Living room Extension (single story)

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
The living area in the last picture looks nice but the corner with all the doors seems to just make that end of the room awkward.

You just seem to have a big empty space and I don't see how you'd take advantage of it.

Yeah, idea is more open plan. There is no plan to have any furniture near that area as we want it to more of a focal point overlooking the forest/garden.

That is a lot of glass going in. What provision are you making for heating the space? Underfloor? as you dont have much space left for wall mounted rads. Also how much insulation are you putting in? You are opening up your main living space to a heat sink. I installed Saint Gobain Securit C-lite glass to provide the best thermal efficiency but it was over £800 to glaze my bifolds but it has - Excellent U-value of 1.0W/m2K

We actually need to look into this, however, the existing radiator will be moving from the wall knocked down to the new wall (highlighted red). We will have two big rads in the room.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Worrying about empty space, i decided to do a 3d render.

1.jpg

(first attempt - did not space out seating correctly.)

2.jpg

*the silver create, is the dog pen.

Last edited:
Soldato
what is the orientation of the room, is the end 2m from fence, as productive for external light, as the tv-wall side ?

being able to sit on sofa and look out can be nice, so was thinking, move the end glass onto the tv side-wall and put the tv at that end ..
can then exploit the natural gap in fron of the tv with access corridor to outside.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
The build is finally underway. Progress is slow as the builder has the boys (2 laborers) doing it by hand, i would have thought they would have had a mini-digger in to dig the foundations. Makes no real difference to myself apart from a project timeline.

Building regs want them to go down as far as the foundations. This is likely to be 1.2 - 1.3 m. Still looking at another 2 full days of digging... :o

IMG-2101-1.jpg

Proposed depth -they have yet to reach foundation levels.

IMG-2095.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Our guys had to dig 16m x 1.5m took them a day with a micro JCB and one of those motorized wheel barrows. Our ground is heavy clay and big cobbles. I know that I was shocked how quickly they dug them.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
I am pretty much back to square one :( the depth was getting dangerous (2.1 m) and still not hitting the foot of the foundation. As we live on made up land the ground was collapsing, so a mini digger was not even an option.

Replacing the strip will now be a raft foundation. The laborers have been compacting hardcore today.

IMG-2114-1.jpg

To now: :(

IMG-2147-1.jpg

Soldato
Man than ground looks difficult. We had ours dug and poured last week. Was about 1m deep and the ground was very dense and stoney.

They have started building walls now. I think we will have our roof and windows / door in by about 5 weeks from now

Soldato
Wow seeing those foundations really brings home how little space you are adding.

Seems like a lot of money to me for what you are getting but happy to be proved wrong and hopefully you'll be pleased with the final result.

Back
Top Bottom