Golf Thread

Soldato
Officially just bought my first senior clubs today, the MacGregor DCT2000 set. Plenty good enough for me to relearn and get my eye in again. Been years since I last did anything except play around on the range as I did earlier on today. Thankfully wasn't too rusty either. Have numerous mates who already play and have been bugged a few times before, and today, I finally gave in. :)

Now just need some new polos, pants, shoes, glove, tees, balls, a hat, pitch repairer, marker, waterproof cover, umbrella.... :p

Soldato
Officially just bought my first senior clubs today, the MacGregor DCT2000 set. Plenty good enough for me to relearn and get my eye in again. Been years since I last did anything except play around on the range as I did earlier on today. Thankfully wasn't too rusty either. Have numerous mates who already play and have been bugged a few times before, and today, I finally gave in. :)

Now just need some new polos, pants, shoes, glove, tees, balls, a hat, pitch repairer, marker, waterproof cover, umbrella.... :p

At least all the other bits can be had quite cheap if brands are not to important.
I scored 105 on Monday which was good for me. little annoyed as i got a 9 and an 8 on the last 9. should have got my first score under 100. Come down nicely since the 130/140s i was getting when i first started to play in August.

Going to test the Titleist AP1s out today :)
Got some second hand golf balls of facebook so just waiting for them to turn up, doubt there will be much difference in the Srixon Distance balls and my cheapo slazenger balls i currently use.

Associate
Looking to start lessons again in the next couple of weeks, I'd like to try and get my game into a better place before the nicer weather arrives and the days start getting longer!

I'm aiming to break 100 at a few of the local courses I play this year.

Soldato
Play through the winter.. courses are quieter and the conditions whilst not great are not to bad.
I play at Ulverston which is about 15-20 minutes away from me.
Played Carus Green a week or so back and should be playing windermere soon.

Just checked my spreadsheet of score cards for ulverston and i've played 14 rounds since the 27th of August.

Soldato
Already had a couple sessions at the driving range with mates. Always been okay hitting wedges and irons, but starting to get a feel with the hybrids, woods and the driver. When I hit it sweet with the 3 wood, I get past the final hole at the 240 yard mark, so it looks like I just need to practice my swings to find consistency. Maybe some lessons are in order. :)

Soldato
As the above post, has anyone here had any lessons? What did they find good or bad etc. Only one person I know has done it and they've talked about it. Not sure who they had would be any use for me as they simply went overboard with their technology and comparing you with the pro's.. :rolleyes:

Associate
It all depends on the pro you get doing the lessons so it’s hard to say if you would benefit but have a look as I’m sure there is some courses that offer some introduction to golf sessions and they are not to expensive.

One thing I can recommend is gloves you can’t go wrong with Footjoy weathersof, American golf sell a pack of 2 for £14.99 .

Commissario
As the above post, has anyone here had any lessons? What did they find good or bad etc. Only one person I know has done it and they've talked about it. Not sure who they had would be any use for me as they simply went overboard with their technology and comparing you with the pro's.. :rolleyes:
I had a lesson last Sunday with a guy I was at school with, we worked a lot on my posture and set up. Had an hour and only hit 40 balls or so as we were going over the corrected set up and body position each time, definitely got a lot out of it and the only tech he used was filming me on his phone and showing bits that we were working on.

Soldato
I had a lesson last Sunday with a guy I was at school with, we worked a lot on my posture and set up. Had an hour and only hit 40 balls or so as we were going over the corrected set up and body position each time, definitely got a lot out of it and the only tech he used was filming me on his phone and showing bits that we were working on.

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I find my posture is great for long clubs, but poor with the short. Still haven't got round to looking again... :)

Soldato
I've had a few lessons over the years but the best way to learn is to play and to play with better players than you. Watch how they get round the course, what shots they hit and how they get out of trouble.

Get a repeatable swing from working on the range and then really practice your short game. If your repeatable swing is awful, lessons may be the only answer but I've seen plenty of terrible swings working perfectly happily on the course.

We can't all swing like pros.

Commissario
There's quite a few reasonable courses around here, have you played Hazelmere before? Lots of variation.
Can't say I have, but yeh there is a lot around Herts. I only mentioned those 2 as they're literally on my doorstep, Little Hay has a good driving range too.

Soldato
Going to have a go with a ping crossover this week, might see if its more consistant than my driver.
Tried the following today :
Ping g400 Crossover 3 in stiff and reg
Ping g410 19 hybrid in reg
Titliest tmb 3 iron in stiff
Titliest h818in reg
Callaway rogue 19 hybrid

Being new to golf my swing is changing and not the fastest but I found the ping g400 Crossover in stiff to be far the best option went straight, the longest and a nice flight so grabbed that =) stiff shaft worked better for me the most disappointing with titliest options, the tmb I thought I'd struggle with as it's intended for mid handicappers and I did struggle to hit it sweetly. The hybrid was just not very good sounded crap and didn't go far.
Rogue was nice but didn't feel outstanding at any bit
Ping g410 was really good but the launch angle wasn't as high and the distance on average was about 10 yards less than the Crossover and price wise there's a big chunk in it. On average the ping Crossover was around 190yards which is around my driving distance with my cobra driver but this doesn't slice off like my driver. My driver may get left behind until I'm better at golf. (and richer haha

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone spec me a golf bag? I've never bought one, only ever had hand-downs from my Dad.

I'm after a stand bag, one that's decently substantial with good pockets. Mainly after something that will last a while and be comfortable to carry. Budget up to £140. Semi-fussed that it's a good brand :D

Associate
Can anyone spec me a golf bag? I've never bought one, only ever had hand-downs from my Dad.

I'm after a stand bag, one that's decently substantial with good pockets. Mainly after something that will last a while and be comfortable to carry. Budget up to £140. Semi-fussed that it's a good brand :D

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/best-golf-deals/best-golf-stand-bags-2019-74025

Might be of a little bit of help.

The only thing I can add of any value is I've always trusted Sun Mountain. Not cheap, but last forever, and tick the majority of accessible pockets/light-weight yet functional requirements of a stand bag.

Back
Top Bottom