Bioware's Anthem

Associate
One thing I don't like is that in the pre-release videos they showed loads of footage of Javelins hovering there in mid-air, raining down the hurt on enemies. Whereas the reality is that you can only hover for a few seconds before your engines overhear. Same for flying too, the engines overheat far too quickly.

Still possible with the Storm and other Javs later game when you have the overheat mods etc.

In terms of the game itself, plenty of technical problems that will get solved in the coming weeks.

Imo the game itself is fine, typical looter shooter that's fun till the real late game grind begins.
I see a lot of people praising destiny and the division yet... Both those games got panned on initial releases also. It took time to build them up this will be no different (assuming EA don't just can it but I think there's too much investment into it now)

Soldato
typical looter shooter

It's not though. Usually in most looter shooters you can make use of any loot that drops straight away, like if a gun with better stats than the one you currently have equipped drops you can swap it out and just carry on. For some bizarre reason, in Anthem you can't even see what loot has dropped until the end of the mission let alone use it to better your stats during the mission.

Associate
For a lot of people (and not necessarily the poster above!) it works like this:

Initially they pre-ordered the game - psychologically that is you saying "I believe that this game will be good and worth putting my money down before even reviews are out"... That's initially a huge bit of pressure to like the game - if it comes out and you admit that it's rubbish, that is effectively you admitting to being an idiot for stupidly thinking it would be anything else...

So you give the game a chance, maybe you put in a few 10s of hours... well now you really can't admit that the game is trash because not only have you staked your money against it, you've now given up your time and invested yourself into the experience. But you're not a total moron are you? No of course you're not, you're someone with great taste and an eye for quality games - therefore this game must have been worthwhile, right?

If you get really invested then you end up feeling compelled to defend it in threads on forums etc. as well, sometimes almost aggressively, because everyone being critical of the game actually feels like they are attacking you (because they're saying that only a total fool would have invested in or believed in this heap of a game)

It's not helped by the fact that all the big developers know that this is a thing and design all the game systems around creating this investment as quickly as possible (it's why you earn so much more lootboxes etc. at lower levels)

Yeah Star Citizen being the ultimate in this. Anthem however despite lacking in a lot of areas is however, a game.

Soldato
Gotta say, now I've got the Colossus armour I'm liking the game a quite a bit more. Only Lv.8 but it feels great just stomping around, soaking up the damage and obliterating everything.

Soldato
Gotta say, now I've got the Colossus armour I'm liking the game a quite a bit more. Only Lv.8 but it feels great just stomping around, soaking up the damage and obliterating everything.

Thats the one armour suit i hate but seen a lot of good players doing epic stuff with it :)

Associate
This game really reminds me of wing commander and diablo 3. Wing commander where you would fiddle and choose Ur load out before the next mission. Diablo as the different colours loot give you such joy.

The game runs well and I am able to watch Netflix and Amazon prime videos at the same time playing.

I normally watch documentaries that you don't need your eyes on the screen at all time.

But really enjoying the shooting. When you are time limited it's what counts.

Associate
So are we going to make a OC Anthem group so that we play when we are online? Right now everything I done is pugging. Also did freeplay and took a Titan out on my own (got my first PURPLE drop), other people were doing.... stuff... level 20 at the moment.
Ranger/Colossus/Storm (order of unlock)

OriginID: GixxerDrei

P.S. Trying to find people to do the Titan kills.

Last edited:
Associate
Tbh seeing that this took 6 years to make, It makes me think that Star Citizen would need another 20 or so years to come out to be any good, 6 years is just not enough time it seems even for a basic looter shooter never mind on the scale of SC

Associate
So are we going to make a OC Anthem group so that we play when we are online? Right now everything I done is pugging. Also did freeplay and took a Titan out on my own (got my first PURPLE drop), other people were doing.... stuff... level 20 at the moment.
Ranger/Colossus/Storm (order of unlock)

GixxerDrei

Sure mate pm me your origin username and I will add you.

Soldato
Quick shot of my Storm Javelin inspired by Superman. Probably not the finished article as was just messing about. Still on the 10hr trial and got about 7hrs left I think. We'll see if I do take the plunge to buy the game fully.

e0re48v4qsi21.png

Soldato
Do these graphics look right? All the screenshots and videos I've seen have the javelins looking nice and crisp with well detailed visuals, yet mine looks very flat and dull like this.

0aBrbGS.jpg

Everything is on Ultra bar Chromatic Aberation and Motion Blur which are both turned off.

Soldato
Boost your gamma?

Pushing the gamma further just makes it look too bright and washed out. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the bug that I, and quite a few others, are experiencing whereby the game keeps setting itself to 1280x720 every time it's started, so I have to manually select 1920x1080 (my native res.) every time I start it up. The weird thing is, the game looks no different when I select 1920x1080 than it does when it starts in 1280x720.

Back
Top Bottom