Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Associate
I feel so poor in my C43 :p

Em5C1e0.jpg
bHdsTmz

tmJx2VT

Soldato
Lol sure if you say so:p

The only real AMG engines are the V8’s and v12’s that Merc do...well their V12’s are being phased out now.

The a45 and c43’s are just poor men’s AMGs in all honesty. Mercedes just trying to tap into the cheaper end of the performance market.

But having driven the A45 for a few days, my cousin had one but got rid of it. I found it not all that exciting especially those ridiculous boy racer-ish pops and bangs. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a quick car for what it is. Just like a golf r but on the whole not an exciting car.

If that makes you feel better sure. Though AMG themselves clearly disagree with you.

The turbo V8’s were originally derided for not being proper AMG engines... so if you think that possibly the best production 4 cylinder turbo isn’t good enough then you’d likely have to write them off as well.

As stated, the C43 is different because the engine is not a one man one engine build (so ergo not an AMG power plant).

I guess in your mind then a Ferrari California / Lamborghini Huracan / Porsche Cayman are poor men’s version of their respective brands?

Don’t you drive a diesel Golf? You must absolute despise that car if you think an A45 isn’t exciting to drive!

Man of Honour
Lol the “poor mans x” argument. Gibbo bought a poor mans Ferrari LaFerrari. Is a C63 just a poor mans AMG GTR?

Pretty pathetic really.

I own a C43. Not arsed that it’s not a “proper” AMG engine. Would have happily bought it if it was still designated the C450 badge. I bought it because it’s a fantastic car in terms of the performance and still offering respectable economy on the odd long trip for work I have to do.

Could have quite easily got a C63, but after test driving both, I opted for the C43 as for what I wanted, it ticked more boxes

Man of Honour
Is a C63 just a poor mans AMG GTR?

Exactly what I was going to say. Where do you draw the line? These are proper AMG brand cars.

The whole 'poor mans' thing seems totally ridiculous. The A45 especially is every bit as bespoke as any AMG car, and it feels like one too.

Soldato
The new A45S is shaping up to be a great package over the outgoing model:
  • Improved performance; 416 bhp, sub 4 to 60
  • 4Matic+ Drift mode ala the Focus RS
  • Class leading interior / infotainment
The significant changes to the a class (more interior room and the split tail lights giving better access to the boot) have resolved two of the biggest complaints about the base car.

Only concern I can see is whether the 45 has a different enough appearance to the A35 now. At the moment it looks like it has the same aero kit as before with likely similar front canards... hopefully they go the extra distance to make it stand apart from that.

Man of Honour
I think the A45S will have the new AMG grille (like the one on the AMG GTR and new C63s etc).

That will set it apart at the front anyway.

Soldato
No doubt there'll be a massive backlash when the first BEV AMG becomes available. Even if it is the fastest car they ever made, since it it's not an AMG as it not's 8/12 cylinder etc. :rolleyes:

Soldato
No doubt there'll be a massive backlash when the first BEV AMG becomes available. Even if it is the fastest car they ever made, since it it's not an AMG as it not's 8/12 cylinder etc. :rolleyes:
Maybe they'll make it with 8 or 12 electric motors to appease the 'purists'.

Associate
I own a C43. Not arsed that it’s not a “proper” AMG engine. Would have happily bought it if it was still designated the C450 badge. I bought it because it’s a fantastic car in terms of the performance and still offering respectable economy on the odd long trip for work I have to do.

Could have quite easily got a C63, but after test driving both, I opted for the C43 as for what I wanted, it ticked more boxes

I totally agree. I could have chosen a C63 as a "proper" AMG (one man, one engine, V8 etc etc) however I am probably the exact target market of the C43 estate, which I own. I wanted a quick car which was interesting to own and something more than a 4-pot hot hatch. I also needed a family car that can transport me and my family in comfort and safety, no matter what the conditions are. The 4matic (with 67% rear bias) was a massive tick in the box for me. Yes, a C63 with RWD is going to be more fun but I don't go to a track so for 99% of driving, the 4matic is quicker and safer more often.

The predominant weather in the UK is wet, all year around. In these conditions, the added grip from 4matic works really well. I've had 250bhp FWD cars which struggle with grip and I have no doubt that a RWD V8 would struggle too. The C43 may only be a V6 but it is a very quick car. If I was a single man who prioritised fun driving over everything else then I would go with a C63. For me as a family man, it's about compromise and the C43 is a pretty good compromise IMHO.

Permabanned
Ordered a C300 Coupe today in brilliant blue. It’s the AMG Line but didn’t go for any extras, preferred to go for the better engine.

Should get it next week, can’t wait. Moving over from a base spec Civic which I needed to get when I started my new business 2 years ago.

Man of Honour
All you poor'ers in your C and A classes.

Proper men drive the E AMG ones, like me.

Man me.

what do you mean "but it's a 4 cylinder diesel?"

Salesman said it was an AMG.

Back
Top Bottom