Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ocean Blue 512GB Dual Sim

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Midnight Black 512GB Dual Sim

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Hi All,

I've just become a very happy owner of a Note 9 8GB 512gb, picked up a really good deal on eBay on a new imported headset dual SIM, in the end cost £729 as eBay are also running a 10% discount on tech until the 24th. Took one day for delivery and no different to buying it in the UK shops, setup was identical and in ENglish with UK power supply.

Must say I'm blown away with how good it is, I owned the original Note. Since then I went off Samsung years back and have always owned Pixels and managed to convince myself there is nothing better for the Android experience.

Had my Pixel 2XL and then swapped to a Pixel 3XL, apart from the camera and software updates the 3XL hardware isn't great. I had a lot of lag (Google Pay, opening camera, app shutting etc) and and very distorted speakers.

Tried the Mate 20 Pro which was hands down better then the Pixel apart from the camera which was questionable and their fingerprint sensor which is naff, performance and battery were amazing in comparison. I hid EMUI with Action Launcher so it wasn't an issue.

I was waiting for the S10 Plus and started reading reviews of the Note 9. Saw the deals available on eBay and took the plunge, arrived this morning and set it up and I'm amazed how great it is.

Screen is a lot brighter then the Pixel and there is no horrid notch, performance is really really good along and loving the s-Pen.

Also been playing with the camera, the Pixel is better but not by much, with the Mate 20 Pro I would get blurred and really muted colours often. So far with the Note 9 camera I'm happy, also 40K 60fps on video is a great feature.

Size wise it's almost the same dimensions as my 3XL, slightly taller and that's it.

You also can't beat a good old fashioned finger print sensor, it will be good to see how good the new ultrasonic ones are on the S10 as the optical ones on the Mate 20 Pro are very unreliable making me wonder what the point was for changing.

Speakers blow away the Mate 20 Pro USB port one and the Pixel 3XL which get bad distortion and is also poor used hands free through the speaker.

Only annoying thing as everywhere has mentioned has been the Bixby button, I have read that on the S10 they allow you to program to anything, hopefully this will filter down as it's software only.

I think I have got lucky with the release of Pie on the Note 9, I use Action Launcher on top but the general Samsung build of Pie has some great features not on the base version by Google. Only things I'm missing is the scheduled night mode, grey scale and do not disturb.

In conclusion, I think even after a days use this is the most well rounded phone I have ever owned.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
https://www.sammobile.com/2019/02/2...y-remapping-coming-to-older-galaxy-flagships/

Samsung had a lot to show off about the Galaxy S10 at the official launch, but it naturally left out of the smaller things. You know, like how the Galaxy S10’s Bixby key can be remapped to launch any app the user wants. And if you have been wondering if the remapping feature will come to your current Galaxy flagship, then you’ll be happy to hear that it will.

Samsung has confirmed that Bixby key remapping will come to older flagships like the Galaxy S8, Galaxy S9, and Galaxy Note 9 through a software update.

Will make a nice camera button

Soldato
https://www.sammobile.com/2019/02/2...y-remapping-coming-to-older-galaxy-flagships/

Samsung had a lot to show off about the Galaxy S10 at the official launch, but it naturally left out of the smaller things. You know, like how the Galaxy S10’s Bixby key can be remapped to launch any app the user wants. And if you have been wondering if the remapping feature will come to your current Galaxy flagship, then you’ll be happy to hear that it will.

Samsung has confirmed that Bixby key remapping will come to older flagships like the Galaxy S8, Galaxy S9, and Galaxy Note 9 through a software update.

Will make a nice camera button

You've been able to use apps to do it for ages, I have mine set to start google assistant.

Soldato
Might have to take back my initial concerns around battery life.

As I'm only charging when it reaches 20% back up to 80%, I'm averaging around 5.5 hours of screen time.

So I'm only ever using 50% of the battery capacity. Happy with that as it easily gets me through a day. Suspect if I I ever need the extra screen on time in a day I can charge to 100% and easily get 8-9 hours.

Soldato
Might have to take back my initial concerns around battery life.

As I'm only charging when it reaches 20% back up to 80%, I'm averaging around 5.5 hours of screen time.

So I'm only ever using 50% of the battery capacity. Happy with that as it easily gets me through a day. Suspect if I I ever need the extra screen on time in a day I can charge to 100% and easily get 8-9 hours.
Why would you even do that to the battery?

Soldato
With a proper new lithium ion battery it really doesn't matter. Battery conditioning is nonsense.. it's like thousands of uses before anything bad happens.

Life is way way too short to be worrying about that sort of thing.

Associate
I think the phone needed time to adjust to the usage of the user after the Pie update that's all, people need to give it time.
I think it's around the same as Oreo maybe slightly better.
Most weekends I can take it off charge around 7am on Friday and still have over 20% left before charging it again the following Monday morning, that with around 4 hours of on screen time....

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...everyones-battery-holding-up.html#post6475584

Soldato
Read it's the optimum range for battery health.

I plan on keeping this phone for 2+ years.

If I didn't, then I'd just whack it on the fast charge to 100% everytime and not worry about it.

Honestly, whacking it on fast charge everytime is not going to degrade the battery over 2 years any more significantly than your 20-80% method.

Soldato
OP
Rumors start

https://www.sammobile.com/2019/02/25/exclusive-note-10-four-cameras-back/

Samsung’s ‘Note 10’ could feature a quad camera system

The new device that Samsung has in the pipeline bears model number SM-N975F. We hear that it’s going to have four cameras at the back. This would make it Samsung’s second flagship of the year with a quad camera system. The first is obviously the Galaxy S10 5G.

Associate
I won't be getting a Note 10 if it's anything like the S10 range with a cutout in the screen for the camera, I hate the look of screens with cutouts, they just look odd.

I'm happy with the Note 9 for a couple of years as I usually change once every 2 years.

Caporegime
Doesn't the S10 family use the previous generations' camera sensor albeit tweaked/upgraded?

They are going to have to really pull something out of the bag to make it a worthwhile jump.

Soldato
If it's getting the quad camera system and 5G as standard then that might really push the price up, unless they also offer a 4G version.

Back
Top Bottom