Cheap used runabout.

Soldato
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has ever driven a hyundai i10 <2011 or a suzuki alto 2009 onwards model?

Looking for a cheap run about for my job? I was sold on the i10 but hearing that the alto is much much better on fuel but that it is more cheaply built.

Has anyone driven either of these cars? Taken on motorway for example? I would be doing the odd motorway trip but 80% driving is local, congested London driving.

Cheers, Mart

Soldato
I've driven an i10 and it was diabolical. I haven't driven an Alto but I can't imagine it'll be much better. Go a class up and look at something like a Fiesta or a Yaris.

Soldato
OP
I've driven an i10 and it was diabolical. I haven't driven an Alto but I can't imagine it'll be much better. Go a class up and look at something like a Fiesta or a Yaris.

Thanks mate, do you mind elaborating on that at all? Regarding the i10.

Bear in mind, I've never driven anything more powerful than a 3 cylinder 69bhp. Currently driving a Daihatsu Sirion but giving to my mum so looking for something similair in size, economy etc

Yaris is a good option but they seem to be a little out of my price at the moment, only have about 1500 to spend and most yaris around that price are super high mileage.

Associate
Currently have an I 10(2013), it's not diabolical. Done over 25,000 miles in it up to yet and whilst not being exactly a fantastic drive its perfectly adequate. Use it for a combination of town and motorway driving, cabin noise is probably the worst thing about it.

Soldato
What's your job? Do you need to carry more than a pen to do it? Had an I10 as a "courtesy" car, and apart from being cramped, noisy and as powerful as a dead granny, the boot was barely big enough to fit 2 carrier bags full of shopping into. Horrible things

Associate
What's your job? Do you need to carry more than a pen to do it? Had an I10 as a "courtesy" car, and apart from being cramped, noisy and as powerful as a dead granny, the boot was barely big enough to fit 2 carrier bags full of shopping into. Horrible things
I carry one pen to and fro, office to office. It has a 1.2 litre engine in a compact car, it does OK, not bad on the old juice either. Even had 4 people in it at once, I know shock horror!. Can fit two medium size suitcases in the boot and the back seats fold down too ☺️.

Soldato
OP

I'm a district nurse so during the week it will be mainly medical supplies, it rarely has more than 2 people in it, just me and my girlfriend for the occasional road trip. I think I'm gonna go see one today. I'm not too fussed about road noise or lack of power, I've done London to Cornwall 3 times and London to Lake District and back in a 65bhp POS, so anything would be an upgrade right now.

Soldato
I've driven a Kia Picanto a couple of times, i believe they're pretty much the same car underneath.

I really didn't like it at all, it felt very cheap inside and it had really really soft soggy suspension which made it handle terribly combined with the annoyingly harsh engine with no power made for a bad time.

I then got back in to my 2002 Yaris with 120k on the clock and it felt like a Bentley in comparison, cars like the i10 are cheap but that's all they've got going for them. For £1500 i'd still be looking at a Yaris personally.

Associate
I drove an I10 about 3 years ago and it was fine for a city runabout tbh.

Not gonna set the world on fire but that isn't what you're buying it for.

100% agree with this

My OH has an i10 and I've driven it a lot and sometimes quite some distance
I think it's absolutely fine apart from 1 thing...it's the 1.2l and it's hideously underpowered when going up anything approaching a more than minor incline - I often find myself changing down as far as second

One other feature she's noticed - she gets badly bullied by other drivers. When she takes my car that doesn't happen

Associate
Strangely I have just purchased my hyundai i10 as a little run around. Had it about 6 weeks.
Returns about 54mpg combined with urban / A ROAD driving.

£30 road tax for the year. About £30 fills the tank up which is about 27 litres. Mine I get anything from 295 to 325 miles per tank.
Yes it's gutless in terms of power, but it gets me to and from with little hassle. I didn't buy it to set the world on fire. That's for the weekend toy.

I'll be honest it's a great little car.

My weekend toy is my Nissan GTR 35 with 682bhp 613 torque.

Back
Top Bottom