People who go and sit in their car to eat their luncheon at work

Man of Honour
I've done this before. Listen to the radio and avoid sloshing eating noises. All good.

You can't think of why a colleague might not want to talk to you whilst on lunch? maybe you aren't as interesting as you think you are? or maybe they just want a quiet sandwich. really isn't difficult to understand at all:p

My colleagues are mint, we all enjoy each others company, at lunch or otherwise. I am pretty great though. Solitary lunch in the confides of a car however, I can't think of anything more depressing. Personally I like a nice ambience if eating on my own for lunch, so eat out, or have it with company.

Associate
I used to do it when I was 20/21 working in a call centre. Hated all my colleagues who were all old woman or young girls who would all sit in a circle jerk and talk about last night's episode of EastEnders. That 45 minute's in car kept me sane.
I made friends with a dude that sat in his car next to mine :p

Soldato
My colleagues are mint, we all enjoy each others company, at lunch or otherwise. I am pretty great though. Solitary lunch in the confides of a car however, I can't think of anything more depressing. Personally I like a nice ambience if eating on my own for lunch, so eat out, or have it with company.

ah, you're 'that' guy:p

Permabanned
Nothing wrong with that, some people just want to get away from their colleagues and for some the car is probably a safe space where they can relax, personally I just pop in my headphones go for a walk, I clock around 15,000 steps a day.

I like my colleagues but I spend enough time with them as it is, the occasional group lunch is fine but otherwise, leave me alone when I'm on lunch. :D

Soldato
I used to do this on my weekend on all shifts. If I had lunch on the ward staffroom it would be too hard to tell the nurses to do one. Again if I get a bleep in the canteen/mess then they'd see where I'm calling from on the internal phones and expect me to drop everything and stop my lunch to do some minor pointless task they thought was urgent!

Soldato
I used to do this on my weekend on all shifts. If I had lunch on the ward staffroom it would be too hard to tell the nurses to do one. Again if I get a bleep in the canteen/mess then they'd see where I'm calling from on the internal phones and expect me to drop everything and stop my lunch to do some minor pointless task they thought was urgent!

maybe you should be more great like @mrk and spring in to action if someone needs you?:p

Caporegime
I make a point to leave my desk for lunch because it’s a change of scenary, don’t get hassled if you are not there. I think it’s good for me mentally even if just go out for a walk to get some fresh air.

I guess some people just want to do the same but don’t want to walk and rather sit somewhere private. I see a couple of woman at work who does that.

Man of Honour
I’ve done this in the past when needed some peace and quiet from work, but not regularly. The place I’m at now is surrounded by woods and a lake so it’s much nicer to walk around that now :)

Soldato
"Hey could you.... ah I'll come back if you're eating your lunch" <stands there looking for you to say it's fine>

"I really need something and it's really quick"

<phone rings> <coworkers phone rings> "yeah he's at his desk..." <desk phone rings again>

"Hey did you get that thing finished"

I work in an environment that has zero respect for your personal time. Granted we do have a huge canteen but no one I know uses it, plus lunchtime I can get chores accomplished if I feel like it or just call mates and talk freely.
Exactly this.

Sometimes finding literally anywhere that isn't your desk is the only peace a guy can get while trying to eat.

So far we've got that they are:
- getting boozed up
- getting high
- having a tug
And then a quick nap after.

Sounds like one hell of a lunch break, I just have a sandwich and a twix

And this:

It could be worse, at a previous place of work someone wrapped a turd in cling film and then microwaved it. There are some smells that you never forget, you could actually taste it.

Soldato
Id never thought about it until I read this but yes, there was a guy that did this at a place I temped at many moons ago. It is a bit weird i agree.

Still struggling to see how it's weird. How is it different to sitting on a park bench? Other than it being less comfortable and the audio not being as good as in a car?:p

Man of Honour
I've been in this job 9 years but for the first 3 years I used to sit in my car at dinner time.
If I sat at my desk I would be working so I decided to go out and watch videos in the car and get away from an office full of women.
Six years ago I started cycling so I now go in the kitchen at a time when I'm on my own, nobody else has their dinner at 2pm.
As soon as it gets warmer I'll go outside and sit on a bench.
Sometimes I'll go in a sluice room where I get changed and turn the lights off just to get away.

Associate
I've always done this and thought nothing of it, after this thread I'm paranoid Haha. I just go out so I can vape and listen to my own music/radio plus it's a break from the office

Back
Top Bottom