and formed Queen, Freddie knew everyone in Smile (including their first vocalist) for over a year before becoming band member. Smile played along Freddies band Ibex on several occasions and Mercury and May flat-shared together for months before him joining Smile/forming Queen. Just ask SexyGreyFox, he was there on the night with his band (sorry, totally uncalled for but couldn't resist ;) )
Freddie and Mary didn't meet on the same night/Smile concert. He knew Mary long before since Mary was his flatmate's (yes - Brian May's) girlfriend when they met. John Deacon wasn't partaking in Queen's first concert, he didn't join the band until late 1971. Their first manager was never fired, he moved on to a different position in the industry. It wasn't how they wrote most of the hit songs shown and almost all songs in the movie are written, premiered or performed live in a wrong year. The Austin Powers frowning EMI executive never existed in real life, and the guy they actually had as a contact exec at EMI was crazy about the band. The band never split up, all members had solo careers before Freddie's endeavours and they didn't enter Live Aid from a long estranged hiatus. They jumped on stage after returning from a ten month world tour promoting album The Works (Radio Ga Ga, It's a Hard Life, I Want to Break Free, Hammer To Fall - that album). The tour ended 7 weeks before Live Aid and included two nights at Rock In Rio (which in the movie happens in 70ies, and which Mary somehow watches on TV back in UK). They kicked bottoms at Live Aid because they trialed the set by fire for months plus they rehearsed few hours a day for weeks before the show. The phones at Live Aid weren't silent until Queen played, Queen was number n-teeth in a long run of absolute superb sets before them, including Sting with Phil Collins, Brian Ferry with David Gilmour, plus U2 and Dire Straits directly in a queue before them. Freddy didn't fall for his ex man-servant, Jim was a hairdresser and they met at a club. A week before courting Jim, Freddie was still dating some Austrian actress (she's actually in the "It's a Hard Life" video). Because his sexuality wasn't that black and white. And of course that's not how and when the whole HIV thing.

In tldr; - there was a Mary, there was a band, they played at Live Aid and there were Pepsi cups on the piano - that's about as much as is correct in that movie. :D

Soldato
I have to admit Im a huge Queen fan (late 70's to late 80's at least) but I really didn't like the film. Mr Robot did a good portrayal of Freddie, but even from the first shot of his back it looked similar...ish but that's about it, I guess the film was always going to happen at some point, but to me it wasn't Oscar worthy at all

Back
Top Bottom