A thirsty summer

Soldato
Inspired by this warm spell we're having I've got thinking about this summer. We had a very dry and hot summer in 2018. Just from my own observation we've had quite a dry winter. If this spring and summer is also dry I have a feeling we might be in for water shortages which for some reason I get irrationally nervous about. I'm almost tempted to not Google it to find out more, ignorance is bliss and all that!

What do you think? I know we have a few weather watchers on here!

Soldato
Inspired by this warm spell we're having I've got thinking about this summer. We had a very dry and hot summer in 2018. Just from my own observation we've had quite a dry winter. If this spring and summer is also dry I have a feeling we might be in for water shortages which for some reason I get irrationally nervous about. I'm almost tempted to not Google it to find out more, ignorance is bliss and all that!

What do you think? I know we have a few weather watchers on here!

Anyone here remember 1976?

Caporegime

I remember the summer of 69.

I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played it 'til my fingers bled
Was the summer of sixty-nine
Me and some guys from school
Had a band and we tried real hard
Jimmy quit, Jody got married
I should've known we'd never get far
Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life
Ain't no use in complainin'
When you've got a job to do
Spent my evenings down at the drive-in
And that's when I met you, yeah
Standin' on your mama's porch
You told me that you'd wait forever
Oh, and when you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never
Oh, yeah
Back in the summer of sixty-nine, oh
Man, we were killin' time, we were young and restless
We needed to unwind
I guess nothin' can last forever, forever, no
Yeah
And now the times are changin'
Look at everything that's come and gone
Sometimes when I play that old six-string
I think about you, wonder what went wrong
Standin' on your mama's porch
You told me that it'd last forever
Oh, and when you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never
Oh, yeah
Back in the summer of sixty-nine, oh
It was the summer of sixty-nine, oh, yeah
Me and my baby in sixty-nine, oh
It was the summer, the summer, the summer of sixty-nine, yeah

Man of Honour

I remember it well, that year was my first trip to New York City, to celebrate America’s 200th birthday.
I left in May, returning in June, I flew out of JFK around 11.00 p.m., temperature circa 50 f to the best of my recall, and landed at Heathrow maybe 09.30 a.m., temperature was in the low 70s f, hitting around 90 by noon.
I thought that maybe my plane had been hijacked to Athens, Greece.

Soldato
In terms of "Extreme weather" there has really been very little of it in recent years.

Despite all the angst over "Global Warming"

!963 was utterly beyond anybody born after the late 70's comprehension!

Maybe global warming, maybe not. But the winters of my youth would freeze the marrow in your bones. Nothing in the last 20 year comes anywhere close. A winter like that today with our utter reliance on reliable electricity supplies (Which wasn't the case 55 years ago) would result in 10's of thousands of people freezing to death. I have absolutely no doubt at all about this.

In 63, it was so ******* cold that there were concerns that the Channel would be closed to navigation as a consequence of being frozen over, as it was the sea froze 4-5 miles out from the shore each side!!

Poeople had to endure weeks without electricity in temperatures below -16C, but back then it wasnt a problem since most people heated thier homes with coal and electricity wasnt needed to stay alive

Nowadys! :eek:

I remember it well, that year was my first trip to New York City, to celebrate America’s 200th birthday.
I left in May, returning in June, I flew out of JFK around 11.00 p.m., temperature circa 50 f to the best of my recall, and landed at Heathrow maybe 09.30 a.m., temperature was in the low 70s f, hitting around 90 by noon.
I thought that maybe my plane had been hijacked to Athens, Greece.

That was on the cooler side of things, My family was living in the Hague at the time and the big thermometer on the building just down the road from where we lived spent a week basically touching 40C

When the weather broke and it suddenly dropped back to 30C people went out wearing coats!

Back
Top Bottom