Dirt Rally 2.0

Soldato
So after a weekend with Dirt Rally 2.0, what are people's thoughts?

I'm enjoying the game overall, it has the same appeal as Rally 1 that makes me drive a stage multiple times improving my times and still having a lot of fun. Driving is much better than in 4, feels like an improved Rally and not something that's hard just for the sake of being hard. Tarnac is too grippy, though.

I like having my personal best clearly displayed, the menus and other QoL updates. Graphics are much better as well.

I like the locations and stages, rallycross looks fun but I haven't tried it yet.

My only criticism so far is the lack of unique stages unfortunately and no snow rally in the base game. This game should be properly expanded via DLC instead if releasing Rally 3.0 in two years and it'd be perfect. It's lacking some iconic locations, some of which we have to pay for to get back with the exact same stages. I wish they could get the full WRC license. They just swapped six locations for different six locations with a similar amount of stages.

I also hope they'll let us pick weather/time of day freely in time trial.

Soldato
I asked them :

"Are you playing on controller or wheel ? And if its a steering wheel, which one ?"

However i do recommend the game now ive found my preferred FFB settings, although not perfect it makes the game 100x better for me.

Some of the subtle details graphics wise are staggering, and the sound stage is top notch. There isnt a lot of content mind.

Caporegime
OP
2 confirmed dlc packages and maybe more yet who knows. there is plenty to play and coming.

just finished playing about in the renault alpine. on wet muddy gravel its just a joy to drive. you have to grab it by the scruff of the neck but its very well balanced and eats the other cars in its class alive. :D

Associate
I asked them :

"Are you playing on controller or wheel ? And if its a steering wheel, which one ?"

Yes, but if you read their posts carefully, neither of them appear to own the game

So after a weekend with Dirt Rally 2.0, what are people's thoughts?

Reads to me like - I dont own the game so i would like some feedback from those who have been playing over the weekend.

Would be interested to know this also, had my finger hovering waver the buy button but there’s just something holding me back like the lack of content for the price.

This guy definitely doesn't own the game as he has hovered over the Buy button all weekend.

Again, correct me if im wrong.

Associate
Haha, ok, pretty sure their posts hint at the fact they do not have it?? That's how i read them anyway, feel free to correct me if im wrong....

I have a G25 wheel with the VPP Pedalset Pro 3. I loved Richard Burns back in the day, and I have 80 hours on Dirt Rally 1.0 - as well as 300 hours on Assetto Corsa.

I didn't dive straight in because I was disappointed with Dirt 4, and I really want this to be good. :)

Soldato
Well. IMO

Had you asked me on Friday morning what i thought i would have said absolutely no way because of the FFB issues I was having (T300 GTE) and a lot of other people. Now, since ive managed to tweak the FFB somewhat im reletively happy with how it feels, personally it isnt as advanced as DR1 was but still. I have a guide on steam which has fixed / tweaked some FFB issues : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1663123655

Graphically i find it quite stunning tbh, some of the reflections and subtle graphics are very very nice indeed. And the speed sensation is superb.

I do honestly think the physics are vastly improved from DR1 and of course DIRT4, the cars definately feel weightier and you really have to balance the throttle carefully with some cars.

Sound wise i find it very very good as well, usual great engine noises, some excellent echo effects when rolling through hills or through towns.

I find the content a bit lacking if im honest and i feel that the career aspect could be improved, it all feels a bit disjointed, but im enjoying it.

If you have a wheel, i would say look at my guide, take your time and tweak the settings until you are happy, after spending all weekend fannying around im enjoying it, but my god its takes hours to get it to feel right for me.

Soldato
But... here is my personal caveat (copied from somewhere else i wrote it)

The XML file along with the values inside is very very similar to DIRT4. I feel its been pretty much copy and pasted from DIRT4
I do not think (correct me codemasters) that the current state of code for Dirt Rally 2.0 FFB is complex enough to work out anything other than what it currently does. I would assume that to increase or bring in any other forms off FFB sensation it would require a large amount of re writing and a good amount of testing too, something i am sure they would not want to do or have time to do. I imagine that what they will do is check the current lines in the XML file and add the relevant values in a similar fashion to my guide above. And from that point on i cant see any FFB improvements other than increasing the current strength. This might well be utter ********, but its what im thinking tbh.

Associate
Visuals do look good, but, im not sure I like the handling of the cars as much as I did in dirt, well not using a pad anyway, I don't seem to be able to get the cars sideways as easy round the corners and suffer much more understeer.

Will try with my wheel when I dig it back out the cupboard before I fully make my mind up, it does look very pretty though

Associate
well it turns out that this game is missing the xml files for the DFGT wheel and the profile itself is set at unofficial. which is why it gets detected but loads a blank default mapping profile for the wheel.
I created an xml file for the button layout based on the DIRT 4 xml file and then used some of Cobras FFB setting so that the car didn't feel like it was floating on air.
The game is playable now and I can navigate the menus with the wheel. maybe the wheel will get official support with an update who knows.

Associate
Received some compensation credits tonight for the issues with racenet at the weekend. They didn't effect me but a nice gesture from CM.

Soldato
Just installed game competing in DR2.0 freeplay as my arms still painfull but slowly getting better, to get my groove back thats if l ever had one.

Wheel T500 installed ok with latest drivers but still needs fine tuning, using a Samsung 55"Curved TV 60Hrtz at 1440p graphics are good, GPU FPS is locked at 75Hrtz.

Enjoying the game so far l'll give it a week or so before l make my mind up.

Back
Top Bottom